What's new

Gold dollar 66 golden wife

Did you shave with the GM? If so, how did it compare to your GD?

BTW I forgot, welcome to the gentlemanly art of SR shaving.
I have been shaving with my Gold Dollar and my vintage flea market straight for proly a few months now, but thanks for the welcome LOL. The 2 shaves were very comparable. The Monkey is out front by a hair. Most noticeable on the ATG pass and very likely due to the "method" edge being a bit sharper. But all in all, the 2 razors with the 2 different edges shave just about the same, to my skin any way. The Monkey also tree tops just a bit better. If I did not look at the name on the blade/scales I would not be able to definitively distinguish between the 2 in the way they shave or feel in my hand.

Now if we throw my vintage in the mix, just for fun.... it is a narrower blade, shorter blade (had a chipped point and I therefore shortened it by .5" or so), thinner grind, making it weigh less. It has some sort of celluloid scales I assume? They are art nouveau styling with a woman's bust and flowing hair, black with a white covered tang. This razor feels more like "jewelry" as some have explained it where my GD and GM feel more like a tool. Due largely to the cheap scales. The shave of the vintage is definitely distinguishable as different and I would be able to easily pick it apart from the 3, however I would not necessarily say its shave is "better" if that makes any sense. There are things I like about both styles. I like the beefier blade of the GD/GM but the over all feel of the razor (again due largely to the scales) is just so much better with the vintage. It also could be due in part to the aura a 120 year old razor carries with it.

I plan to attain more GD/GM razors to compile a 7 day set, rescale 1 for the experience and an attempt at beautification.

Summary (TLDR): I enjoy all 3 straights I have so far, each in its own way and for its own reasoning. Happy with them all.

I suppose I should put up some sort of actual avatar so maybe you all will start recognizing me.....

There, that should set me apart from the no avatar new guys LOL. That is the vintage I was speaking of, though it cropped out most of the scales which are probably the most attractive part of the razor grrrr

I think if you want to see the razor, just click on the pic, and then click on it again, and possibly 1 more time.....eventually you will get the full pic of the razor

Been wielding that Gold Dollar like a well seasoned samurai (or perhaps a child with a card board sword). General jist is comfortable and carefree. Well last night I put razor to face just along beard line. Was not quite where I wanted it. Pulled razor "away" from skin and slid it over just a touch. "YOW!" Razor was not "away" from skin. Lesson learned....pull razor COMPLETELY away from face before making a movement anywhere near parallel to the blade edge LOL On the bright side, a beautiful clean slice, indicating a nice sharp blade HAHA (JK actually a tiny little nick, but enough to make my eyes wide for a second)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have a GD 66 is there anything I should know or need to do to be able to get it honed and shave ready? Or is it good enough to just start on the 1k and go through the progression?

On recently manufactured GD66 razors, you can usually start with 1k and no modification to the razor, if you want. It may take a while to get the bevel properly set with a 1k, though. You will want to lead with the heel forward a bit. In other words, the razor is not at 90 degrees crossways to the long axis of the hone. Instead, the razor is turned so that the nose trails behind the heel a little, usually around 30 degrees. Eventually, after years of use and honing, it may develop a bit of a heel hook, or maybe not, depending on the factory grind. Like I said, USUALLY with the new ones you can just set the bevel on the 1k if you are in no hurry. Lap your stone first. You may even have to lap it halfway through the process, if it is a soft stone like a King or Bear Moo.

Personally I would start with something much coarser and go until the bevel is nearly set, then start cleaning up the rough scratch pattern with progressively finer grits so that there are only 1k or 2k scratches when the bevel is finally set properly. Saves time, and saves wear on the 1k. Grit to start with is up to you but 320 is probably a good starter for most guys. You can go 320, 600, and then 1k, maybe.

Back in the bad old days, the stabilizer was very intrusive and the blade was poorly ground, with it being significantly thicker near the stabilizer. So even heel-leading honing could leave you with a heel hook. So generally, those in the know would grind the stabilizer back, along with the final bit of blade edge. You can do this by grinding a thumb notch with a dremel and sanding drums, or you can round off the heel with a belt sander. If you seem to be having problems with yours, then you might try grinding off the heel by one of those two methods. Figure on losing about 1/4" of the heel. Maybe a bit less. Then you can hone straight, without leading with the heel. Very likely this will not be needed if your GD66 was recently made.

If you choose to start with something coarser than 1k, I can recommend either the Shapton Kuromaku or Chosera stones. Or the Suehiro Cerax stones. A bit pricey if you just want to do one razor and maybe another one every year or so! A cheaper option is to use a diamond plate, even a cheap one from Harbor Freight. You need to hone a few knives on it first, though, to knock down the proud diamonds and give you a smoother cut. They are not necessarily very flat but you can do the heavy lifting with them, and fix everything at the 600 grit or 1k grit stage. Alternately you can order a 3" x 12" x 1" piece of cast acrylic sheet from TAP Plastics, then tear a sheet of red resin type wet/dry sandpaper in thirds longways, and carefully glue it to the acrylic with spray adhesive, for a very flat one use "stone". Refresh the sandpaper, change grits, whatever, and never have to lap it. Hone a big kitchen knife on this, before you put a razor to it, again to knock off any proud abrasive particles which would cause deep scratches and chipping.

You can clean adhesive residue off the plate with acetone. Don't let it stand on the acrylic... wet it, rub it, wipe it dry, repeat as needed. One nice thing about the acrylic is you can also use it for lapping film. After setting the bevel, lapping film is excellent for the progression to the finish. Read up on The Method for post finish diamond on balsa treatment.

Sounds great, but I wouldn't let any of my girlfriends near me with a straight razor. Filipinas can change in an instant!
I can attest to this.......the man speaketh the truth!!!!!!

camo
Same with Latina women.

I've shaved my girls legs with a straight. I've let her shave my checks with a shock hydro 5 but no way I would let her use a straight on me. I dont think she would though even if I asked her to. I think she would be too afraid of cutting me accidentally.
I just let me fiance use a straight on my neck for the first time and she told me it was a dangerous thing to allow a Latina woman to do... 🤔
Life with a Filipina is like shaving with a shavette. If you are careful and pay attention it can be very rewarding. If you disrespect it, it will bite you, but the wounds heal fast. :a15:

It's no co-incidence that Filipina and Latinas share some characteristics. The Philippine Islands were a Spanish colony for more than 300 years. The clue is in the name - named after King Philip II of Spain. With a surname like Landicho and facial features that won't look too far out of place in Spain, I suspect my wife has a fair amount of Latin genes and a temperament to match.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have no experience with Latinas but plenty of experience with Filipinas. I have never married but have had a few girlfriends through my life.

Filipinas make wonderful partners. If you treat them well they will return it a thousand fold. You have to get use to them speaking with their eyes and lips. You also have to know how to deal with their occasional tampa.

If you show a Filipina more attention than a Filipino gives his fighting **** (autocorrect doesn't like c.o.c.k.), you will have her love and devotion for life.

Top Bottom