What's new

Gold and Black Fat Handle Tech

I recently acquired a gold NDC Fat Handle Tech (see photo) with a black metal handle.
CAM00204.jpg

Between the fat handle, triangular slots and NDC, I assume it's vintage is 1938-1941. Do you guys agree with that?

But the thing I found striking was the handle. Up until now, any black handle I'd seen was bakelite. But this looked like any other Gold Fat Handle Tech except for the black coloring. Maybe i missed it, but I don't remember ever seeing this even on Mr. Razor. Has anyone here run into that before?

Yeah, but see Rabidus reply (msg. #2) in this thread. Apparently they started doing that pre-war in 1938.

That's not what that means. There is no date code, so you can't date those any closer than '38~'45, so it's labeled that way.

That looks sweet!

I have what looks like that same pre-war gold head, on a black Contract Tech handle, but the fat handle looks better in black, especially with the gold shoulder. ("gold shoulder" - surely there's a pun/joke there somewhere...)

Congrats!

Probably closer to '42 because that handle is brass, probably something they already had on hand. Brass was not available during the war because of military needs, so Gillette started making things out of steel, aluminum/or other alloy, and Bakelite.

Top Bottom