What's new

Gold Dollar competition "tester"

As this is not my entry for the Gold Dollar competition I wouldn't spam the competition with it, but is still has a connection to it though, as it was my "tester" I ended up doing new scales for as well, it wasn't in the plan but there you go :tongue_sm

I tried bluing the steel, but it didn't work as expected and seen in various videos. I don't know if it was my preparation for the bluing that was bad or something about the steel alloy that wouldn't receive the bluing.
I also tried to do some fancy file-work, but that didn't come out at all as expected either. My poor skills is definitely one of the causes, but I also "blame" the tempering as it makes it more difficult (I imagine) to do the finer work - I can very well be wrong here :001_smile

But here it is;
The attempt of some file work and bluing.
Dressed in African Blackwood with black linen micarta spacer. Finished with three applications of beeswax - I absolutely love a beeswax finish.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
When I read the thread title, I thought that Søren was volunteering to be the official tester of all the finished entries. :tongue_sm

Thank you very much Gentlemen.

Enter it! I think it deserves to be considered.

It is my back-up in case the one I want to enter doesn't work out, I am pretty much back to square one regarding the spine and surface treatment.

When I read the thread title, I thought that Søren was volunteering to be the official tester of all the finished entries. :tongue_sm

Actually, I would be more than happy to, it would be an honour to hold those fine razors that are produced :w00t:

I Definitely Agree Soren, that is by far worthy of entry into the GD Mod Competition. Very Excellent Work, if this is the back up I cannot wait to see the one you intend to enter my Friend:thumbup:

Were you using a file to do the spine work? Using a Dremel type tool makes the work much easier and some fine detail can be accomplished with care using it.

The large "dimples" is made with a Dremel and then I tried using a file for the small ones.
I was going for a V-shaped form there, but it didn't really work out, it started to be oval, so I cut a line with a thin cutting wheel using the the Dremel and then opening up that line with the triangular file.
The V-shape just never appeared, so I settled for what is shown.

I'm not finished experimenting though, I'll keep at it - still got 6 unmodified GD's to play with :001_smile

what did you use for bluing? i decided on rust bluing for my razor, the bluing solutions are too fragile, and have a tendency to by splotchy

I started out with Birchwood Casey Super Blue but it was as if the steel wouldn't accept the solution.
Then I tried to boil it in acetic acid, helped a bit, so I added a little citric acid - didn't seem to do anything and then I really spiced it up and added some Hydrochloric acid and that sparked a reaction and it darkened the steel.
I kept it in the solution for 3-4 minutes and then rinsed thoroughly in plain water, dried it and richly applied Neatsfoots oil and left it over night.
It was a dark blue colour until I applied the Neatsfoot oil, then it turned darker.

Looks pretty darn good to me. For an easy bluing, try repeaed soaks in in hot mixture of hydrogen peroxide and salt to get red rust with removal between soaks to even out the rust. Then boil for 10 minutes in distilled water to turn the red rust to black rust.

I have had good results using this method on two ax heads. Should work very easily on a small item like a razor.

Here is a very complete tutorial: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/16456-Rust-bluing-A-tutorial

Looks pretty darn good to me. For an easy bluing, try repeaed soaks in in hot mixture of hydrogen peroxide and salt to get red rust with removal between soaks to even out the rust. Then boil for 10 minutes in distilled water to turn the red rust to black rust.

I have had good results using this method on two ax heads. Should work very easily on a small item like a razor.

Here is a very complete tutorial: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/16456-Rust-bluing-A-tutorial

That is actually my plan :biggrin1:

Since the Super Blue didn't work out as I wanted, I researched for other ways and stumbled over that method, and it is going to be the one I'll use for the competition razor.
Hydrogen peroxide and salt is already acquired, I'll just have to finish the razor, hopefully this weekend, and then I'll be cooking a razor :wink:

Good luck. I look forward to seeing the results.

That is actually my plan :biggrin1:

Since the Super Blue didn't work out as I wanted, I researched for other ways and stumbled over that method, and it is going to be the one I'll use for the competition razor.
Hydrogen peroxide and salt is already acquired, I'll just have to finish the razor, hopefully this weekend, and then I'll be cooking a razor :wink:

I sandblasted a 66 to prep it for GunKote. The surface is very mottled, some of it a nice sandblasted satin, other areas appear to be very soft. I suspect the GD 66 are poorly hardened & tempered, in keeping with the price point. This could cause blueing problems. It sure makes it difficult for GunKote to look OK, took two tries to get a mediocre finish.

Wow! That's pretty cool! I haven't seen that method, thanks for the link =)

Top Bottom