What's new

Going To Pasteur Pharmacy Tomorrow

Going to Pasteur's tomorrow for the first time. I want to pick up one of each of the following:

1. DE Safety Razor
2. Shaving Cream
3. Shaving Soap
4. After Shave Splash/Balm
5. Brush

If it were you going what would you pick up? I appreciate any feedback! OH, and I want to keep it to $150.00 Max. Although I don't think that will happen.

:001_cool:

Last edited:
That is a very tough question. They have so many great products, and we don't know what you are looking for.
I am not sure what they have in terms of Razors, as I have never spent much time looking at them. I do know they have Edwin Jaggers and Merkur and you cant really go too wrong with one of them.

As far as brushed go they have a big line of Simpsons, Omegas and Semogues. So I would do some research into what you are looking for in a brush and go with a few ideas in mind. Then you can look at them up close. If you want a Badger, with your budget I would go with one of the smaller knots like the Berkley or Case. Good brush at a good price. A good semogue is cheap, like 20 bucks there.

I would definitely walk out with a stick of Arko, becasue sooner or later you are going to want to try it :001_cool:

Nando,

Razor-Edwin Jagger DE89 about 50 with tax.
Cream-Proraso Red, about 12 with tax.
Soap-this is hard. A million good choices, but you should get something in a wooden bowl if you don't already have one. A Trumper's or a DR Harris. About 35 with tax.
AS or ASB-Cheap-Witch Hazel or Pinaud Clubmen-7bucks with tax; expensive-Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet ASB-60 with tax. Lots of choices in between.
Brush: Huge selection of Vie Long or Semogue Boars and Horsehairs. You cannot choose a loser. 15 or 20 dollars. Others can advise better on the midrange badgers.

While you're there, get a block of alum (about 7 bucks) and the absolutely fantastic and ingenious Proraso styptic gel. About 7 bucks also. Prepare to be overwhelmed. My first day there I was like a kid in a round room and told to pee in the corner. Didn't know where to look next.

oake

Good luck trying to stick to "one of each". I have never gotten out of that store with one of anything. Have fun.

I picked up an Omega Proffessional Boar brush a week or so ago at their store on Lex - it was $12.98. It's now one of my favorite brushes. I had some money to spare for some Pre De Province soap and Bath Gel for SWMBO. I thought I saw a gold Merkur 37C slant on the shelf. The store on Lex has a Merkur Futur, a Progress and a Vision 2000 right on the shelf to play with before you decide to buy.

Last edited:
This store sounds amazing. Have fun, and be sure to take some extra cash.
I would look for an EJ DE89 or Muhle R89. Awesome mild razors.

I want to thank all you guys for your comments and suggestions. My trip to Pasteur's was great. They had so many choices it was really hard to decide on what to get. Unfortunately I went during my lunch hour and ran our of the office before checking this thread. But I will keep all your suggestions in mind the next time I go to the store on Lexington Ave. Since I gave my self a limit of $150 I went for the cheaper products in order to be able to buy a few different things. So this is what I picked up on my first trip.

1. Merkur 34c DE Razor
2. Semogue 1460 Brush
3. Cella red tub
4. Musgo Real shaving cream tube
5. La Toja Shaving cream tube
6. Tabac Soap Puck
7. Arko Soap Stick
8. Speick After Shave splash

$2012-08-11_03-25-21_309.jpg

These are all pretty classic products that I've read good things about here on B&G and look forward to trying them all out. I'll share my experience in another thread.

Happy Shaving!!! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Well done! You have certainly chosen some classic stuff and although there is no way to know if something really appeals to you until you try it, I would say that your chances are pretty good with that lot. Enjoy!

Nice job of shopping! I went to the E. 34th ST store about a week ago, when taking my son for his first visit to NYC. Due to his impatience I had just 5 or 10 minutes in the store, even as I was overwhelmed by the variety of products, nearly all of which I had never seen "in the flesh" before. I had to content myself with a purchase of a Speick stick and a tuck of Supermax blades (which I don't normally use). btw, I'm now on the Boston leg of the trip and visited Colonial Pharmacy. Pasteur wins hands-down in terms of both stock and prices.

Nice job of shopping! I went to the E. 34th ST store about a week ago, when taking my son for his first visit to NYC.

Thanks! I also went to the one on 34th street since it was the closest to where I work. I hear the one on Lexington has a bit more of a selection or maybe its just bigger in size but either way I'd like to visit that one at some point as well. I had a great shopping experience. The workers there were very helpful with any questions I had and the cashier also mentioned that if the owner was there that he would have given me samples of different products to try, which I have also heard from other B&B members.

Anyway thanks again for your comments!

I like the one on 34th street. Believe it or not the Lexington location has higher prices.

Really! That's surprising since they have another store near by to compare prices to. But I guess its relative to the location. Did you find the selection in the Lexington location to be any better than the 34th Street?

Nice work Nando. Enjoy

Thanks Joshua! Your post was the only one I got to read before going to the store so I took your advice and picked up a stick of Arko. Looking forward to trying it out. Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.

:thumbup:

So, I finally got to try some of the new products I picked up at Pasteur's. This was by far the best shave I have had since I began wet shaving. Every product I used today was my first
time trying it except for the Tweezerman brush. The Musgo Real shaving cream was the first cream I've used so far and it was great. Face lathered easily and it had a wonderful smell. Used a Blue Bird blade in my new Merkur 34c which gave me the closest smooth shave I've had so far. My first truly BBS shave! To finish it off I used Speick aftershave splash which went on strong but mellowed out nicely, leaving a mild lingering scent. The added weight the Merkur 34c compared to the 23c long handle, definitely improved the cutting action of the blade. I was really impressed with how good it shaved. I would highly recommend all of these products to anyone new to wet shaving and to anyone else who has never tried them. You won't be disappointed.

$2012-08-12_01-40-46_4.jpg

Nice score!!! I read a review on Google Maps link that the store on Lex had a larger shave gear selection than 34th Street but, after visiting both locations, I'd say it was a tie. The store on Lex had a Merkur Vision, Futur and Progress, at waist level, to play around with. Both locations are worth a visit.

Nice Kit, plus nice restraint. If I went to Pasteurs, I'd go absolutely nuts. I might have to hire a Brinks truck to carry me and my loot home hehe.

Top Bottom