What's new

Gold Fatip Open Comb Slant - First Shave

I have heard lots of wonderful things about the Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS), and I have to admit that I was somewhat skeptical. This is my fourth Fatip, not counting a Schone, so I have some experience with Fatip razors. But at $38 shipped from Connaught, the gold FOCS was just too tempting to ignore. It arrived yesterday, and I must say that this is a very pretty razor. Even my wife, who is perplexed by my growing collection of shaving accoutrements, remarked that it was "a very fancy looking razor." Here are a couple of pics:

IMG_20210107_091551.jpgIMG_20210107_091604.jpg

The fit and finish is clearly the best of any Fatip I have seen. I'm not sure if this is due to better QC at Fatip or just good luck. The knob at the bottom of the handle still has a few rougher spots (it pulled the washcloth it's sitting on when I picked it up after the photo), but the overall quality is quite impressive. I put a new Personna Israeli red blade in and it locked into place perfectly. With my other Fatip razors, there is some play around the pins so you need to check the alignment and possibly adjust it by hand. I've never found that to be a big deal, but it is certainly preferable to have the blade fit snugly in a perfectly aligned position.

So does it live up to the hype? There was only one way to find out. I lathered up with Mike's Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper using my new Yaqi Mink synthetic brush and started in on my normal 2 pass plus touchup shave. I was immediately impressed at how smooth the razor is. I'm not one to focus on shaving angles; I've always found razors to have a "natural" angle and that's what I use. There was a moderate amount of blade feel, but less than with my Fatip open comb piccolo or grande. The only negative I can report, and this is a personal preference issue, is that I find the short handle less than optimal. As you may be able to see in the second photo, the handle is rather small compared to what my wife refers to as my "butcher's fingers." I know that I can get some other handles, like the wooden one I used to have, but I am too fond of the looks of this gold razor to replace that handle.

To answer my own question - yes, it lives up to the hype. The shave was effortless and the results outstanding. Perhaps my other open comb slant, a Yaqi, is a bit more efficient, but I'm not willing to say that yet, and the Yaqi, while even more of a bargain, is not for the faint of heart. It amps up blade feel to just this side of uncomfortable. The FOCS, even on a first shave, was wonderfully smooth and produced a shave as close or closer than any of my other DE razors.

Last edited:
Glad you found yourself among the growing band of users who love this razor :)

I referenced the FOCS in my recent review of the Muhle R41 and commented that one of it's best properties was that it was intuitive to use, which seems to be what you too have discovered.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for your thoughts. I have a couple of slants but I am neither here nor there with them. Glad you found something slantwise that works for you. They are a good looking razor.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have yet to find the perfect blade for my FOCS, but it's a good shaving razor for sure.

Today I did a side by side comparison of the FOCS and the Yaqi Double Open Comb Slant. These are the only slants I still own, and the only open comb slants I have used. The Yaqi has the open comb top plate in addition to the open comb base plate. That makes it look more intimidating, but I'm not sure how it actually affects the shave. One big difference in these two is the handle. I mentioned in my original review that the FOCS handle is a bit short for my liking. The handle that I put on the Yaqi (it came as a head only) is a long and heavy stainless handle that I bought from Signature Shaving. I tried a few other handles on the Yaqi head, but this is my favorite so fat. Here is a look at the two side by side.

razors.jpg

Both razors had Personna Israeli Red blades with one shave on them. Once again I lathered up with Mike's Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper soap and went to work with the FOCS on the right side and the Yaqi on the left. The two most salient differences were the size and weight of the handle and the amount of blade feel. I've already talked about the handle, but for me the longer handle is a big advantage. Blade feel is another story. I've accustomed myself to the Yaqi, but unless you really like the feel of the blade scraping across your skin, you might find the Yaqi unsettling. Oddly, I have never had any cuts, nicks or irritation from the Yaqi, but it says something that I'm always surprised by that fact. The FOCS just quietly goes about its business, gliding over your face.

So what about results? Pretty much the same. The FOCS side might be slightly closer, but my wife couldn't tell any difference. Also, I often find that I shave the right side more closely than the left. I'm not sure if that is common, but as a right handed person, it seems as if the right side is my forehand and the left my backhand (and while I've never been much of a tennis player, my forehand was always my better side). Tomorrow I'll switch sides, but I'm pretty comfortable saying that both of these razors produce comparable and excellent shaves. Use the FOCS if you want an easy, comfortable and efficient shave. Use the Yaqi if you want to finish your shave feeling as if you have mastered a dangerous tool (even though it really isn't). I have to admit that I do get a strange sense of satisfaction whenever I use the Yaqi. I expect that is how I would feel about using a straight razor if I had the guts to try one.

Top Bottom