What's new

Gold Wash and etching Straight Razors

Are gold wash and etchings on straight razors typically more expensive, asking the SR collectors in the forums? If yes, we might be all raccoons, all looking for the next shiny thing.

Legion

Staff member
Gold wash and plating tends to be one indication of quality. Some people may chase it, and pay extra for it.

It is often not too durable, so wears away over time and use. So pristine gold is nice to have on a NOS razor when you can find it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm not overly fussed about gold on my SRs. I do however like a good deep etching that is relevant to the blade.

Either option does not add much to the cost of manufacture, however it may add to the purchase cost for those who like the looks of it.

People are willing to pay for what catches their eye. I don't drill down too deep into the minutia of what a feature costs the manufacturer to provide.

If I like what I see, I buy it. Etching and gold washes alone have never sheared a whisker. But for many, they add that esthetic appeal that makes you comfortable with your purchase.

People pay more money for vintage razors with etching and gold plating/wash in good condition.

If my time machine was working and I could go back and buy some new Wade & Butchers and Filarmonicas, I would try to buy them with no etching or plating. No etching or plating allows me to easily clean up any rust or scratches and return the blade to mint condition. But that's me!

You can also remove damaged etching and plating with sandpaper, but you are at risk of disturbing the gods of straight razors.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The presence of the ‘decoration’ also seemed cultural. Spanish, German, and English razors frequently had elaborate etching or gold wash. American, Japanese, and Swedish razors had noticeably less decoration as a group. Early on, French razors were usually plain, but later they started using more elaborate decorations.

Gold wash is very fragile, a pain in the butt and looks ratty once scratched. I am often asked to remove it completely. A few minutes on the buffer will completely remove it.

It is usually new shavers who buy “Gold” and yes, they do pay for it.

I would never buy a gold wash razor except for detail on the blade like Filarmonica.

Gold wash is very fragile, a pain in the butt and looks ratty once scratched. I am often asked to remove it completely. A few minutes on the buffer will completely remove it.

It is usually new shavers who buy “Gold” and yes, they do pay for it.

I would never buy a gold wash razor except for detail on the blade like Filarmonica.

I'm wondering if aesthetics sells also true in the Razor world. I'm one of the new shavers and gold washes do catch my eyes a bit too much.

Top Bottom