What's new

Gold Dollar Mod Competition 2017 Novice Class official entries list Poll: Voting closed

Gold Dollar Novice Class Poll

• No1

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • No2

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • No3

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • No4

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • No5

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • No6

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • No7

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The competition this year was a good one. In the Novice class It always impresses what can be done with a little creativity and craftsmanship. Well done to the first time Modders here at Badger And Blade and Congratulations to the entrants on a job well done! The following is the list of official entries to the 2017 novice class poll.

Now its over to the members to cast their votes to pick a winner in the Novice class.

Countdown begins so cast your votes YOU HAVE ONE WEEK ONLY!!!

So without further ado sharpen your wits and cast your votes.

Gvw755

No1

ks1a-jpg.799541

ks2a-jpg.799542

dsc01641-jpg.799545

Ice-Man

No2

t-1000-2-jpg.799851

t-1000-3-jpg.799852

t-1000-4-jpg.799853

No3

sunburst6-jpg.799854

sunburst3-jpg.799855

No4

gold5-jpg.799857

gold6-jpg.799858

Sfeile

No5

_mg_0046-jpg.799944

_mg_0055-jpg.799945

_mg_0051-edit-jpg.799946

_mg_0049-jpg.799951

TreadwayJohnA

No6

goldie3-jpg.800930

goldie2-jpg.800931

goldie1-jpg.800929

No7

dwarf1-jpg.800932

dwarf2-jpg.800933

dwarf3-jpg.800934

Well That's All Of The Eye Candy Now Cast Your Vote Please.

Last edited:
Sheesh...looks like the unlimited class next year will have some serious contenders added to the list. I'm still kinda disappointed that so few showed up for the unlimited. I hope you all decide to submit entries next year after doing a bang up job on your first run. VERY well done, all of you!!! Tough call for me...I'm gonna have to drool over these pics a bit more before I make my decision!!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Okay, I spent the last 3 hours looking over these entries. First of all, I have to say, there are some great choices in scale material and workmanship in the scales, too. It is easy to get blinded by blingy snazzy scales and lose track of what really matters, which is the ergonomics and geometry of the blade. I am not usually a fan of wood scales but for some reason my eye is drawn to #4. Simple, and clean. The triangle style profile usually leaves me cold but on this razor it just works somehow.

Iceman's #2 entry looks like it has been thinned a little. I would guess to about 18 degrees or a little less. Should be a nice improvement over the stock geometry. With good honing, it should prove to be the best shave, by a small margin, of the bunch.

That is, unless the GoldDollarsori entered as #1 beats it. Looks like its creator took the time and bother to approximate the traditional kamisori grind. Nice touch.

Keeping in mind that these are all first attempts, the workmanship on all was excellent. Their next round of GD mods are going to look professional in all respects, I am guessing. I do hope they all enter the unlimited class next year. Or maybe not... voting will be too hard! Plus I will have to compete with these guys. I entered last year but I didn't have time this year. Next year I got some really medieval plans in mind. I won't stray far from my usual blade style since it seems to work best for me as a shaver and makes for a razor that is easy hone and strop, but the scales which were very plain last year are going to pop next year. I am seeing too many catchy scale sets and too much fancy pinning to not go a little crazy on mine next year. That goes for the Unlimited class as well, of course.

Okay so I am gonna vote now. It pretty much boils down to #2 or #4 for me. Both have clean, functional lines. Not sure but I think maybe I like the "soft jimps" on #2. The scales on #4 appeal slightly more to my eye though that is a close call. But Iceman obviously thinned his spine. I can't tell if #4 is thinned or not. Contestants, the end-on view is very important. My agonized brain says #2 gets it by a hair. A slim hair. Like in Eeny Meanie Miney Moe. It was practically a tie, but I had to pick one.

Nice trophies, all you winners. I hope you treasure them and enjoy using them. Dont rest on your laurels, though. Lets see some more! You don't have to have a contest to create something wonderful.

really like iceman ..... I guess it has that art deco feel and I've always been a sucker for that celluloid style plastic, its still popular as Parker and Visconti make pens in that style.

Top Bottom