What's new

Gold Rocket Set

I know, that the Gold Rocket is rare. But now I´m the happy owner of a Gold Rocket Set. I´ve never seen before that Gold case:

$418 1948-1954  Rocket Gold-01.jpg

$418 1948-1954  Rocket Gold-03.jpg

$418 1948-1954  Rocket Gold-04.jpg

Very interesting. It looks like a gold-plated No. 15 case. Achim, can you tell whether the handle rest is sized to fit a larger knob like an Aristocrat's, or is it sized down to only fit the Rocket's narrower handle the way the ones in the No. 88 and No. 47 cases were?

Very interesting. It looks like a gold-plated No. 15 case. Achim, can you tell whether the handle rest is sized to fit a larger knob like an Aristocrat's, or is it sized down to only fit the Rocket's narrower handle the way the ones in the No. 88 and No. 47 cases were?

the case fit a Aristocrat too:

$2015-02-20 17-32-21_0003.jpg

$2015-02-20 17-34-08_0013.jpg

the case fit a Aristocrat too:

Hmm... That would make me think that the case was probably meant for an Aristocrat originally, then. The rests that they made specifically for the thinner handled razors won't fit an Aristocrat-sized knob. Have we ever seen any evidence of a gold-plated version of the No. 15 set, though?

Does such thing as a gold plated 2nd Generation UK Aristocrat exist?

Could it be just another version of the 1st Generation, like this one?

proxy.php

Does such thing as a gold plated 2nd Generation UK Aristocrat exist?

I don't see any reason why they couldn't or wouldn't have existed, but I can't think of any specific evidence that says that they did either. That still wouldn't solve the problem of what a gold set like that would have been called regardless of the generation.

Could it be just another version of the 1st Generation, like this one?

That's the set I called out specifically here as a weird case. If that set had just been found on its own I would have said that it was probably some variation of the No. 19 set -- leather covered case with gold-plated razor -- just with different leather. It's possible that that's exactly what it is and someone just later paired it with a No. 15 shipper.

From everything else we've seen, Gillette England used different number designations for changes in the case and the plating. For example, the No. 19 and No. 20 sets: both leather-cased Aristocrats, just with gold and rhodium plating, respectively. But I don't recall ever seeing anything that would tell us what a gold-plated metal-cased Aristocrat set -- the gold equivalent of the No. 15 -- should be called.

All I know is its pretty. And thats really about it. After looking at your site I cant believe you own all those. You should insure that collection for about what, $100,000 or more? Ha, really outstanding collection, you must have guys in special places digging these up for you!

edgar, i mean your black leathered case, cause i think those cases were not sell with a gold razor. furthermore, the i think such a case was for a second second generation #15 which was sold with a close comb, australian market...

Top Bottom