What's new

Going to give creams / soaps another try

While people say use an "almond-sized" amount, my experience is that the true "snurdle" (B&B cream measurement unit developped by either Scotto or Ouch - I think) is more like 1.5 - 2 almonds.

For clarification, would this be a whole almond, with shell, or a shelled almond, just the nut? There is quite a bit of difference.

While people say use an "almond-sized" amount, my experience is that the true "snurdle" (B&B cream measurement unit developped by either Scotto or Ouch - I think) is more like 1.5 - 2 almonds.

For clarification, would this be a whole almond, with shell, or a shelled almond, just the nut? There is quite a bit of difference.

Just the nut.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
At the end of the day, it is all about what gives you the best shave. I just wanted to make sure I had given shaving with creams/soaps a good chance before deciding they weren't for me.

However one thing I will never stop using is the DE razors themselves.

... until you switch to straights, that is ... :ohmy:

if you haven't already. I really believe them to be two of the best cremes out there so far and I have used a few.
Also on the topic of glycerin soaps, Mama Bear makes one of the best out there, and whats more is even my "floppy" Vulfix makes tons of lather with it.
You may want to contact them and see of they ship to the UK.

I guess I'll have to give one of these non-lathering creams a go one of these days.

It is important to note that several of them are reviewed in the B&B Review section.

If you have very sensitive skin, I would suggest Art of Shaving Unscented cream which I find surprisingly gentle, but no better than Trumper's stuff. I started with soaps but prefer cream now.
Not be patronizing, but do you always shave after a hot shower? I also have a mug of very hot water nearby to soak the brush. After applying the cream and brushing until I start to lather, I dip the brush in the hot water and really build up the cream with the warmer water. I brush around for at least 1 minute, probably more as I hate rushing.

The fact that your brushless gel gives you the result you like may indicate that part of the answer is in the way you work up the lather.

Very interesting indeed.

I guess I'll have to give one of these non-lathering creams a go one of these days.

It is important to note that several of them are reviewed in the B&B Review section.

I have recently started using the non lathering creams. In my thread "Im Back", I spoke about both the Billy Jealousy and the Lucky Tiger. Both BLEW ME AWAY.

If you have very sensitive skin, I would suggest Art of Shaving Unscented cream which I find surprisingly gentle, but no better than Trumper's stuff. I started with soaps but prefer cream now.
Not be patronizing, but do you always shave after a hot shower? I also have a mug of very hot water nearby to soak the brush. After applying the cream and brushing until I start to lather, I dip the brush in the hot water and really build up the cream with the warmer water. I brush around for at least 1 minute, probably more as I hate rushing.

The fact that your brushless gel gives you the result you like may indicate that part of the answer is in the way you work up the lather.

Very interesting indeed.

I sometimes shave after a shower, but if not I do a very thorough hot towel face prep.

The Zirh gel is just so lubricating, I cannot imagine any lather being as slick as it, regardless of how well worked. That is not to say that lather isn't slick enough to shave well with though of course. In fact I had a pretty good shave with my brush and lather last night afterall...

Josh -

How did you like the Billy Jealousy? How does it compare with Jack Black Beard Lube? Anyone else have thoughts on either of these?

Also, I am wondering if these products can still be applied with a brush...of course it will not lather, but would it still be a benefit to apply using one?

Lastly, while you guys, like me find that you get a good shave in terms of no irritation, etc. do we sacrifice closeness at all compared to if we used a traditional style cream?

I guess I am mostly asking the lather questions as everything I've read lately says that to ultimately get the best shave use a brush and a good cream...or do the products we are speaking of even above still fall into this category?

Josh -

How did you like the Billy Jealousy? How does it compare with Jack Black Beard Lube? Anyone else have thoughts on either of these?

Also, I am wondering if these products can still be applied with a brush...of course it will not lather, but would it still be a benefit to apply using one?

Lastly, while you guys, like me find that you get a good shave in terms of no irritation, etc. do we sacrifice closeness at all compared to if we used a traditional style cream?

