What's new

Gold New Deluxe Big Boy

The 1930s were a tough time for many people, but Gillette thought there was a market for a high end razor kit, and this was one of them. The Big Boy only cost $7.50, but in 1930 that was a major expense for many double edged shavers. The owner of this one must have kept this one in his cabinet -- never had the need to use it. So when I got this Big Boy, it was totally pristine -- mint like when it was minted. I was quite pleased when another collector offered it to me -- and glad to share it with you.

proxy.php

The shipper got a little banged up over the past 80 years.

proxy.php

Great colors on the package for the set. Priced at $7.50.

proxy.php

Beautiful case -- wrapped up in this nice cotton bag.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hard to polish gold plated razors, but this one really didn't really need much cleaning.

proxy.php

The case is remarkably mint. No polishing or re-lacquering needed on this beauty.

Wow, that looks stunning! My own gillette big boy pales in comparison. But hey, I can use mine to actually shave with it ;-)

I love the outter shipper, I can imagine walking into a store and seeing how it would just grab your attention right away...

Beautiful set, Jake. I should also add that the Big Boy is not nearly as aggressive as some have stated. Serious shaver? Sure. But several modern razors have more bite, IMO. Still, the Big Boy is at the very least eye candy and a great part of DE history. :thumbup1:

I found one of those in an antique shop a couple of months ago. Didn't know they existed until then. I posted some pics at the time, but mine of course, has been used. The razor is still in nice shape, just the lining in the case shows some wear.

Beautiful razors, not the most aggressive I've seen, but with what it weighs, it could cause tennis elbow as a daily shaver.

Very nice Jake!

Thanks Gents. It is a nice set, and like others who have mentioned, the Big Boy is not the most aggressive ATMO. The heft is incredible, the fit & finish fantastic. Another example of how Gillette really used to manufacture excellent products, and about how "they really don't make them like they used to." Well the new Muhle, stainless Feathers & Pils razors are very nice examples of quality craftsmanship, but the entire package of these items from 80+ years ago -- really outstanding.

And I feel fortunate in being able to own a few examples from this heyday of American manufacturing excellence!

Top Bottom