What's new

Godrey Shaving Round Soap Review

Godrey Shaving Round Soap Review 01/07/17

One of my favorite aspects of DE shaving journey has been trying new and different products from around the globe. This morning I tried for the first time, Godrey Shaving Round Soap from India. I read in various places on the internet that this was a solid product and I knew someone traveling to India, so I asked him to pick up a puck if possible during his trip. He returned with a puck and I could not wait to try it.

From initial impressions, the soap looked a bit underwhelming. It comes packaged in a blue and white box similar to Williams Mug Soap. Opening the box, the soap was wrapped in paper, which stuck to the bottom of the small puck. You can see some of the remaining paper in the photos. There were some dark specs on the soap, it looked chalky, and the smell was not very attractive. One neat aspect was that the soap was pressed with the logo on one side and the other had a key shape. I was thinking that I would not enjoy this product very much and that the quality was poor. That this was nothing more then some cheap, no-frills, utilitarian soap that was merely adequate to shave with.

Boy where my initial impressions wrong! This morning I decided to give this little, light blue soap a try. I did not use any pre-shave products because I wanted to experience the soap directly in its most basic form. First I placed the Godrey in a small shallow glass bowl and bloomed it by submerging it completely in warm water. I proceeded to shower and washed my face with Cellar Door Bath Supply Co Haunted Woods artisan shave soap.

Returning to my sink for my daily shave, I poured the bloom water into my palm and repeatedly rubbed it deep into the stubble on my face with 1 days worth of whisker growth. Using my new Wolf Whisker brush with a 24mm silvertip badger knot, I loaded the soap from the small bowl. It did not pre-soak the brush today, but ran it under the faucet to get it full of warm water, squeezing out the excess. I wanted the brush full of soap and spent probably a good 30 seconds loading. The soap performed nicely and it was relatively easy to get a good quantity into the brush. I lathered a bit in my Crown King dual chamber scuttle filled with warm water and decided to finish lathering on my face.

Adding minimal amounts of water, the brush rapidly filled with a nice cushioning lather. I painted the lather across my face and it was soon covered with a nice thick layer. I decided to use my PAA Grackle DOC razor with a new Personna Blue comfort coated blade. The razor glided smoothly over my face and the slickness of the soap was just superb. I really was not expecting this at all. The scent also improved with the lather, but was just a mild, basic standard hand washing soap fragrance. Okay and inoffensive, but nothing too special or notable. To me there was a slight powdery scent which I liked, but again all relatively mild.

I completed my first pass with the grain and rinsed my face. The soap was not on my face long, but there did not seem to be any degradation over time, at least for a reasonable period during a shave. My face had a nice residual slickness, which is something I look for. I followed up with two more passes, one across the grain and then one against. All felt excellent with no weepers or irritation. Rinsing off for the final time and then using cold water, I noticed my face still had a nice slickness and was BBS smooth.

For the post shave, I used Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel Toner followed by Aqua Velva Classic Blue Cooling Aftershave. No burn or negative feedback. Just a nice cooling tingle.

In conclusion, this deceptive tiny puck is an excellent performer. It does not have any fancy scent like some of the artisan products, but it will not disappoint and it will leave your face feeling great. If you are considering Godrey, I highly recommend trying the soap. Your opinions will vary, but I was very surprised with this little blue gem!

Rating
Loading – Average. Nothing to note, fairly easy
Lathering – Very Good
Cushion – Excellent
Slickness – Outstanding
Scent – Mediocre
Post - Outstanding

$IMG_3927.jpg
$IMG_4156.jpg
$IMG_4158.jpg

I have Godrej and enjoy using it. I was skeptical at first as well. Mine came in a little plastic container and looked like an oversized blue aqua seltzer tablet. Looked dry and chalky. It lathered like a champ and I found myself enjoying the "scent". Godrej now gets regular use and for some reason it puts a smile on my face. Probably because it's such an unassuming little thing that can't possibly work. But it does. Glad you like it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
"Industrial clean bath," is what I think of.

Mine came in a round plastic, I think. Import vs. export?

