What's new

Going to give MWF another go

Hi ,

After trying MWF a while ago and having less than perfect results at lathering this soap I have decided to give this soap another try, any tips any one can give on getting this beast to lather and on getting a nice,thick lather ? Thanks for any advice

Make sure the puck is well hydrated. If it's been a while since you used it the usual 5 minute pre-soak may not be enough. I gave my new puck a two day soak before using and, while it was pretty good, it still wasn't optimal. I load heavily then load a little bit more with a relatively dry Vie-Long horsehair brush. I get my best results face lathering with an occasional dip of the brush tips into the sink. I build a lather with circular motions across my jawbone. I end a lather with painting strokes. Water quality, hard/soft, has a great impact. Check out the Order of the Fat thread for more tips.

thanks for the replies , i will give the soap an overnight soak and try loading the brush a lot and see how it goes

The only "problem" that i face with that soap is that the lather it dries quite fast. It seams that it has his own temperament...

I ordered some this afternoon. I've heard mixed things about the soap. I just saw a Mantic video that said there's an ingredient that promotes irritation and ingrown hairs for people of certain skin types so I hope that doesn't happen to me.

The only "problem" that i face with that soap is that the lather it dries quite fast. It seams that it has his own temperament...

Same here - it looks and feels good for about 30 seconds and then collapses/evaporates. I've tried Marcos Method, changed water temp, soaking vs non soaking etc. I have softened water and still cant get a quality lather. only thing I havent tried on it is a boar brush, but I cant imagine that would be the dealmaker.

I so want to love this soap, but I may have to give up on it.

I ordered some this afternoon. I've heard mixed things about the soap. I just saw a Mantic video that said there's an ingredient that promotes irritation and ingrown hairs for people of certain skin types so I hope that doesn't happen to me.

I believe Manic is referring to the Lanolin in MWF. It's a very rare allergy so you should be alright. People are more likely to be prone to reactions from the compounds that crest the scent in soaps/creams.

I believe Manic is referring to the Lanolin in MWF. It's a very rare allergy so you should be alright. People are more likely to be prone to reactions from the compounds that crest the scent in soaps/creams.

+1

Lanolin is the cause of wool allergies. Do other wool products cause you problems?

I have oily skin and that is what Mantic is referring to, but I don't have any problems with it at all and absolutely love the stuff.

Hi ,

After trying MWF a while ago and having less than perfect results at lathering this soap I have decided to give this soap another try, any tips any one can give on getting this beast to lather and on getting a nice,thick lather ? Thanks for any advice

Do you have a hard water? If yes - try lathering with distilled water from a bottle.

Also, use a boar brush if possible (or any other brush with good backbone).

+2. I was unnecessarily worried about the lanolin after watching Mantic's video.

Well worth another try I think. It was the first soap I ever tried when I started making my own lather. Other soaps might seem easier to lather by comparison.

I was finally able to get a great shave out of Da Fat. Soaking the puck for 12 hours seemed to fix the problems I was having with it. I guess it's such a hard soap that it wasn't loading well until I soaked it. I used to just get very airy, fluffy lather but everything went smoothly today. I'm starting to see why the people who have gotten it to work like it so much.

Make sure the puck is well hydrated. If it's been a while since you used it the usual 5 minute pre-soak may not be enough. I gave my new puck a two day soak before using and, while it was pretty good, it still wasn't optimal. I load heavily then load a little bit more with a relatively dry Vie-Long horsehair brush. I get my best results face lathering with an occasional dip of the brush tips into the sink. I build a lather with circular motions across my jawbone. I end a lather with painting strokes. Water quality, hard/soft, has a great impact. Check out the Order of the Fat thread for more tips.

Got the soap today after I got back from work. I made an ok lather with my small EJ brush. I load it pretty much the same way as other soaps but I'll give it a soak over night and see what happens. It might have to be a "days off" product as it took a bit longer than I'd like to get a lather. I'm too used to TOBS, Eshave, Proraso exploding in mere seconds.

Man, I tried the overnight soak routine and although it lathered right away, it still didn't give me the quality lather I was hoping for. Just too airy, despite getting a decent paste on the brush and very slowly adding water -softened water. I can dig the awesome glide the fat offers, but I need to have that coverage and cushion that doesnt get sticky in 45 seconds. I'm afraid the fat is getting shelved...Until I can find someone to swap me something else.

MMight be sacriledge, but you ccould try grating. I've only had
mwf as a sample, and iit came grated. I soaked it aa bit to get it to congeal but then it worked great.

Top Bottom