What's new

Golf: Post Your Score

Bad stretch with 3/4 rounds over 90 (and one 89). Moving back in the right direction with an 87 followed by an 84. Hope the trend continues!

Picked up golf this year in May and have been playing about 36 - 45 holes a week. So a lot of golf. I'm also blessed with a large stature and a naturally straight drive. Shot a 79 Saturday and a 76 Sunday.

Picked up golf this year in May and have been playing about 36 - 45 holes a week. So a lot of golf. I'm also blessed with a large stature and a naturally straight drive. Shot a 79 Saturday and a 76 Sunday.
That’s a heck of a start! it’s been close to ten years since I’ve shot anything in the 70’s. Playing at least once per week this year so I’m hopeful it’ll happen again soon.

Macungie means Bear Swamp, right> Mack Truck had a plant thereabouts I think.
Yes Sir! The Mack Truck plant is still there right around the corner from the course I play regularly.

I've always been an intermittent golfer and have gone stretches of a few years in between outings. Love the game, but other things have tended to take priority. However, I've played three rounds in the last three weeks (unusual for me), and took 12 shots off my score from the first round to the third round. Still in the neighborhood of double bogey golf - an occasional par, a few bogeys, and plenty of double bogeys resulting from consistently straight drives and fairway shots, but dismal chipping and inconsistent putting - but have had a wonderful time out there, even in Ga.'s summer heat. And, to me, that is one of golf's best virtues.

I haven't remembered to check this thread since I posted in January....! I've played twice a week all summer (being retired helps!), and have been doing pretty well. I shot my age (actually 73, which is one less than my age) a couple of weeks ago, but followed it up with an ugly 86. I guess you could say consistency isn't exactly my strong suit, LOL. I usually average somewhere around 80 on most courses, playing the Senior tees. Glad to see this thread is alive and active....I'll try to check back more often!!

mess playing good golf and got my handicap down to 13.2. Last two rounds have had back pain/stiffness and shot 93 and 89. Time to hit the gym and work on my core strength.

Ok. You all are good golfers. Me? Not so much. I admit that I really don’t play. I’ve taken a lesson or two and have played a grand total of 5 rounds in my life. I live on a block where most of the guys play so what regularly. They will admit they aren’t all that good with the best of them averaging in the mid 80’s but most shooting in the high 90’s to just over 100. Then there’s me. Yesterday I joined them in a “memorial” tournament. About 18 of us playing a round and then getting together afterwards to award the green jacket and drink a keg of beer. My score? 89......on the front 9. And 89......on the back 9. 178. Pitiful. And I never want to play that stupid game ever again. I’d rather get on my road bike and ride for 20 to 40 miles than chase that silly ball losing many of them. And for what? So I can flip out and want to kill people? Not fun for me. Obviously I have zero natural ability. And I hereby officially banish myself from the sport for good.

Ok. You all are good golfers. Me? Not so much. I admit that I really don’t play. I’ve taken a lesson or two and have played a grand total of 5 rounds in my life. I live on a block where most of the guys play so what regularly. They will admit they aren’t all that good with the best of them averaging in the mid 80’s but most shooting in the high 90’s to just over 100. Then there’s me. Yesterday I joined them in a “memorial” tournament. About 18 of us playing a round and then getting together afterwards to award the green jacket and drink a keg of beer. My score? 89......on the front 9. And 89......on the back 9. 178. Pitiful. And I never want to play that stupid game ever again. I’d rather get on my road bike and ride for 20 to 40 miles than chase that silly ball losing many of them. And for what? So I can flip out and want to kill people? Not fun for me. Obviously I have zero natural ability. And I hereby officially banish myself from the sport for good.
I’ve been there! For my buddies who just want to smack the ball around, we just do par 3 courses or better yet TopGolf!

I’ve been there! For my buddies who just want to smack the ball around, we just do par 3 courses or better yet TopGolf!

