What's new

Going local...

Three new local shaving soaps in the den. Local for me in Zimbabwe means South Africa. Jaco from Bundubeard produces some interesting products in my opinion. The 'Spicy Passage' is a tallow based soap and contains ostrich oil. For a long time already I wanted to try out a bay rum scented soap and read in one of the reviews that 'Spicy Passage' is just that! 'Cederberg Citrus' is a vegetable glycerine based soap with what I perceive as a citrus-caramel scent. 'The Gentle Giant'... main ingredient bees wax! Contains honey, pollen, propolis and baobab oil. I can't really describe the scent, I guess 'waxy'?
Very, very curious to try these out!
IMG_5993.JPG
IMG_5997.JPG

That's interesting that the maker has 3 very different bases. Just looked and he doesn't seem to ship to the U.S. Let us know how it is.

That's interesting that the maker has 3 very different bases. Just looked and he doesn't seem to ship to the U.S. Let us know how it is.
If you look at the Tabac-saga, it's maybe not that weird to offer both tallow/vegan products? He actually has another glycerine base that contains some artificial ingredients. Not that I'm a chemist and really know what is what, but full word ingredients just feel more natural. Looking at these three soaps the ingredients look pretty natural to me, or am I wrong?

The gentle giant shaving soap is a product that stands on its own, the other two bases have several scents.

I tried out the gentle giant this morning without my usual prep (Proraso pre shave green) as I didn't want the fragrances to clash. As stated by Jaco from Bundubeard, the soap is thirsty. I always face lather and started with a well loaded damp brush and dipped the brush tips in water every now and then. I got a rich lather and my Fatip Wood Ulivo Originale & 4th shave KAI blade gave me a BBS shave without any irritation after two passes. After a hot and then as-cold-as-possible rinse, I applied Proraso green aftershave. The aftershave scent dissipated quite fast (as usual) but the waxy scent of the shaving soap lingers on. Quite nice, I feel like freshly polished soldiers' boots ready to take on the world ;-). Especially the under-the-chin area feels quite smooth/soft.

You seem to think that "natural" is by it's nature (hah) a good thing. Not necessarily, there's a lot out there in nature that may cause skin rashes or even kill you.

You seem to think that "natural" is by it's nature (hah) a good thing. Not necessarily, there's a lot out there in nature that may cause skin rashes or even kill you.
I agree. People can have allergies. Plants can be toxic. But with full word ingredients it's easier to identify/remeber what you're allergic to and what's toxic. I rather be allergic to avocado oil than to Incromectant L Amea, Lanexol AWS, Crodasinic CAC, Propylene Glycol, Urea, or EDTA Disodium Salt. Ingredients with acronyms are all suspicious imho ;-)

Top Bottom