What's new

Gold Dollar reviews

You probably don't need to shave with a different razor every 3 to 4 shaves. probably 10 is more like it. years ago I did a stropping experiment and rotated three razors and about every tenth shave I used my "control" and that was all I needed to reference the deteriorating edges.

So where does one pickup a case of these in order to get the 3 good ones?

My rate has been only one bad one (i.e.-would not take a shaving edge) out of 50.

If you want one without heel issues, etc. the 200 model is a bit more refined. I don't have alot of experience with that model, as I've only had two of them.

My rate has been only one bad one (i.e.-would not take a shaving edge) out of 50.

If you want one without heel issues, etc. the 200 model is a bit more refined. I don't have alot of experience with that model, as I've only had two of them.

My 1 200 had no major issues (heel, shoulder, or blade coming through the scales)

Funny you should mention the heel, i did find it a bit large for my liking almost interfered with the honing but not quite, i think either jay machined it down a bit or gd are very close with their tolerances either way it's something to watch.

These things get way too much flack for the scales. My second one just arrived, this one a $10 GD 100 razor from Parko. The scales aren't pretty, but they are functional. I actually like the hefty plastic. Sure it's lowsy for SOTD shots, but as a daily shaver for someone who just want's a blade to shave with and doesn't need pretty, I think they're an ideal price:performance solution.

I suspect the blades are quite susceptible to rust though, as this thing was swimming in a pool of mineral oil when it arrived.

The heels are a little bit of trouble to hone, but not all that much. Lead with the heel just a tiny bit and they've both honed smoothly for me.

This one was peened a little better, it closes centered. I'll let you all know how it shaves tomorrow.

Oh and Seraph's pre-honing scope of them is very accurate. Mine was a tiny bit better than his shot, but not much. I'd say the bevel is probably ground on with a belt or wheel in the area of 100-220grit and not honed at all. These are not razors that you can expect to get shave ready from the manufacturer.

Last edited:
He's a seller on eBay that sells Factory fresh Gold Dollars. He sells like 4 or 5 different models. And mystery razor sells some 200's that are supposedly made of stainless steel.

I suspect the blades are quite susceptible to rust though, as this thing was swimming in a pool of mineral oil when it arrived.

Yeah they rust easily, but I think that's due to being high carbon steel. I would love to know the percentage of carbon.

Nothing wrong with the edge these things take. I just finished putting my Karasu finish on one. Scary sharp edge.

It's not as bullet straight and insanely easy to hone as my Dubl Ducks were, but it's no worse than the average vintage. Looking forward to tomorrow's shave.

B

bluefoxicy

He's a seller on eBay that sells Factory fresh Gold Dollars. He sells like 4 or 5 different models. And mystery razor sells some 200's that are supposedly made of stainless steel.

I can't find the Parko guy, I found mystery razor.

The reason those get so much flack for scales is there's a very real possibility that the razor's edge will be protruding out the bottom of the scales ON TOP of them being really cheap quality.

Combine that with heal issues, twisted tangs (making them harder to rescale), and ridiculously big shoulders on some of them; there are several issues that make these a real crap shoot.

Yes, they do take a decent edge though, assuming you can get beyond all of those issues...

Top Bottom