What's new

Gold Aristocrat Dating

I recently won a gold Gillette Aristocrat on e-bay.
It is a TTO, no protrusions on the center bar (to facilitate "hooking" when inserting a blade, same design as my 1940' SS), and is in near mint condition. I doubt it's been used more than a couple of times. It's packaged in a leather covered box with "Gillette Aristocrat" on inside of lid, with matching gold blade holder, and two paper wrapped Blue Blades with King Gillettes likeness on the wrappers.

My question, and I've been searching the threads for an answer, is there any way to determine date of manufacture? The bottom of the razor has no date code shown. Only the Gillette logo, "Made in USA, and Reg. U.S. Pat. Off." are visible.

Sorry, I don't have a camara to show this.

Thanks in advance,

Ernie

Ernie,

Your's has no date code - therfore pre-1951.
The pre-WW2 Aristocrats had comb guards - so if it is a bar guard then post WW2 ie 1946 onwards.
The notch on the centre bar was put there to hook a DE blade from a dispenser - introduced in early 1948.
Since your razor has no notch we can narrow it down to a 46/47 Aristocrat.

Regards
John

John, sounds like you nailed it right on.
Yes, it has bar guards.
It still had the protective laquer applied, and when I boiled it and gently scrubbed it with a toothbrush and Dawn in hot water, it pretty much all came off, displaying even more glitz and glamour. Not too sure I wanna shave with it.
Just display maybe. Oh heck, maybe just once?!

Ernie

Ernie,

Razors are there to be shaved with not to be looked at. That is a nice razor to shave with - it isn't that rare that it will be worth a fortune in the future - so shave with it & enjoy IMV.

Regards
John

Top Bottom