What's new

goatees

how many of you guys here have em? How long does it take on average for a goatee to fill in? I've been toying with the idea of growing a flavor savor, something similar to the Stevie Ray Vaughan/Joe Hachem (see this pic for an illustration)

Problem I have is that I hate the itchy feeling of growing it in for the first week or two. How long does it generally take to get it fully in?

Just curious as to whether or not I'm ready to patient enough :wink:

I had one that I shaved off about 9 mo to a year ago. Took about 2-3 mo before it looked decent, but then my facial hair takes awhile before it looks full. When I've grown it out the first several months look really thin but after several months pass it starts to fill out decently. Thats just my experience. I shaved mine off when I got sick of trying to shave around it.

I have never grown a goatee specifically, but I did just not shave for a while, and get pretty far toward a full beard. About a month. I would say it would have been presentable within a week or two after than. I probably had enough growth already for the picture you showed. I hate the itching too, and took a solid three weeks plus to go away. Of course, it did not start till about five days in, but that is still 2.5 weeks of dreadful itchiness.

I never tried a goatee. Never understood the concept either though. Seemed like everyone had one in the mid late 90's.

JoAnna,

So I've heard..:rolleyes:

Well, i'm going to give it a shot...it's going to be miserable though because I so enjoy the BBS face in the morning..Already today, my chin & lower lip feel like sandpaper. :mad3:

We'll see if it's worth it

I've had mine more or less since the early 90s. When I shaved it off the last time, SWMBO freaked out and ordered be to stop shaving at once. I'm nothing if not obedient.:001_rolle

I think the time depends on the person. It takes me about a month to have a complete beard and I need to trim it weekly to keep it tidy. I don't remember the itchiness bugging me, but I guess I'm pretty used to it.

Justso said:
how many of you guys here have em? How long does it take on average for a goatee to fill in? I've been toying with the idea of growing a flavor savor, something similar to the Stevie Ray Vaughan/Joe Hachem (see this pic for an illustration)

Problem I have is that I hate the itchy feeling of growing it in for the first week or two. How long does it generally take to get it fully in?

Just curious as to whether or not I'm ready to patient enough :wink:

It really depends so much on your beard. My beard hair is thick and dark and grows rapidly. It looks really full after just a few weeks. On the other hand, my brother's looks patchy even after a couple of months. The itchy feeling goes away after a couple weeks, after which your face will feel normal again. My goatee can be seen in my profile - although its a bit narrower right now.

Orest

Not only does the amount of time for a beard or goatee fill in depend on your beard growth it also depends on what length your going for. For a short and clean-cut beard two weeks and I'm there. For a ZZ Top beard it would be at a rate of around one inch per month.

I keep a goatee becuase I don't want a full beard and if I have just a mustache I end up looking like Sam Elliot, like I have a dead rat under my nose. Plus hair on my chin makes up for a weak chin.

I wore one for MANY years but I felt like I was cheating on you guys as a moderator of this forum, a forum about shaving. I felt so guilty that I shaved it off. I think I like the BBS face, but my face still has some getting used to it. It's been many months since I took it off, but thought I might keep one for the winter and shave it off during the summer. My upper lip gets so hot and sweaty during the summer.

Speaking of winter... I do have to admit the one time I grew a full bead was the winter I had the least problem keeping my face warm. I shaved around late January, thus we still had several cold fronts come through. I though my face was freezing horribly without the warmth of that beard.

i talked to a good friend of mine about growing goatees/soul patches/flavor savers, since we've been teenagers he's had one on & off,

his advice was this...

If it's a guy's first time growing it out, it may take a few times of growing & shaving off to get the fullness needed. Patience is the name of the game. He also echoed what Orest said that after a week or so, the itchiness goes away and your face just surrenders to accepting the fact that there is hair where hair hasn't been growing.

He also said to just let it grow and after you have a week or so's growth on it, THEN start shaping it with the trimmers & razor blade. Don't try & shape it as it grows, otherwise you're likely to tinker with the fullness of it.
But interestingly enough, maybe the best advice was this: make certain that you shampoo it every single day in the shower. Especially for soul patches because it's very near the base of your mouth & is very succeptible to getting food crumbs and such in it and can become sort of a health concern.

FWIW, interesting info

Justso said:
i talked to a good friend of mine about growing goatees/soul patches/flavor savers, since we've been teenagers he's had one on & off,

his advice was this...

If it's a guy's first time growing it out, it may take a few times of growing & shaving off to get the fullness needed. Patience is the name of the game. He also echoed what Orest said that after a week or so, the itchiness goes away and your face just surrenders to accepting the fact that there is hair where hair hasn't been growing.

He also said to just let it grow and after you have a week or so's growth on it, THEN start shaping it with the trimmers & razor blade. Don't try & shape it as it grows, otherwise you're likely to tinker with the fullness of it.
But interestingly enough, maybe the best advice was this: make certain that you shampoo it every single day in the shower. Especially for soul patches because it's very near the base of your mouth & is very succeptible to getting food crumbs and such in it and can become sort of a health concern.

FWIW, interesting info

Excellent advice:thumbup1:. That was pretty much how I managed mine. Although I had to shave mine off a year ago for my job :mad5:.

The picture you linked to isn't really what I'd call a goatee. It is instead usually referred to as a "soul patch". I know, as when I stoped sporting a full beard, full goatee, or full Van Dyke, I switched to a small soul patch. Though mine is more of the Tom Waits style. I don't look good in a moustache and the soul patch is the only other form of facial hair that is compatable with a face mask/gas mask.

I have had my goatee since I guess early 90s.. Cant and wont live without it :smile: A small part of me want to shave it off, just to have more to shave :biggrin: But as my best friend put it "You wouldnt be you without it" So there you go - my beard is here to stay..

As for growing time ... hmm.. I say about 2 weeks for me, too look ok... and thereafter I trim it about once a week.. That is booring stuff to do.. :bored: Cant figure that one out.. I love to shave but get boored beyond sanity trimming my goatee:confused:

Hmm.. guess I lost the thread.. Sorry :001_smile

I grew my goatee in '95 and have had it ever since. Trimming it is easy with a good trimmer. Takes about 30 seconds. I have no issues with using a DE to keep the edges tight.

Randy

Ive had mine for about 9 yrs now.
Grew it as a "reminder" when I left my ex .....

It really never itched, per se, but it does have a different feel than BBS.
I tried to grow a full beard when I was paroled from the Navy but THAT itched!! And I never did get it to look good.

I say...give it a go.
My "Lovie" tells me I can Never shave it off. Go figure. She REALLY likes it a lot.:drool:

Top Bottom