I hit 5s on the par 3s. Then I hit 12s on the par 5s. I'd actually be ok with a 140 or 150. I could justify the social aspect of the game for a respectably bad score. But 178? The next worse score was 127. From a guy who plays as much as I do. ***? I realize I can't be "competitive". But that doesn't mean I'm fine humiliating myself out there like that. I'm literally done. And I couldn't stick around for the gathering afterwards. I stopped by, drank a couple beers from the keg and then took off. All anyone was talking about was golf, mostly. The funniest thing I heard that day was someone said they enjoy being out in "nature". Give me a break. A golf course is nature? Hardly. It's a very large living room with a massive green carpet and some trees designed to eat balls. If that's nature then what the heck would they call hiking down a trail in the Adirondack Mountains in New York or the White Mountains in New Hampshire? Now THAT is nature. Obviously I'm still ticked off. And I'm sure my anger has only a little to do with golf. I leave it there.

I have been all over lately. I post an 82 and then a 98. I actually finished eagle, par, par, par to shoot 88 2 weeks ago and I can't tell you what I did differently to stop the doubles and triples I was making. Love this game! Maybe I need some of that gum Tiger and Phil are chewing the whole round?

That is amazing! Sinbad, you da man!

I've written elsewhere about my spinal surgeries, two fusions and two 10" rods attached. Because of that I can't bend at the waist or twist very much. I took up golf in my early 30s because my best friend golfed all his life and I felt I was missing out. Because of my back my swing with a driver was about as long as everyone else's 9 iron swing so I needed to make up for that with working on timing, hands, and getting my swing as sound as possible. Plus my short game. With practice, practice, practice I got where I could hit my driver 220 to 230. To make up for my lack of distance I carried a Big Bertha driver that I could hit off the carpet. My best friend was a tennis pro who could get us on most courses, public or private for free during slow times so we played Friday afternoons till dark. I learned to play fast golf without feeling rushed at all, 18 in two hours more or less if no one slowed us down so we usually played 27 or 36. I managed to get were I was consistently in low 80s and my best round was at his club which was on the short, tight side. One over. It was one of those days just the opposite of what you can usually expect. For instance, I hit a branch of a tree next to the green and it bounced towards the hole and left me with a tap in. The shot was heading long and right otherwise. Things like that all day.
Anyway, sorry for another ramble but that's what happens when you go from very active to zero suddenly.

Last edited:
As I've said before, I've played this game for 60-65 years. Over the course of those years, I've made 1 hole in one and 5 eagles.....I made the 5th one YESTERDAY on the first hole, a par five. I drove it down the middle, not very long, since it was the first shot of the morning, and I wasn't warmed up yet. Hit my next with a fairway wood which left me an 8 iron away from the green. I hit the shot well and watched it fly straight at the flag, bounce twice on the green, then roll right into the cup!!! Nice to start out a round two under par, but naturally, I gave back those
strokes and more the rest of the way around!!

As I've said before, I've played this game for 60-65 years. Over the course of those years, I've made 1 hole in one and 5 eagles.....I made the 5th one YESTERDAY on the first hole, a par five. I drove it down the middle, not very long, since it was the first shot of the morning, and I wasn't warmed up yet. Hit my next with a fairway wood which left me an 8 iron away from the green. I hit the shot well and watched it fly straight at the flag, bounce twice on the green, then roll right into the cup!!! Nice to start out a round two under par, but naturally, I gave back those
strokes and more the rest of the way around!!
No you really didn't give anything back, well scorewise you did but that's what I learned about golf, the other 17 holes aren't the real you, it's that one you shot the best on, that's really you and it's why you keep going back. Congratulations RB, a no putt eagle! Getting a par on a hole without taking your putter out is a great feeling, but an Eagle? You, RB, are the man!

Been erratic as of late. Last four rounds are 97-82-94-85. Grip change and getting my swing on video have me confident I can have more of those 80’s rounds and less of the 90‘s ones.

Got out for my first round of the year Saturday and shot a disappointing 88. Sitting at a 13.2 handicap and looking to go low this year. Posting season officially opens 4/1.

I loved the game. Although all my friends played all their lives and two were scratch players I never took it up until I was 31. I was obsessed after all my surgeries and inactivity that followed, obsessed with proving I was good at demanding sports and I didn't think of golf as demanding. Boy was I wrong.

Played my first round of the year this week. Been having back problems, but decided to try it....shot an 83, and hit several good shots. Chipping and putting let me down, but the greens are not in mid-season form though, so not too disappointed.

Top Bottom