I guess I am mostly asking the lather questions as everything I've read lately says that to ultimately get the best shave use a brush and a good cream...or do the products we are speaking of even above still fall into this category?

It was FAR superior to the Jack Black beard lube IMHO. Both the lucky Tiger and Billy jealousy can be applied with a brush...I do it. Just no lather. I am absolutely hooked on both of them right now. My new go to routine, is a droplet of Coral Skin Food. Then the Billy Jealousy Hot Towel treatment. Followed by my fav cream of the day. Topped afterwards with Lucky Tiger Face Tonic. It gives no irratation and very very close shaves.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Hmm. I'm interested. I also just read your previous post. I may have to look into some of the products you mentioned. I've been interested in trying quite a few of them anyway.

Billy J - Would you say the star is the hot towel or the cream? Or is it both. What is it you liked about the hot towel, i.e. is it more like a pre-shave oil, or is it that it warmed your face?

I also was interested in the Gentlemen's Refinery. Did you like the BJ, Lucky Tiger or this cream better...meaning if I were going to get just one?

I guess I am kind of on this do I want to use more of a brushless type product like BJ or should I be using a traditional cream kick. FWIW I use a mach 3.

Thanks!

Billy Jealousy - I am not sure which one is the star. The hot towel is very nice. I have used it with both their cream and others. It works fantastic either way. I like the hot towel because of the slight warming of the face. It works as advertised. It does not get hot, but rather warm. Right after the coral skin food and the hot towel, my face "feels ready". I like the Lucky Tiger cream the best out of all the ones you listed. Refinery and BJ are truly in my top 5 right now, and are all in the rotation. I love the brushless creams, even though I still use AOS lavender and T&H Almond a lot too. With a mach 3, a brushless just might be the way to go.

I'm the exact opposite from you guys. I've tried various shave oils and non-lathering creams and they don't work for me. I always go back to the shaving soaps and creams which lather nicely. The razors seem to glide easier.

I'm the exact opposite from you guys. I've tried various shave oils and non-lathering creams and they don't work for me. I always go back to the shaving soaps and creams which lather nicely. The razors seem to glide easier.

That is why I love this site. Everyone is different. I have yet to find anything glide better than the Billy Jealousy or Lucky Tiger.

It is kind of interesting how everyone is different. I am sure there are several factors involved. I really enjoy using some of the traditional creams, they smell great, I love the feel of the lather, and how soft they make my skin feel...but at the same time I don't usually get as good of a shave with them...no matter which one I try, or work on my water/cream ratio. I also think that some of the creams tend to irritate my skin a little bit as I often find I have a little bit of a rash or blotchy skin afterwards...I don't have this with some of the newer style of creams. Don't know what the difference is and wish I did.

It's most likely because I have yet to venture over to the DE side:) I am getting close to trying it though, but I am still not convinced...especially since what I am doing now seems to be working.

Any thoughts/opinions on my comments would be welcomed and appreciated.

Hey Gareth, I'm gonna have to +3000 here on the QED. From your list, you have yet to try a glycerin soap, and QED's Sandalwood is about as slippery as I have ever seen anything, plus it's the best smelling sandalwood product out there. Creams are great, and are really easy to lather, but by God, Charles soaps just do it!

Give Charles or MB Sue a ring and order a puck or two. If you don't like them I'm sure you can sell them for close to what you paid. But it is entirely important to try a quality glycerin-based soap before writing it all off again.

You should really try a DE. Of all the stuffed talked about on Badger and Blade, a double edged razor has given me the biggest "bang for the buck". Shave cream a brush? I suppose it's more of an aquired taste and the "Goo in the can" actually works pretty good. But a double edge razor just gives you a good shave without much irritation, once you learn to use it (and it's not that hard).

Have had BBS without having shed a drop of blood for atleast a week.

how?
- Get a lather going with soap (palmolive in my case)
- Then I add Tony & Guy shaving cream (non-lathering, basically slickness in a tube.) to the bowl, this will destoy the nice lather but don't worry about that.
The lather will look and feel terrible but shaves unbelievably well. :w00t:

Top Bottom