What's new

Gold Dollar 300 + Unicot

Hi all!

I'm looking, in the near future, to join the dark side. My budget is pretty limited, so with that in mind I'm wondering if I could buy a GD300 and learn to hone a good edge with just a Coticule stone?

What kind of strops would I need/be good value? I know I need linen and leather, but have no idea about what is usable and what is not!

I have no issues upgrading the equipment in time if I enjoy the shaves and gain some proficiency.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

P.S. I am not dead set on that razor, so other suggestions of similarly priced things would be appreciated!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I would also add that I am in the UK, so buying things from the US is nearly always prohibitively expensive due to shipping.

Thanks again.

James

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Maybe a silly question @jtface, have you thought about competing in the Gold Dollar Mod Competition this year? There are some fantastic prizes up for grabs. Just a thought.

Maybe a silly question @jtface, have you thought about competing in the Gold Dollar Mod Competition this year? There are some fantastic prizes up for grabs. Just a thought.
I've never even held a straight razor or a Dremel [emoji23]

I'd end up fingerless if I attempted to modify a toothbrush, much less a straight!

Thank you for the suggestion, though!

I just unpacked a Gold Dollar "Classic Quality" model - first one I've ever seen. It's not your typical Gold Dollar with the annoying heel to hone around. For around U$D 23.35 it's an impressive bargain and is truly shave ready, with just some preliminary stropping to pass the hanging hair sharpness test. You could pay much more and get worse.
For a strop, start out with anything you can find over 2 1/2" wide. Any reasonable quality leather & canvas strop will work just fine to begin with. Wait & practice before throwing in with the strop snobs & start tossing around brand names.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I just unpacked a Gold Dollar "Classic Quality" model - first one I've ever seen. It's not your typical Gold Dollar with the annoying heel to hone around. For around U$D 23.35 it's an impressive bargain and is truly shave ready, with just some preliminary stropping to pass the hanging hair sharpness test. You could pay much more and get worse.
For a strop, start out with anything you can find over 2 1/2" wide. Any reasonable quality leather & canvas strop will work just fine to begin with. Wait & practice before throwing in with the strop snobs & start tossing around brand names.
Photo?

I would look for a shave ready vintage razor on here or a straight razor forum. You can find one for about what a factory Gold Dollar 300 costs if you keep an eye out.

You can strop on denim and any smooth piece of leather until you decide whether or not straight shaving is for you.

Gold Dollar 1a.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Nice looking razor. I learned to shave and hone with Gold Dollars. They shave just fine. Enjoy!
Which GD would you recommend for a newbie as myself? I just got a Zertone that I had to return because the spine was all wonky, and the 1996 GD I got, the blade spit down the middle as I was honing it20190818_192107[1].jpg.

I have 2 Geneva's that are shaving real nice, and an Artist Club SS, but I want to try my hand honing some less expensive razors like GD 66, or 208's while I look for more nice vintage razors. I am just so new, I really don't know what is a good razor to buy, and it is frustrating to spend a lot of time on a cheap razor and not get to use it.

I'm looking at this Shave Ready 6/8" GD 208 With Classic Straight Razor Slip CaseDefault

Thanks
prof

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The 1996 is pretty easy to hone as there are no shoulders to bother with. Same width spine as 66. The “W” series has a bit thinner spine but for practice honing, I would just go with the 1996 - available on Amazon. Geneva’s are great razors.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The 1996 is pretty easy to hone as there are no shoulders to bother with. Same width spine as 66. The “W” series has a bit thinner spine but for practice honing, I would just go with the 1996 - available on Amazon. Geneva’s are great razors.
Yes, I do love my Geneva's, one has a "Method Edge" and I honed one on stones. Both finished with diamond paste balsa, and both shave great.
But I do want to get at least one inexpensive "shave ready" razor in my arsenal, the one I listed is $21.99 and appears to be the least expensive razor advertised on their website as "shave ready", guaranteed. With a 2-4 week shipping.

I was almost gonna get another 1996 GD after mine broke. It was almost shave ready as shipped, but had a massive smile. Just about the time I got the bevel set straight and ready for the 8k it split on me. I left the smile in my Zertone after that happened, and got that one to pass HHT.
But, it sure doesn't shave or feel like my Geneva's at all, granted they are 5/8", and I used the same stones.

That is why I want to try something available mainstream. Of course I should probably just post a WTB and not have to wait~~~~~~~ just to see what someone else is doing.
prof

E-Bay. Some guy across town from me. Looks like I got the last one. There had been several model W53's, but it looks like they sold quickly.

I got some for 7 dollars.
Gold Dollars and Monkeys.
Shave fine.Once honed properly.
They are thick and a little bit rough.But they'll do the job.

Top Bottom