What's new

Going to Chicago...

...for the first time (other than O’Hare connections). Looking forward to a few days discovering the city. Staying close to the Oak Street Beach. We are probably going to the Field Museum, Art Institute, and Aquarium. What are the must sees and dos in Chicago? Food and drink tips? Might check out Merz Apothecary, but my shaving coffers are pretty full. Planning on a run or two on North Shore Drive and a swim in Lake Michigan. Any tips on enjoying this huge city appreciated!

Actually that is Lake Shore Drive and is a must. The only pizza place worth it is Lou's as in Lou Malnati's. Wrigley Field is neat to drive by or to catch a game - very historic. Navy Pier is all touristy stuff, skip it. But there is a great bike path along the lakefront. You can rent bikes and do it yourself at Navy Pier. Folks rave about the Architectural Boat tour but book in advance. A fun thing to do is to rent small pontoon boat with electric motors on the Chicago River and explore - google it. If you go to Merz go to the Lincoln Square location and walk the neighboring locally owned shops, there are some fun ones and a few good places to eat. The Field Museum with stuffed animals does not do it for me. Science and Industry is more interesting and is south of the loop. A cool vantage point is to go to the Adler Planetarium in the morning and see the whole skyline before you with the morning sun on it and boats in the harbor in the foreground. It is very near the Shedd Aquarium and if that is your thing it is neat.

Report back!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Last time I was there I wanted to do the Sears Tower to see the city from high, but it's like 20 bucks or something. So we went to the John Hancock building instead and had a drink (or two) at The Signature Room, which is on the 95th floor. I don't recall it costing us anything but the price of drinks and we saw the city from high. I don't know that 15 more floors would have showed us much more. Better off doing that if you want a nice view of the city.

...for the first time (other than O’Hare connections). Looking forward to a few days discovering the city. Staying close to the Oak Street Beach. We are probably going to the Field Museum, Art Institute, and Aquarium. What are the must sees and dos in Chicago? Food and drink tips? Might check out Merz Apothecary, but my shaving coffers are pretty full. Planning on a run or two on North Shore Drive and a swim in Lake Michigan. Any tips on enjoying this huge city appreciated!

Speaking as a native Chicagoan all of the above mentioned are good suggestions.
Malnati’s pizza is good but so is Giordiano’s as well as Uno’s Or Due’s where it all started.
The architectural boat cruise is good. I think it departs from Michigan Ave at Wacker Dr.
If you can’t make it up to Mertz on Lincoln Ave they have a boutique version in the Palmer House. The Lincoln Ave store doesn’t have near the selection they used to have. The front of Q Bros now is relegated to perfumes now instead of shaving gear like a year ago.
If fine art is appeals the Art Institute on Michigan Ave is world class.
Catch a free concert in Millennium Park at the Pritizker Pavilion designed by Frank Ghery on Wednesday, Friday or Saturday nights. And check out the Bean in the same park

Last edited:
Thanks for all the other suggestions! And the correction - I think I was going for North Lake Shore Drive there! :-S

Even if you don't have room for more, Merz is fun to browse and look at items you'll never find anywhere else. If you goto the Merz downtown, make sure to stop by the lobby bar in the Palmer House Hotel next door. Have a drink and look at up at the beautiful painted ceiling. While you're in that area, walk around the corner to Iwan Ries at 19 S. Wabash and have a great cigar in their lounge.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I recommend doing the last 106 miles on a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, while wearing sunglasses at night.

You should probably go see the penguin while you are there but be sure to keep a civil tongue in your mouth.

I just saw that news item about the gator! I thought I would be safe swimming there! Thanks for the suggestions!

I recommend doing the last 106 miles on a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, while wearing sunglasses at night.

You should probably go see the penguin while you are there but be sure to keep a civil tongue in your mouth.
Lol! I should watch it again before going!

I was also told to watch “The Fugitive” again...

Top Bottom