What's new

Going all in on SR

I started my wet shaving journey with DE and dabbled in SE before going deep on straight razors. So far I’ve kept my best DE And SE razor along with my ever growing collection of straights. The thing is that I never use the DE or SE anymore. Where wet shaving is concerned, the minimalist idea went out the window long ago but I’m still minimalist at heart. I don’t like clutter or keeping things that don’t get used. I’m thinking of selling up and focusing purely on straights. Has anyone else done this? Do you guys still keep a few DE’s for old times sake or have they gone the way of the Dodo?

I still have my DE's they do get used the odd time but I will never part with them, I only have around 25 so a small number compared to my straights.

I kept a deep scar for a few months after trying to use my straight with 2 hour sleep. That was long time ago and I don't get injured in shaves any longer but I still reach my DEs in the morning, especially if I'm short of sleep.

SM-N950F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

For about 2 years between 2018 and 2020 I was SR shaving exclusively. I sold most of my DEs, keeping only 2 at the time. Since the beginning of this year, I am back to DE shaving most of the time, as I like to shave daily and DEs are more practical and skin-friendly for me

I'd say keep them, because one certain thing in this hobby is that our preferences change over time

I still own a Rockwell 6S and a Lupo .72. I've had some good shaves with them, but my 15/16 Wade & Butcher FBU near wedge is in a world of its own. Everything about it is perfect for me: the heft, the smile, the grind, the silent cut, and its ability to mow down even the coarsest of whiskers with great efficiency. I see no reason not to sell my DE's.

I have been using straights almost exclusively for over a year. On rare occasion, if hurried, I'll grab one of my de or se razors. Done that maybe 5 or 6 times over the last year. I don't have many of those, maybe 25 or so. I am going to thin some of them down, but some I won't ever get rid of, but my priority is strictly straights. I wouldn't completely get rid of your other razors. Never know when you might want a quick shave, or just something different once in a while.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I started my wet shaving journey with DE and dabbled in SE before going deep on straight razors. So far I’ve kept my best DE And SE razor along with my ever growing collection of straights. The thing is that I never use the DE or SE anymore. Where wet shaving is concerned, the minimalist idea went out the window long ago but I’m still minimalist at heart. I don’t like clutter or keeping things that don’t get used. I’m thinking of selling up and focusing purely on straights. Has anyone else done this? Do you guys still keep a few DE’s for old times sake or have they gone the way of the Dodo?

I still have a couple of DEs. I have not used one in a couple of years and have not used one semi-regularly in probably 20 years, but who's counting. I do have a couple of injectors and a few shavettes close at hand, and use either style of razor when the mood strikes. I have lots of different hoe handle wedge sets that I need to sell off, many of which I have only actually used once or twice, meant to restore, but never did.

The Cub is thirteen and he needs to shave once every week. I usually sit silently by his side and give him advice, but only when he asks for it. I have given him a Gillette Superspeed to start with and I am giving him free access to everything razor-related that I've got, especially the DE razors I've saved for him. I keep them for the time when he'll want to do some exploration. The Merkur Vision (far right) is a fantastic shaver. I do also occasionally shave with DE razors myself just because variation is the spice of life. Note the black handled R41 of the first 2011 version (front left), it is great to have when you need to add a little excitment to your shave.

20210910_140201.jpg

I keep the DE-razors below for their beauty and for their shaving historical value. One of the Old Type Gillette razors (made 1924) actually has the only factory made shim I've ever seen or heard of.

20210910_140351.jpg

Finally there's a third reason that might seem a bit gloom. I am not old, but I am not getting any younger. The day might come when my hands no longer will be steady enough to hold a straight razor. If/when that happens I want to have a supply of DE razors that I know works well for me.

I nearly forgot: I do have a stash of Pearl open comp razors that I give away, with some soap and a boar brush, to those asking me on advice to get started with wet shaving.

Legion

Staff member
I have a fair collection of safety razors. Don’t much use them, but I still have a collector’s (hoarders) mindset.

If you're exhausted or ill you'll probably want to use a safety razor.

Or if you're off on holiday for a couple of weeks maybe you won't want to pack all the gear you need to maintain a straight.

I never used a safety razor so I don't know what I'm missing. After I grew a beard 7 years ago I started using a straight to edge it because I had one and it was easy to use for that purpose. When I shaved most of it off I just kept using it. And picked up a few more along the way once I realized how much I actually enjoy shaving.

I happen to like wearing a beard, so if I get to the point due to health or circumstance that I can't shave with a straight, I'll probably just be bearded again.

I have occasionally been curious to try a safety razor, but I'd rather buy more straights. I like straights.

I have a few Fat Boys, Schicks, etc., but I haven't used them in a while. I may put them up on BST one day, just to make some room on my shelves.

I kept a deep scar for a few months after trying to use my straight with 2 hour sleep. That was long time ago and I don't get injured in shaves any longer but I still reach my DEs in the morning, especially if I'm short of sleep.

SM-N950F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
That is where the coticule edge comes in for me. It sort of forgiving.
My de's are gathering dust at the moment.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I prefer and enjoy SR shaving, but occasionally get the urge to use a DE. I have a few vintage DE’s and one modern, appreciate the design and craftsmanship and they take up little room. I also have a slight tremor in my right hand, its mild now and I’ve adapted to continue SR shaving. I guess the DE’s are a contingency plan if things progress. I do love straight razor shaving though.

My dad always used a Gillette adjustable. He had the Gillette gold tone toggle. I threw it out a few years ago because it had gotten green with patina and the plating was somewhat corroded. What a mistake, but I did not know better back then. Those toggles go for a few hundred bucks, even in poor condition.

Top Bottom