AA

Mine was in a box too, but when you open the box it was in the little round tub. Actually not a bad soap, and I found it worked very well (and smelled great) paired with a tiny dollop of the blue menthol Godrej cream.

I'm embarrassed and am sorry guys for my stupid typo. Obviously the soap is Godrej not Godrey. I am not sure what I was thinking other then I wasn't.

It seems others have had good experiences as well. I am surprised this soap does not get more recognition.

Thank you for the comments.
Steve

Godrej is one of the best values around IMO. I wasn't expecting much from it when I got mine either, and the performance blew me away. Great suds!

Some have told me to try the Godrej lime cream. After the great performance of the soap, I think this will be on my list to try in the future. I really have to use some stuff up first!

Thanks for all the good feedback and comments.
Steve

The lime cream is awesome.

I just got the little blue puck Friday from Maggard Razors. I needed to get to the free shipping threshold. I've read the reviews and seaked it out when my cart was just a dollar or two shy.

It's amazing. Literally amazed me.

First off it's a teeny tiny little puck.

Mine was in a little plastic lid and bottom. Hardly anything I would call a container.

It smells nice, lathers mountains of thick creamy lather, and left my skin feeling squeaky clean AND moisturized....

AND it's dirt cheap!

I'm going to start reading more reviews of the inexpensive stuff. I'd rather have things like this any day than the $4 per ounce gruel they're calling soap now a days in artisan foo foo land. I don't need, I do like once in a while, my soap to smell like a liberal arts major's thesis on esoteric scents. I need it to whip up quick and heavy and get the job done. It's got to rinse off easily and clean.

Godrej round is the new Arko of inexpensive soap but if Arko wasn't polarizing from it's smell. It is impressive and inoffensive. Heck it smells half way decent to me.

I was told Biotique Palmyra shave cream from India performs excellent as well. I never personally tried it, but heard it was reasonably priced at around $13. Not as cheap as the Godrej round, but still not overly priced.

Has any tried this?
Steve

Godrej is absolutely fantastic soap. Everyone should own a puck. Very deceptive chalky consistency and institutional scent. It actually produces quality lather and provides a nice, comfortable shave with a crisp, clean finish. It's so communist Haha. 'State sponsored soap' lol. I kid.

I think that the Godrej Shaving round is one of the underdogs of the shaving soap world
I've never had a bad experience with it either as a face or bowl lather, the scent took some getting used to, but it's inoffensive, and it's different enough to make the product interesting
I know it's not cheap online, but there are some good deals on eBay for bulk purchases, but 22 Rupees a puck in supermarkets in India - that's the equivalent of about 25c - to coin a phrase "it's cheap at half the price"

The best thing for me is the blue and white plastic tub - it's so ultra compact, that if you add a Travel Badger Brush a Saiver Travel Razor with a few blades inside the lid and a bottle of HBG Bay Rum.........

You've got a Weekend Shave Kit that you could carry in the back pocket of your jeans !!
$20170109_124132.jpg
$20170109_125045.jpg

I was told Biotique Palmyra shave cream from India performs excellent as well. I never personally tried it, but heard it was reasonably priced at around $13. Not as cheap as the Godrej round, but still not overly priced.

Has any tried this?
Steve

Biotique Palmyra shaving cream is an outstanding cream. I think it is just about the slickest shaving product I use. I've found it for as low as $11USD per tub from a vendor in India. Free shipping if you don't mind waiting 2-4 weeks for delivery. It's definitely worth a try!

The Godrej Shaving Round is a great little cheap soap! I have this too and the unassuming little puck punches way above its weight. Congrats on the find!

Produces a fantastic lather for sure!

Scent is a little boring but not offensive so less risky than other inexpensive soaps like arko.

I have a puck that came in a small plastic tub. I have only used it once, but it seems ok. I need to use it more before I give it a proper recommendation.

Thanks for the great review. I have been a regular user and find it excellent, especially for brush break-in.

Guess something must be wrong with the puck you got. I have bought tens of these and they always come in a blue tub with a white top.

BTW, the Godrej Lime shaving cream and Biotique Bio Palmyra are really excellent recommendations. The Lime cream is a must have if you are into limes while the Biotique is a superior croap that will hold its own against any product.

Top Bottom