What's new

Gold Bond - reformulated...grrrr

They have reformulated the tried & true Gold Bond...took out the talc and it is all cornstarch now

I gave it a try (full disclosure; I didnt notice the pkg change notice) and....it is not good. As soon as I opened it and gave it a shake, I realized that it was not talc; the cornstarch pours out quick, creates a big puff of powder and the scent has been muted.

We havent even started in on the hot & humid weather here in New England and just sitting on my leather chair all day as I WFH the difference is very noticeable

Just ordered a couple of possible replacements: 1) Anti-Monkey Butt Powder (Oy Vey...the name) and 2) Imperial Talc. They w/b delivered tomorrow (Amz Prime) and I will check to see what is replacing a product that I have bought faithfully for over 20 yrs....

If you’re down with PAA:

If you’re down with PAA:

Talc free = cornstarch; which is for coating tempura, not my undercarriage

If you want classic talcum powder, better stock up now, before excessively expensive product liability insurance insurance removes it from the market completely. This should not be unexpected to anyone after the Johnson & Johnson lawsuits.

Also, if you happen to require Halon based fire extinguishers, buy them now, they are going off the market soon due to the 1987 Montreal Treaty, and the replacement ones using 2-BTP are 10x the price, well over $1000 for the smallest 5 pounder.

If you want classic talcum powder, better stock up now, before excessively expensive product liability insurance insurance removes it from the market completely. This should not be unexpected to anyone after the Johnson & Johnson lawsuits.

Also, if you happen to require Halon based fire extinguishers, buy them now, they are going off the market soon due to the 1987 Montreal Treaty, and the replacement ones using 2-BTP are 10x the price, well over $1000 for the smallest 5 pounder.

+1! Sad but likely true. :sob: :sob:

Imperial Leather is real talc. Also I think Yardley is, too. I got a container of the AMB powder to try, it is medicated and good for what you want, but the scent is just OK, IMHO.

The Italians are quite fond of talcum.

Maybe you can find a brand that is also available in the States dambiro Talcum

I can recommend Borotalco Roberts.

INCI
Talc, Parfum, Coumarin, Linalool, Limonene, Dipropylene Glycol, Geraniol, Benzyl Benzoate, Cinnamyl Alcohol, BHT, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Citral

Off to the, ummm....you know...for field testing

Talc_Testing.jpg

I've used the Pinaud Clubman cornstarch. It worked well enough while it lasted, but it didn't last long. The thing is, I only need it for maybe a couple weeks out of the year, since I live where the climate is usually hot and dry; though during the last decade or so, the humidity has been climbing up a bit during the summer.

Some talc contains asbestos and some doesn’t. The asbestos talc has been targeted for lawsuits and the non asbestos containing talc is still being evaluated as to whether it causes cancer or not. I would guess that most manufacturers are steering clear of all talc due to product liability.

Read more here.

Day 3 of field trials for the AMB powder; this is the “true” test…of me sitting on my behind on a leather office chair as I WFH…long periods of man vs leather with only a few layers of fabric in between

AMB has a light peach color, from the calamine I expect, and doesn’t have the giant cloud of powder when you shake some out, unlike the cornstarch products.

The AMB powder smells exactly like I remember the old “Shower-to-Shower” powder from the late 70s did. Scent mutes out after application, there is no medicinal scent like GB.

Performance wise it gets high marks; yesterday I was out in the sun, doing yard work and really feeling the heat - no issues with sticking…things that should move about freely did.

So far I would say this dramatically out preforms the reformulated GB. I will be using this for another 2d and then try out the Imperial Leather

Top Bottom