What's new

Going Back to the 53 Super Speed

I have a 53, 57 and a few black handled later Super Speeds. Although they always have me an easy DFS, I found to get BBS, I basically had to do 4 passes. Even my mildest razors usually get me there in 3 passes. Very smooth and irritation free but couldn’t muster up anything blade wise to really get me past that 4 pass mark. Blades I tried included Kai, Feather, Yellows and Lab Blues.

For the first time in years, I cut myself with a razor, more than a weeper and got myself good on my chin. My fault completely, too many fast strokes using a new KCG blade and a Standard Aluminum Razor. Just too fast and overconfident/careless.

Instead of using my old Norelco electric on my chin while I heal, I decided to throw the KCG blade that was in the Standard Razor into my 53 Super Speed.

Day 1, got a 3 pass BBS for the first time with the 53 and this morning, I got there with 2 passes and cleanup. I have always recommended the wider Kai for vintages but now I want to put the blade in others to see how it does.

I’ve gone on and on about my love for this blade on other posts. I’m thinking about trying other blades in the Super Speed to see how things go. My technique hit a happy plateau years ago. Not sure whether I’ve been in the zone the last few days, the blade is a better match or if my technique got just a little better in the last year.

My SuperSpeed (I have the same year) shaves beautifully. I prefer a thicker handle to my razors, and so the SS is not as big a favorite with me. But if some malevolent elf should snatch all my other razors away some night, the SS would serve me just fine.

Another pleasant shave this morning. I might run though my other Super Speed years for a while to see how things go. My first KCG blade gave me 33 smooth shaves and I had a little tug on 34, but that was with my Super 84. Not sure where I am with the second blade in the pack, now in its third razor. May get a few more tug free shaves using a Super Speed.

Great razors. Each with its own unique personality. Find the right blade(s) for you and you’ll live happily ever after.

Top Bottom