What's new

Gomme/Gum Syrup

Anyone have any experience with making and/or using gum syrup for cocktails? It is basically a very saturated simple syrup with gum arabic. It is said to have been a very common pre-prohibition ingredient or side/chaser that is supposed to do interesting things to cocktails, including round out harsh alcohol tastes. (Apparently it was offered more or less automatically as a shot chaser, when whisky was harsh and of dubious provenance.) Authentic pisco sours seem to include it.

So far, I do not see that it has a great effect. Also, I do not understand why the simple syrup needs to be supersaturated with sugar. If anything, I find I have to be careful to dial back the asweetness in most mixed drinks. It is supposed to be particularly good in an old-fashioned, and I feel the need to really watch the amount of sugar in an old-fashioned. Also, I bought two ounces of gum arabic on Amazon for about $8, but then just got an lb for $13. One has to be careful to order edible gum arabic and not get something designed for water colors. Both versions I have seem to be edible, but that price swing is huge. Is there something about $13 lb gum arabic which makes it inferior for cocktails?

I like the idea that this is authentic old school stuff and not all that easily available.

Any experience or thoughts at all?

Top Bottom