What's new

Gold Dollar reviews

B

bluefoxicy

I'm sure plenty of people have the Gold Dollars from RupRazor; they get lots of mention here, at least. Yet nobody's put up a review for any of these razors it seems.

Worth a buy later? (Not now, much later)

The people i have talked to have been happy for the most part.

I think that is an important thing to remember with the GD razors.

If you are new and going to buy one, get it from a trusted source.

Seraphim and RupRazor fix the scale problems, heel problems, shoulder problems, etc...

I would do a review, but I've never had one long enough to do a thorough job of it. With a razor that is said not to hold it's edge too well, I think someone would have to shave with the razor through at least one or two rehonings to write an adequate review. Shaving that much with a razor like a GD is not an appealing thought to me.

I would do a review, but I've never had one long enough to do a thorough job of it. With a razor that is said not to hold it's edge too well, I think someone would have to shave with the razor through at least one or two rehonings to write an adequate review. Shaving that much with a razor like a GD is not an appealing thought to me.

This is a great point... Recently, I have pretty much locked into a software decision as well as my brush with the only variable being the razor. I'll take one for the team on this and use a GD every shave (except for shave tests on other razors) for a couple months or so (or until able to tell something definitive) and do a full review.

I actually think throwing in the random other razor here and there will help keep things in perspective. I don't think you are as likely to pick up on edge deterioration if you only use the single razor because you lose your sense of the shave as the edge slowly deteriorates. Another razor here and there will help recalibrate your standards.

I actually think throwing in the random other razor here and there will help keep things in perspective. I don't think you are as likely to pick up on edge deterioration if you only use the single razor because you lose your sense of the shave as the edge slowly deteriorates. Another razor here and there will help recalibrate your standards.

Ok... Let's use this thread to set the standards then. I have a great little DD honed by my friend Glen. I'll use that every 3rd or 4th shave. What do you guys think of that?

I'm excited to see the results of this as i just purchased (but have yet to receive) my first straight razor which is the GD 200 from Ken Rup. The other thread about the 200 was quite disparaging (I don't want to have spend $49 dollars on a waste of money!).

This is a great point... Recently, I have pretty much locked into a software decision as well as my brush with the only variable being the razor. I'll take one for the team on this and use a GD every shave (except for shave tests on other razors) for a couple months or so (or until able to tell something definitive) and do a full review.

Sounds fun Paul, i just snagged a GD 66 for $15 shipped on the bay. It's a BIN option under "Gool Dollar Razor"

You indeed are taking one for the team by using more than i could certainly muster, however i'll certainly be looking forward to your thoughts.

Hello:
I have a Gold Dollar 208 and a Gold Monkey.
Both razors arrived in non shave ready condition, but honed up rather easily. The Gold Monkey is slightly "misaligned" at the tang. This doesn't affect honing but does cause it to close very close to the scale, but not touching. I like the razor and consider the defect just part of the character of a razor that costs $12 shipped. The Gold Monkey is slightly larger than the 208, but not quite as well finished. The GD 208 has a more mirrored finish.

I am 57 years old and have been wet shaving for about 40 years. I have disposable, vintage and new straight razors. Perhaps I am not sophisticated enough to discern a difference, but I simply cannot tell much between the GD shave and the others. I like them.
Thanks.

I have 4 razors - a gold dollar, and one each from solingen, sheffield and elikstuna, all bought from reputable honemeisters. The vintages are are great however the razor I keep reaching for, and get the best and most consistent shaves from is the Gold Dollar. They are amazing (not just "for the price"... in their own right).

I don't believe its an accident or coincidence. I'm sure the Chinese would have recruited some expertise from Europe when setting the industry up.

The blade takes and keeps a keen edge, sings when stropping (or even when blowing on it to dry it!) and is prone to rust more easily than my other razors. Given these traits and the sharpness, I am sure it's very high carbon steel.

Look at the blade design, it has a smile and is very well weighted.

The scales are poor but they are not the important part.

The Made in China tag puts a lot of people off trying them, and probably biases some others, but they can make some good quality stuff (apple iphone and various telescopes spring to mind).

I probably won't worry about another vintage, next I'll get a TI carbonsong and/or a couple more Gold Dollars :wink2:

I know there are people who have used hundreds of razors, groaning about what a newb i am :001_tt2:

but there's a review anyway, take it or leave it :001_smile

I have honed quite a few GD 200's and if I have time I usually give the unhoned ones ten on the coticule and strop before shipping. I have noticed that many show signs of being sharp with just that and a few pass the HHT.
If you have problems with blade centering try boiling water in a pot turn off the heat dip the scales for the count of 15 and put in a slight twist. If the heal extends past the scales put more curve into the scales. The curve correction is half of what you would expect because the angle and the point where the blade is stopped are both changing. Oh I tried using the Instant Hot and that did not heat even enough now I have a GD with curly maple scales. Jay MysteryRazor.com

00]I have 4 razors - a gold dollar, and one each from solingen, sheffield and elikstuna, all bought from reputable honemeisters. The vintages are are great however the razor I keep reaching for, and get the best and most consistent shaves from is the Gold Dollar. They are amazing (not just "for the price"... in their own right).

I don't believe its an accident or coincidence. I'm sure the Chinese would have recruited some expertise from Europe when setting the industry up.

The blade takes and keeps a keen edge, sings when stropping (or even when blowing on it to dry it!) and is prone to rust more easily than my other razors. Given these traits and the sharpness, I am sure it's very high carbon steel.

Look at the blade design, it has a smile and is very well weighted.

The scales are poor but they are not the important part.

The Made in China tag puts a lot of people off trying them, and probably biases some others, but they can make some good quality stuff (apple iphone and various telescopes spring to mind).

I probably won't worry about another vintage, next I'll get a TI carbonsong and/or a couple more Gold Dollars :wink2:

.[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom