What's new

Gold Dollar Razors Catalog? Website?

Steve56 I did that. The orginal scales were flimsy & warped (blade would catch the scale when closing) so I took some pool decking & made some scales. I used a circular saw, jigsaw & electric hand drill (all on their last legs); I have no wood working ability.

Came out ok & because I soaked the dry decking in Teak oil they have a nice smell. A COVID project!

proxy.php
Looks great. I am on the verge of making some scales. Just have not quite got the material picked and hardware collected. I find it hard to spend more on hardware than I did the razor. So I am diggin around my shop. Looking for some good "scraps" of something LOL. Had a bright yellow axe handle that was rubber mounted to the head (dumb idea IMO) and came loose. but when I cut into it, it was full of holes. I am kinda liking the wood and I have plenty of scraps of that. Thanks for posting.

@Slash McCoy must like things shiny. I prefer timber (and my girls) with a natural look 😁.
Perhaps @Slash McCoy likes his razors and ladies more as described in Confederate Railroads song "Trashy Women"

"Pardon me son, but that ain't no kid. That's a cocktail waitress in a Dolly Parton wig. I said I know it dad ain't she COOL!? Thta's the kind I dig"

Ok, well I thought it was funny.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
My, my. Aren't we all just full of wit and wisecrack today. :facep:

I found a GD100 in my "hone it up some day" box. Pic later.

My, my. Aren't we all just full of wit and wisecrack today. :facep:

I found a GD100 in my "hone it up some day" box. Pic later.
Yes I am immature. And my sense of humor rivals that of a 10 year old. I wish to grow up one day, but at 41...still showing no signs.

I am envisioning your hone it some day box and I am jealous already and never seen it LOL

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
As promised, a couple more GD models. The top one in this pic is a sample sent to me, with no model name. Looks like a GD knockoff of one of the Titan razors LOL! The blade may be a P81 blade, not sure. The middle one of course is a 66 for reference, and the bottom one is a 100. Slightly smaller than the 66, a little nicer grinding.
Myst_100_66.jpg

Here is the 100 by itself.
100.jpg

And the 100 compared to an unmarked P81 with no scales I got for an upcoming project.
100_Blank.jpg

Haven't seen this one mentioned, it's called the SW60 apparently. It may be a little more expensive than a garden variety GD. A similar razor, called the SW10, seemingly has the same head with wooden scales but rougher finish.

The SW60 is available on AX, while the SW10 on the Bay.

1614353180209.png

1614353226215.png

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets

That's the company's page on AliBaba. There are models not listed there, and some previous models are no longer made, apparently. I count 35 models being sold by the company on AliBaba. They also sell small orders of some models on AliExpress. Here is the list I put together, of models listed on their AliBaba page. You can get your pics there.
N71
N72
W50
W51
W52
W53
W54
W55
W56
W57
W58
W59
W60
SW10
SW20
SW21
SW60
SW61
SW62
R10
R11
R67
P81

And just to end the post on a bit of eye candy, here is the near mythical GD800 Stainless Steel
GD_800.png

And my "mystery razor" that Cici sent me. Apparently is is the new model 900. Quite expensive. Over $35 but the MOQ was only 20 I think. Figure another buck apiece for shipping. This I believe is their most expensive razor. Steel according to them is imported 400CC stainless.
GD_900.png

That's the company's page on AliBaba. There are models not listed there, and some previous models are no longer made, apparently. I count 35 models being sold by the company on AliBaba. They also sell small orders of some models on AliExpress. Here is the list I put together, of models listed on their AliBaba page. You can get your pics there.
N71
N72
W50
W51
W52
W53
W54
W55
W56
W57
W58
W59
W60
SW10
SW20
SW21
SW60
SW61
SW62
R10
R11
R67
P81

And just to end the post on a bit of eye candy, here is the near mythical GD800 Stainless Steel
View attachment 1233862

And my "mystery razor" that Cici sent me. Apparently is is the new model 900. Quite expensive. Over $35 but the MOQ was only 20 I think. Figure another buck apiece for shipping. This I believe is their most expensive razor. Steel according to them is imported 400CC stainless.
View attachment 1233863
Wow, thanks for posting.

