What's new

Gone too far by getting to close?

So, I was at a flea market the other day and spied a 600x-1000x microscope. After fishing around in my pocket I produced the necessary change to procure it; $5. (In Canada we have a $1 & $2 coins, btw, it wasn't all quarters)
It is awesome! I've been examining the edge that every sharpening implement that I have can produce. All of my 'analysis' is comparison based to my own edges, tho.
Anyone else ever try this?
Has anyone come across microscopic images of edges on the innernettes?

Last edited:
Hi,

have a look through this forum, you'll find some incredible pictures from the Hubble microscope or something or other that lets you see even closer.
It might be the Large Hadron Collider (thank God for the absence of auto-correct) rather than the hubble microscope (made them both up - just scientific names I thought might make me sound intelligent).

Hi,

have a look through this forum, you'll find some incredible pictures from the Hubble microscope or something or other that lets you see even closer.
It might be the Large Hadron Collider (thank God for the absence of auto-correct) rather than the hubble microscope (made them both up - just scientific names I thought might make me sound intelligent).

Fitting science-y words, as I'm trying to get a blade sharp enough to cut through the fabric of time & space. If I can just get back to the 80's I plan on romancing Debbie Harry.

Fitting science-y words, as I'm trying to get a blade sharp enough to cut through the fabric of time & space. If I can just get back to the 80's I plan on romancing Debbie Harry.
LOL.
If you are searching for some unbelievable pictures, look for pictures posted by member Fuzzy Chops. He has access to a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), and you can sure learn a lot from what you see. Apparently even at this level, what you see is subjective.
Here's an example of what to look for http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/368699-Grit-and-Microscopic-Scratch-Depth.

There are also lots of users that have scopes outfitted with cameras that take and post pictures from time to time. It's all very informative.

An admirable goal sir!

I have to agree that Fuzzy Chops has produced some fantastic pictures that he has very kindly shared with us all. Do you have any plans on being able to photograph your edges? Would love to take a look.

Top Bottom