What's new

Gold plated vintage razor question

So, in general, does the gold plating hold up, or are these more like museum relics that shouldn't really be used much? Any special care required?
Also a quick question on the 1930s and 40's style Gillette TTO's vs "The New" Gillette razors... I guess there is no question here, lol, but does anyone have thoughts on these?

I have no answers, but I'm watching this thread since I have both a newly plated gold Gillette Goodwill and a 'new to me' Gillette NEW with gorgeously intact original gold plating.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

gold is soft and is not really durable, salts and acids will eat it away. If we say a modern gold plating has a durability of 1, then silver would be 10, nickel 100, and the vintage Gillette gold 0,01.
As for care, use soap, hot water and a gold cleaning rug.

Adam

Some of the old Gillette razors, especially the cheaper mass market ones, had what amounted to a gold wash on them, rather than proper plating. You need to be really careful with them — even lengthy soaking in hot soapy water can bring the gold off. The better quality ones, like the 1930s Aristocrats, had much heavier gold plating, but even that's not as durable as rhodium, or nickel. Gold is, after all, a relatively soft material, and is particularly prone to abrasion.

Some of the old Gillette razors, especially the cheaper mass market ones, had what amounted to a gold wash on them, rather than proper plating. You need to be really careful with them — even lengthy soaking in hot soapy water can bring the gold off. The better quality ones, like the 1930s Aristocrats, had much heavier gold plating, but even that's not as durable as rhodium, or nickel. Gold is, after all, a relatively soft material, and is particularly prone to abrasion.

Great summary!! BE CAREFUL!!

Okay thank you for the good advice! I'll probably just drive on Sundays... Using the 34c as the daily..
Plus, seeing as our water goes through a softener, sounds like the residual salt ions may not be great for the gold plating. +Rep to yinz

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I really love the beauty of bare brass, and many gold-plated razors are either red or yellow brass. On more than a few acquisitions, I intentionally removed the gold wash/plating and polished the brass to unplated beauty.

I really love the beauty of bare brass, and many gold-plated razors are either red or yellow brass. On more than a few acquisitions, I intentionally removed the gold wash/plating and polished the brass to unplated beauty.

Thank you for this post! Had a first, excellent shave with a certain NEW LC ‘No. 7’ today. I will continue to baby that razor, but I won’t lament as the gold wash fades.

Hannah's Dad

Thank you for this post! Had a first, excellent shave with a certain NEW LC ‘No. 7’ today. I will continue to baby that razor, but I won’t lament as the gold wash fades.
Glad you’re enjoying the NEW, my friend!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
As mentioned before, just be careful. Don't use any abrasive cleaners, just soap and water as the older Gillette's had basically a gold wash that comes off very easily.

Not all gold plating is equal, and things like hard water, chemicals, and hard water can take a toll on gold plated razors.

I like how Back Roads Gold does a good job gold plating razors, which uses dip plating over electroplating. In any case, I hope you'll post your results here!

Welp. I just used my 1930 "New". Talk about weepers!! Even some gushers, unfortunately. And my throat is red and bumpy now. Oh well, I felt like a MAN with that heavy gold razor !! I will have to work on my technique once the wounds heal up. I was probably pressing too hard and the 30 degree angle is hard tjo acheve under the chin.
The aftershave was a big mistake too.

@Hannah's Dad - Very interesting.. I have another one in "vintage condition", i.e. - not great. To strip her down to just bare brass (that sounded wrong), but anyway - this is something I'd like to try.

Could I ask how you did it? Chemicals?

Hannah's Dad

@Hannah's Dad - Very interesting.. I have another one in "vintage condition", i.e. - not great. To strip her down to just bare brass (that sounded wrong), but anyway - this is something I'd like to try.

Could I ask how you did it? Chemicals?
Just about any metal polish will remove the gold plating. I use Maas and Flitz. It just takes a little elbow grease and the gold will be gone.

Just about any metal polish will remove the gold plating. I use Maas and Flitz. It just takes a little elbow grease and the gold will be gone.

Okay great, and thanks. Then would I buff it up with some kind of rotating brush and use brasso or something? What about removing the nickel plating to get down to the brass? Does the Flitz remove that as well?

Hannah's Dad

Okay great, and thanks. Then would I buff it up with some kind of rotating brush and use brasso or something? What about removing the nickel plating to get down to the brass? Does the Flitz remove that as well?
Polishes remove plating, whether it’s gold or nickel. The same polish will shine your brass quite well. I just use old cotton t-shirts.

And lastly, good sir, if I may..
What kind of care is required once it's down to bare brass? I remember my old trumpet used to turn green in some areas but I don't remember what I did. (Use the same polish with cotton t-shirt when that happens?)

Oh, and will the knurled handle also get down to bare brass with this technique? Or are there too many crevices, etc...?

Top Bottom