What's new

Gold plated vintage razor question

Thanks for the tip Fairwind! I already got some Flitz on Ebay, per Hannah's dad's recommendation but will keep this brand in mind as well. So, do I have to soak it and wait for a while, or just apply and buff with an old cotton t-shirt?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Thanks for the tip Fairwind! I already got some Flitz on Ebay, per Hannah's dad's recommendation but will keep this brand in mind as well. So, do I have to soak it and wait for a while, or just apply and buff with an old cotton t-shirt?
Apply and buff till only brass remains. Old white athletic socks work well, too.

Apply, wait a bit and brush with a toothbrush. You should see brassing at this point. Reapply until you get what you want. Using a towel to buff might speed it up. I did it by accident, I've never intentionally taken the plating off.

Hannah's Dad

image.jpg An example of an intentionally stripped razor — my favorite Goodwill #160. Pure, red brass on the cap. All I used was Flitz and a rag.

I have an O4 Gillette Super that is gold plated. It was purchased new in 69 or 70 and still has a smooth gold finish. The numbers no longer have any paint, but the gold is pristine.

Hannah's Dad

I have an O4 Gillette Super that is gold plated. It was purchased new in 69 or 70 and still has a smooth gold finish. The numbers no longer have any paint, but the gold is pristine.
Was the gold plating of better quality on the those adjustables?

They would have been because gold plated adjustables were high end Aristocrats that were expensive when new. The kind of razors with gold wash were cheapies like the Tech. I have a gold postwar Tech that was apparently almost never used, because it is still gold. I got it, saw it still had its original finish, used it once, and put it away for permanent display. I'll never have a razor that good looking again, and if I use this one, it won't stay that way.

Oh this all is GREAT info. Thank you Hanna's Dad and the rest of yinz. I am going to brass this baby when she arrives.

R

romsitsa

All gold platings were roughly the same, gold is simply not durable.

This is a lightly used Executive left to rot (almost no fading, brass rots):
IMG_1090.JPG

This is a properly stored Executive used on a daily basis (cap, dial a knob faded):
IMG_4530.JPG

Properly stored, droped a few times (almost pristine, cap scratched):
IMG_2356.JPG
Adam

Top Bottom