I know I have said it before, but I am about ready to shift to vintage for a while. Was fairly disappointed when my W59 showed up. It seemed tiny compared to the pic and was not nearly as menacing looking LOL. I will still enjoy it, just a bit of a let down. And now I wanna hold and inspect something before I buy it. I think. For now. Give it 10 minutes and another intriguing pic and we will see how that holds up.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Wow, thanks for posting.

I know I have said it before, but I am about ready to shift to vintage for a while. Was fairly disappointed when my W59 showed up. It seemed tiny compared to the pic and was not nearly as menacing looking LOL. I will still enjoy it, just a bit of a let down. And now I wanna hold and inspect something before I buy it. I think. For now. Give it 10 minutes and another intriguing pic and we will see how that holds up.

I really don't care for the "W" models. When you have "product design engineers" who know nothing whatsoever about making razors, and they go all out to make a line of razors that look "kewl" using the same forged blanks using stock removal, you are gonna get some pretty messed up razors.

Once you know how to pick them and how to hone them, vintage, especially American vintage razors, are your biggest bang for the buck, IMHO.

Well my first vintage my wife picked. I honed. I like it.

My second, I picked because it said Union Cutlery on it and I thought it was cool that it eventually turned into Kabar. And it was CHEAP! LOL. I honed it. Using it almost everyday at the moment.

So I do not "know how to pick them" but have gotten 2 outa 2 lucky so far!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Well my first vintage my wife picked. I honed. I like it.

My second, I picked because it said Union Cutlery on it and I thought it was cool that it eventually turned into Kabar. And it was CHEAP! LOL. I honed it. Using it almost everyday at the moment.

So I do not "know how to pick them" but have gotten 2 outa 2 lucky so far!

All the Union Cutlery razors were pretty good. I particularly like the iconic "Spike" model. They are still very common so the price is nice, and they can take a horribly sharp edge. Just don't let that toe getcha.

Just putting this here as I am not sure where else to go.

After rescaling my GD66, squaring the toe, correct and square the heel, polish/unbrand, rehone....MAN that thing feels like a whole different razor. I think the scales make the most difference. The scales having some weight to them and mostly being tight to the blade. Made honing and shaving MUCH more comfortable when the scales were not flopping everywhere.

In the process I was asking myself why in the world am I messing with this cheap razor? Putting several more dollars in it (paper, compound, pins and washers) quite a bit of time, when I like the vintage I have. They require very little work to get shave ready (or my 2 anyway haha). They look "better". But as soon as I started honing the "modified" GD66 I knew it was different. Then at first pass on the face, a smile came across my lips. The shave, the satisfaction of "improving" something. Yes, this is why I did it.

I really don't care for the "W" models. When you have "product design engineers" who know nothing whatsoever about making razors, and they go all out to make a line of razors that look "kewl" using the same forged blanks using stock removal, you are gonna get some pretty messed up razors.

Once you know how to pick them and how to hone them, vintage, especially American vintage razors, are your biggest bang for the buck, IMHO.

I do not know much about the "grind" or how to tell what, that being said, my GD66 and GM666 have lets say a .025" bevel. My vintage razors probably less than that. Not in front of me and not measuring, just for explanation. The W59 has lets say a .075" bevel. The end profile seems to show the grind being MUCH thicker on the W59. I have not shaved with it yet, as the heel still needs a bit of work. Even with the wide bevel and thick grind or what ever, 75% of the razor from the toe in feels as if it is going to shave quite well. The giant bevel is just not something I am used to seeing, so it looks "off" or off putting at least lol

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Just putting this here as I am not sure where else to go.

After rescaling my GD66, squaring the toe, correct and square the heel, polish/unbrand, rehone....MAN that thing feels like a whole different razor. I think the scales make the most difference. The scales having some weight to them and mostly being tight to the blade. Made honing and shaving MUCH more comfortable when the scales were not flopping everywhere.

In the process I was asking myself why in the world am I messing with this cheap razor? Putting several more dollars in it (paper, compound, pins and washers) quite a bit of time, when I like the vintage I have. They require very little work to get shave ready (or my 2 anyway haha). They look "better". But as soon as I started honing the "modified" GD66 I knew it was different. Then at first pass on the face, a smile came across my lips. The shave, the satisfaction of "improving" something. Yes, this is why I did it.

