What's new

Gold Plating

Does anyone have experience having their razors gold plated?

Two companies I see that do this are Back Roads Gold and Razor Emporium.

Anyone used either of these companies for this service?

Compare the look of razors that have been replated with "thick" layer of plating vs. a thin layer of plating. Sharp edges are important to me. When plating is too thick, the sharp edges and are no longer present AND the tolerances change.

Compare the look of razors that have been replated with "thick" layer of plating vs. a thin layer of plating. Sharp edges are important to me. When plating is too thick, the sharp edges and are no longer present AND the tolerances change.
Who have you used before?

R

romsitsa

If you have a plating shop near you, it’s worth asking them. This Goodwill was repaired and polished by me and plated by a local shop in four stages. Silver base, gold primer, hard gold and “decorative” gold.

E6BAD6AA-D4AC-41F9-8A61-6D044EDC6630.jpeg

Adam

RazorPlate did my work. I considered Gold and Nickel. In the end, it came down to longevity and cost. I have only had a couple replated with Nickel. Don't misunderstand me, I think the work was outstanding, however I noticed a slight difference in the shave. I was then reminded of some work i considered on a pistol, only to discover that in order to strip the frame and slide to bare metal, there would be some loss of material. Replating would then add new material, but matching the original tolerances are basically impossible. In the end, I came to the conclusion that function was more important than the looks for something I wanted to actually shave with.
This was my conclusion, however, others may have a very different take.

RazorPlate did my work. I considered Gold and Nickel. In the end, it came down to longevity and cost. I have only had a couple replated with Nickel. Don't misunderstand me, I think the work was outstanding, however I noticed a slight difference in the shave. I was then reminded of some work i considered on a pistol, only to discover that in order to strip the frame and slide to bare metal, there would be some loss of material. Replating would then add new material, but matching the original tolerances are basically impossible. In the end, I came to the conclusion that function was more important than the looks for something I wanted to actually shave with.
This was my conclusion, however, others may have a very different take.
It makes sense and definitely something to consider. Thanks

If you have a plating shop near you, it’s worth asking them. This Goodwill was repaired and polished by me and plated by a local shop in four stages. Silver base, gold primer, hard gold and “decorative” gold.

View attachment 1056863

Adam
Adam does A-Mazing work! And that razor is simply one of the best. Ever. I use a 162 on a regular basis, worked in with a NEW Short Comb, an ABC 102, and 102.

R

romsitsa

Who does that sort of work? Just Google metal playing near me?

I can’t really help you with that, but it could work. Or ask a museum or church who they contract for such jobs. In theory there should be a shop that can plate larger objects (like a cup for eg.) than a jeweller would.

Adam

razor plate or back roads gold

I like gold but I am considering doing the handle in dark rhodium and the two plates in gold.

Are you thinking about a three part razor or an vintage adjustable like a fat boy? if the latter, than I think that plating is a good opportunity to have an expert take it apart, check its tolerances and revamp it for you.

One piece razors have to be disassembled for plating, so going to a random local place might not be the best idea unless they have experience with that kind of thing. Just a thought.

Another vote for Chris at Razorplate. He does superior work and replated my Double Ring. He is usually busy but the wait to get on the list is worth it.

I only work with Chris at Razorplate, don't care about the others. Whatever you decide, DO NOT deal with RE for the reasons mentioned above!

Top Bottom