What's new

Golden Nib's Super Badger

Just finished making a brush with Tony's a 20 mm Super Badger Fan Shaped not. I have to say to date this is an incredible not. Firstly, the 20 mm sounds like it would be a meager sized brush but the shape and design gives a quick and effortless coverage, comparable to a not much larger in the light bulb shape. As far as whipping up a lather in the cup with hard soap it did it with little effort. The feel on the face is very soft but not floppy. The fact that the knot base is smaller allows it to be used in materials like horn, which I like very much and can be accomidated in places where other larger nots would be too big.
Overall, it is superior in every way that I can personally judge a not available to the brush maker. I am sure a conisiour of well made brushes can offer a better comparison, but after having made a few from various size silver tips I must say I wish I had tried these earlier.
Mike

20mm Super Badger Hair Knot

Fiddle-dee, I'm glad to hear the positive report on the Super. I have a couple of old brushes that need to be re-bristled, and I've been thinking and wondering about the "super" badger knots that Tony sells. Thanks!

I had two knots arrive last week from Golden Nib. The first is an 18mm pure badger that cost 12 dollars, and the second a 20mm British pure dark badger (that actually measures 16mm) at 14 dollars. Postage to the UK was 6 dollars.

I wanted to make two very cheap, but high quality travel brushes for myself and my son. The handles were from a bunch of brushes that I bought a few years ago from my local discount store for less than a dollar each, that I use in my workshop for cleaning guitars. I found a couple in the back of a drawer that I had never used, so pulled out the knots and used them.

I have to say that both brushes are fantastic, and are worth every penny.

Go ahead and order - you won't be dissapointed.

I restored my brush with a Golden Nib 20mm Silvertip Badger Hair Knot a few weeks ago and love the brush. Can't beat it for $16. Fast service and delivery also.

Thank you for the info, I just ordered a 20 mm. silvertip and a 21 mm. UK super badger from them to fit in these:

proxy.php

Regards.

Jakob

Jakob - that horn handle is amazing. It's going to be quite the brush once you re-knot it.

Also, FWIW - I got a 20mm knot in Finest from goldennib and while it works great - whips up amazing lather, feels wonderful on the face - it has lost a few hairs since I've gotten it. This is the machine made variety, not the UK handmade.

Thank you for the info, I just ordered a 20 mm. silvertip and a 21 mm. UK super badger from them to fit in these:

proxy.php

Regards.

Jakob

Wow Jacob,
Is the one on the right laminated bone? Did you make it?? How cool. I got the Chinese one and can not comment on the UK one. Let us know how it is when finished. I really think my SB will be my go to brush and plan on making a few more with the larger sizes and the UK knot too.
Mike

Top Bottom