Gooba Gabba Gooba Gabba
We accept him, one of us!
(ref, "Freaks", 1932, MGM)

Gooba Gabba Gooba Gabba
We accept him, one of us!
(ref, "Freaks", 1932, MGM)
Well I never really have "fit in" anywhere. Perhaps I will pull up a chair at that table LOL

Forgot to mention, I had previously reduced the stabilizer some and was having no issues honing. Or so it seemed. But shortening that heel some as in your video that is making the rounds lately, made it effortless, mindless, to hone. Barely even had to pay attention. And after fighting that w59 and going freehand instead of bench, I honed the GD66 that way last night. Dare I say it was quite comfortable.

Perhaps due to the heel fix? Or a bit more experience? Or the fact that the w59 was being such a PITA that the 66 was just more seemingly easy? More relaxed and comfortable? IDK. But I always ignored your hone in hand advice and preferred to bench hone. More control. Easier to manipulate. Or....just think so and actually it is harder to feel the fine details like when your angle/pressure/what not is just a bit off? Who is to say, but last night everything from hone to strop to shave just felt spot on.

Now tomorrow I will drop a razor, slash a strop, and gouge a stone haha and after that give myself a proper bloody gash on the throat!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Well I never really have "fit in" anywhere. Perhaps I will pull up a chair at that table LOL

Forgot to mention, I had previously reduced the stabilizer some and was having no issues honing. Or so it seemed. But shortening that heel some as in your video that is making the rounds lately, made it effortless, mindless, to hone. Barely even had to pay attention. And after fighting that w59 and going freehand instead of bench, I honed the GD66 that way last night. Dare I say it was quite comfortable.

Perhaps due to the heel fix? Or a bit more experience? Or the fact that the w59 was being such a PITA that the 66 was just more seemingly easy? More relaxed and comfortable? IDK. But I always ignored your hone in hand advice and preferred to bench hone. More control. Easier to manipulate. Or....just think so and actually it is harder to feel the fine details like when your angle/pressure/what not is just a bit off? Who is to say, but last night everything from hone to strop to shave just felt spot on.

Now tomorrow I will drop a razor, slash a strop, and gouge a stone haha and after that give myself a proper bloody gash on the throat!

The 66 is much more straightforward than the W59, yeah. But back in the day they were very wonky and always a handful to hone properly. Current production is much more well behaved, a mature product. Not as refined as some GD models, but manageable. You can "just hone" them, and years ago you could not. Still, knocking the heel down helps a lot. And no matter what, it is a better razor than the W59.

Oh and the width of the bevel facet is unimportant. It actually does matter but not enough to matter. The bevel ANGLE is what is significant. The 66 is a hair over 18 degrees, usually. The W59 is around 14 degrees. Those 4 itty bitty degrees are actually a lot. From one EXTREME to THE OTHER! The sweet spot is around 16 to 16.5 degrees. Too obtuse gives at best an uninspiring edge even with the best honing. Too acute gives a fragile edge at best, even with the most careful honing and handling. Gold Dollar simply refuses to make a razor with the correct bevel angle, and they are not alone in their price category in that regard.

Virtually impossible to find the P81 in UK. Only one uk source on ebay, and with postage ends up being close to £20.

Does anybody know of a current source on AliExpress? I just can't seem to find any!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Virtually impossible to find the P81 in UK. Only one uk source on ebay, and with postage ends up being close to £20.

Does anybody know of a current source on AliExpress? I just can't seem to find any!

Look for UK ebayer named Jacky Walsh. He might have some, though his shave ready edge might fail to impress, but he does otherwise seem to be reliable. Contact him. He might have some that he has not listed.

I don't see any on aliexpress but other models are in abundance, especially if you don't mind buying a box of 10. Here is a shop on AliExpress with some reasonably good deals on GD66, 100, 200, and 208 that might interest you:
Here are some offerings from that shop that are shipped free to US, prices in USD: GD66 10 for $44.81, GD208 10 for $67.63, GD200 10 for $105.11, and GD100 10 for $44.81. Buy a flat of 10, keep two, and ebay the rest, and you could end up with not one but two razors, at zero net cost.

Top Bottom