What's new

Going to start going ATG as first pass.

Well, I have been trying to use my AS-D2 to obtain a quick and super-smooth shave, and it has been mostly great, but the mildness of the razor required a 4 pass shave.

My usual method is to go WTG, XTG, then ATG, but with the AS-D2, I always had a section of my right jaw line only that never came out BBS. Almost BBS, but not quite. I kept going back over it as touch up to try to get it, and it just wasn't leaving me with that accomplished feeling. Stretching, and following hair mapping didn't cut it (pun intended). :biggrin1: Then I started thinking about it after my last shave. I always rub my fingers over the hair growth to pull it "up" when going ATG anyway, and it does make a difference. I realized that going ATG first would allow the razor to more closely shear off the whiskers that are pulled up by my fingers. When I go ATG last, the whiskers are so short that they snap back sooner, not allowing the blade to get down to the base of the hair, with the mild AS-D2 riding over the hair.

Today I took a small step toward my theory that ATG first would be most effective. I always shave according to my hair growth and come out with a COMPLETE BBS shave with all my other razors, and decided to shave instead going "backwards" in my pass order. But I was a little hesitant to do that yet. I wanted to see what a WTG, ATG, then XTG did for me.

Today, I decided to make the ATG the SECOND pass, and already, I am blown away with the difference, and ease of getting it! I am so happy! So it was WTG, ATG, then XTG.

Next shave I am going full ATG first, then WTG, XTG. I suspect it will be even better, and also irritation-free. I am pretty sure I am going to make this my new order of shave passes, because nothing beats an actual BBS at every point on your face.

I will report on my next shave!

Last edited:
I used to do a 4 pass shave. Like you, I have evolved to a first pass wtg and xtg at the same time, then I go with a modified ATG second pass then touch ups. It works good for me too.

I used to do a 4 pass shave. Like you, I have evolved to a first pass wtg and xtg at the same time, then I go with a modified ATG second pass then touch ups. It works good for me too.

I'm going to go first pass AGAINST the grain! LOL I have been shaving first pass WTG for 3 years, but now going to go against on first pass.

I know, it seems like it's crazy, but my theory has proven true (for my own face). :thumbup1:

I'm going to go first pass AGAINST the grain! LOL I have been shaving first pass WTG for 3 years, but now going to go against on first pass.

I know, it seems like it's crazy, but my theory has proven true (for my own face). :thumbup1:

If it works for you, how can it be wrong :thumbup:

If it works for you, how can it be wrong :thumbup:

I was worried about people thinking I was nuts, so thanks for the vote of confidence! Also, I believe my skin must not be overly sensitive to such treatment, because it does sound like it would be harsh, but it wasn't. :biggrin1:

I do a N>S, then S>N, which, in my case, is mainly WTG then ATG. Some mild all-direction touchup around the chin, and I'm BBS.

More on point here, when I do S>N first, I just seem to get too much drag, with no improvement to the shave, but more chance of nicks or irritation.

I do a N>S, then S>N, which, in my case, is mainly WTG then ATG. Some mild all-direction touchup around the chin, and I'm BBS.

More on point here, when I do S>N first, I just seem to get too much drag, with no improvement to the shave, but more chance of nicks or irritation.

Thanks Jack! I can't wait to find out how it goes for me. I already notice a big difference with second pass being ATG.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It does sound nuts, but good results trump all. Congratulations on finding something that works well!

Well, I have been trying to use my AS-D2 to obtain a quick and super-smooth shave, and it has been mostly great, but the mildness of the razor required a 4 pass shave.

My usual method is to go WTG, XTG, then ATG, but with the AS-D2, I always had a section of my right jaw line only that never came out BBS. Almost BBS, but not quite. I kept going back over it as touch up to try to get it, and it just wasn't leaving me with that accomplished feeling. Stretching, and following hair mapping didn't cut it (pun intended). :biggrin1: Then I started thinking about it after my last shave. I always rub my fingers over the hair growth to pull it "up" when going ATG anyway, and it does make a difference. I realized that going ATG first would allow the razor to more closely shear off the whiskers that are pulled up by my fingers. When I go ATG last, the whiskers are so short that they snap back sooner, not allowing the blade to get down to the base of the hair, with the mild AS-D2 riding over the hair.

Today I took a small step toward my theory that ATG first would be most effective. I always shave according to my hair growth and come out with a COMPLETE BBS shave with all my other razors, and decided to shave instead going "backwards" in my pass order. But I was a little hesitant to do that yet. I wanted to see what a WTG, ATG, then XTG did for me.

Today, I decided to make the ATG the SECOND pass, and already, I am blown away with the difference, and ease of getting it! I am so happy! So it was WTG, ATG, then XTG.

Next shave I am going full ATG first, then WTG, XTG. I suspect it will be even better, and also irritation-free. I am pretty sure I am going to make this my new order of shave passes, because nothing beats an actual BBS at every point on your face.

I will report on my next shave!

Can't wait to hear how it goes. Good luck! :001_smile

Good luck.

:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I should add something that I didn't initially. I will only do this with the AS-D2 because it's the only razor I have that will leave less than BBS in that one spot.

I actually prefer to go WTG, XTG, then ATG, but I am feeling I need to hopefully find the trick (and try a new thing).

The Gene Wilder thing is hilarious, and makes we a little worried. :laugh: :w00t:

When I shaved with carts, I only went ATG under my chin. My DE routine has been WTG, ATG, touch ups for a DFS+.

But, I thought I'd try the same as carts once - ATG only under by chin. Didn't work well. Left it irritated; not sure why but I haven't tried it again due to the irritation. I'm guessing it technique more than anything. I also use the AS-D2.

Just FYI - YMMV.

I do two passes, with lots of buffing, with my daily driver, my ATT H2. South to north, which is ATG from neck to nose in the center of my face, and XTG up the sides of my face. My second pass is from at and below each of my ears to the center of my face. BBS every time, but lots of buffing, including diagonally up from my neck to my nose.

Top Bottom