What's new

Gold Dollar 66 improved ?

G

Guest2023

I received a Gold Dollar 66 purchased in Ali 20days ago. It cost $4 with shipping included.
DE948A52-7EE0-4FA4-9510-66C9C7E074FE.jpeg

My first feeling was not that bad. Finish and polishing was little to non existent. bit it was well within anyone 's expectation who purchase Gold Dollar 66. There were noticeable scratches all over the spine and tang of the blade.

3FD8CD4F-D694-4272-A827-315FF998C26B.jpeg

I reduced the notorious stabilizer with Dremel. Did I do it well?

Actually, it was not done by me. I didn't do anything on it. It is just the way when I first received it. Maybe this one is an improved model after all guys complaining about it for years. There's nothing getting in the way when honing. It just sits flat on the honing stone.

91E14017-DDB4-468E-92E2-9B9611217FF7.jpeg

It didnt cut hair right out of the box. So I reset the bevel and honed it. It shaves as well as any other razors which cost 30 times more. To be honest, I prefer its shaving quality to some well known modern razor makers from Solingen.

I am quite impressed. It looks ugly but it is honed well, shaves great, just cost about a cup of coffee. and no need to modify the stabilizer any more.

Sorry to bring you bad news but the stabilizer is still hitting your stones, see your picture but with a red arrow 1 and arrow 2 is you are hitting the stone upon the shank. that will cause your bevel off so the bevel is not set on this side, but you still need to remove more on arrow 1 stabilizer with a Dremmel.

91E14017-DDB4-468E-92E2-9B9611217FF7.jpeg

Hello,
my GD are 4,these I bought 2017 were visibile wider like real 6/8,these from late 2021 much like 5/8. All were with geometry same problem : one side spine and blade is good ,other side second half of blade(to the toe end) - lifted 0.3-0.1 mm . If anyone
can tell me how to fix that will be great.

0kewl,what size was your ,would you send me seller link ?

Thanks

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Sorry to bring you bad news but the stabilizer is still hitting your stones, see your picture but with a red arrow 1 and arrow 2 is you are hitting the stone upon the shank. that will cause your bevel off so the bevel is not set on this side, but you still need to remove more on arrow 1 stabilizer with a Dremmel.

View attachment 1410164
Rather than remove more, you could adjust your honing technique so that the stabiliser and shoulder do not touch the whetstone. I started honing on a SR with a pronounced stabiliser. That taught me from the beginning to hone without the stabiliser touching the whetstone.

Now I never have trouble honing a SR with a stabiliser. For some reason others do have a problem.

Some SR's have a problem with their stabiliser where the straight edge is very close to the stabiliser. That is when you need to radius the heel more.

Top Bottom