What's new

Going all in on SR

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am all in with SR's except that I keep a Ming Shi 2000S and Braun M90 for my carry-on dop bag. The M90 is for those rare occasions when there is insufficient water available to wet shave.

I shave at home with the 2000S about once every 3 months, just to keep my hand in. That way I get about a year's use out of each DE blade.

I love my straights, but it would take me a long time to clear out my many, many OCs, slants, Gem blade SEs, and injectors. Not to mention oddballs like AutoStrops and other replacable blade razors that never made it to the mainstream.

Inexpensive wild-caught vintage razors are by far the bulk of what I own and use. I do enjoy trying out the new mid-range DE designs that come on the market. And I was generously PIFed a Mingoose out of the blue!

For that matter, it would take me a while to pare down the SRs to the dozen or two that are my favorites. But I'm not even trying. I currently buy more SRs than any other type of razor, but I hunt in the wild and enjoy restoring vintage razors to usability.

So I continue to use nearly all of them, often more than one razor in a single shave. I can still get through them in less than a year. I give away more razors than I sell, but I do release some.

As for this:

Keep shaving with your straights and you will eventually be able to shave just as quickly as you now do with a DE. It will just happen.

The first western style straight I ever used came to me indirectly from steveclarkus. Thanks, Steve! Still, this is a completely ahistorical assertion. No honing, no stropping won hands down a century ago. Moving my straight across my face is not where the time goes. I will go den racing against anyone with a Schick injector and a dab of Barbasol Sensitive brushless, latherless cream.

But... most of my shaves are luxurious self-indulgent time-wasters. They are also quasi-social events that usually involve posts and interactions on B&B or elsewhere. My other types of razors are also shared connections to online pals. I'm not abandoning those connections, either. So many rabbits, so many holes!

I boxed up about thirty five vintage Gillettes of various models/iterations and have now surpassed 100 SRs. I keep the box tucked under my display case of SRs and have kept about a dozen high-end three piece stainless razors in the bottom of my display case which I know I will return to when I can no longer shave with a SR. Probably in about thirty years

Good advise as always gents. I’m a little surprised to see so much love for, or at least reluctance to fully give up, the DE within the SR camp. It makes sense though. There’s no need to be hasty and sell everything off at a loss only to buy it again later on. I’ve decided to keep my two best non-SR razors; the Blackland Vector (SE) and the Timeless 0.68 OC (DE). All considered, these are pretty good blade holders.

I will put them into storage for now. Out of sight and out of mind they will act as a back up for the future. One day I might come back to them or pass them onto the little fella. Until then, the den will be streamlined to house only my working SR’s. This will appease my minimalist OCD and will mean that I have one less pre-coffee decision fo make in the morning! 👍

F1956BBA-EEE2-4F85-BEC8-1FED671D40D2.jpeg

C4656B16-A04B-4083-8015-BEDBC6362FD9.jpeg
1C08AD68-C30F-4EB2-845C-2222FC420FC5.jpeg

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Tomo that's were a seven-day comes in handy. It removes that added stress of trying to decide which SR to shave with today. You only have to make a decision like that once a week when deciding which set to shave with at the start of the week.

Then there is the 31-day set for even less stress 😊.

@Tomo that's were a seven-day comes in handy. It removes that added stress of trying to decide which SR to shave with today. You only have to make a decision like that once a week when deciding which set to shave with at the start of the week.

Then there is the 31-day set for even less stress 😊.
Thank you @rbscebu. I’m slowly running out of reasons to justify buying more straight razors. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Good advise as always gents. I’m a little surprised to see so much love for, or at least reluctance to fully give up, the DE within the SR camp. It makes sense though. There’s no need to be hasty and sell everything off at a loss only to buy it again later on. I’ve decided to keep my two best non-SR razors; the Blackland Vector (SE) and the Timeless 0.68 OC (DE). All considered, these are pretty good blade holders.

I will put them into storage for now. Out of sight and out of mind they will act as a back up for the future. One day I might come back to them or pass them onto the little fella. Until then, the den will be streamlined to house only my working SR’s. This will appease my minimalist OCD and will mean that I have one less pre-coffee decision fo make in the morning! 👍

View attachment 1327254
View attachment 1327260View attachment 1327261
I got into collecting safety razors before straights. I keep them more as collectibles than for using. Hell, I have a bunch of straights I’ve never restored or shaved with that I keep for the same reason.

Top Bottom