What's new

Gold Dollar W59 - Preparing the edge

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
New to honing, will start it off with a lapping film kit and a just ordered GD N71. I guess the blade will come similar to what you found on yours. What would you suggest?

A. Progression 3u to 1u w/ wet paper bellow, finish with strap - would it become shave ready?
B. Progression from 30u to A. above - would it get rid of the smile effect you mention?
C. Start with a 100u (part of the kit) and then B. above?

I recognize that the main first struggle to me will be to identify what exactly that new blade needs....
I am not familiar with the Gold Dollar N71. I have only have had W59's.

Don't over think what you might get. First receive your N71 and then consider what, if anything, needs to be done with it.

That is exactly my problem, how to identify what it may need. I can always try to shave with it, ruin my face and therefore conclude it needs work but as I said I already expect it needs some attention out of the box. :(

Would you suggest I somehow “reset” by kind of killing any edge it may have and then follow process B. as described before?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A. Progression 3u to 1u w/ wet paper bellow, finish with strap - would it become shave ready?
B. Progression from 30u to A. above - would it get rid of the smile effect you mention?
C. Start with a 100u (part of the kit) and then B. above?

When you get the razor, take a decent picture and folks will give you some better advice.

the “smile effect” is very different depending on the model. Working at the 800-1000 level is probably the lowest you want to go with a bevel because of the work required to get back to that level imho.

When you get the razor, take a decent picture and folks will give you some better advice.

the “smile effect” is very different depending on the model. Working at the 800-1000 level is probably the lowest you want to go with a bevel because of the work required to get back to that level imho.

Great, will do so.

Will try to find the best light/angle so that a picture will actually show it!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
OK, here is what I do with every new SR that I receive. I first look at the blade's profile. If I am happy with that (and that is a personal choice), I then use a marker pen to check the bevel/spine geometry. From there I decide what work, if any, that I wish to do on the razor before shaving with it.

Most of my new razors have been supplied with a profile that I find acceptable, except for the Gold Dollar W59. Many may find the W59's profile acceptable as it is just a personal choice.

More often than not, the cheaper razors need their bevel properly set. This can best be determined with a marking pen. Resetting the bevel normally does not require the original bevel to be bread-knifed out.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The only razors that I have seriously bread-knifed are the W59's. I have done this as, for me, they have an excessive smiling edge that requires more concentration while honing. I prefer a straight edge or one with just a slight smile, preferably less than 1mm.

What’s wrong with a smiling blade? I prefer them. You just have to learn how to hone. I hate seeing razors designed with a nice curve and someone grinds it flat? Nothing wrong with a nice smiling blade.

nothing wrong with smiling edges. i dislike the same thing as you.

I can see a smiling edge working, but what is the advantage?

Well, for one, my face is not flat :) So, curve seems to allow me to better conform to my face and shave more closely in difficult areas to flatten (particularly neck areas for me). Not sure if it just my technique, but I think the smile is easier to give some slicing action instead of just straight motions. I think some here call it scything or something like that. Also, I really prefer a more muted or ever-so-slightly rounded toe and heel. I like the edge to trail off and don't want anything pointy. I can't count the times I thought I just caused myself to end up with 3 or maybe 4 earlobes instead of the 2 I was born with due to Spanish points.....luckily all heeled fine! Much of this is preference as is a smiling blade.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Never having used a smiling edge before, I'm anticipating my first W59 shave. I'll give it few shaves and then evaluate from there.
You will find the pronounced toe of the Spanish point interesting while shaving with the W59. I prefer to keep mine sharp and pointy, others prefer to dull theirs.

Always keep in mind where that toe is and what it is doing. It will soon become natural to you.

Just remember, chicks dig blokes with scars 😁.

Finally some pics, not yet of the Gold Dollar but of a “thing” I picked up today.
Feedback in that really welcome!

Honing Newbie, basics!
[/URL]

Finally some pics, not yet of the Gold Dollar but of a “thing” I picked up today.
Feedback in that really welcome!

Top Bottom