What's new

Goatee Trimming

My goatee is about 1.5" long now and needs to start getting trimmed. In the past I've always warn it shorter and used clippers with a guide to cut it all the same length.

How to others trim their goatee when they wear it longer, clippers, scissors, etc?

I'd like to do it myself, rather then pay someone, but I'm open to what makes it look the best. The main issue is the bottom profile and layering.

Bernie

I prefer the scissors approach. Much easier to add some shape and such that way compared to clippers that just uniform the entire thing.

I've used scissors for the chin for years, and have been using them to trim most of it since I grew out the winter beard. Trimmers even at the longest setting just seems short to me. I just learned through trial and error, and evened it out with the trimmer if I screwed it up to bad. I'm sure there are some good videos on you tube that would help.

I just let mine go wild. My goatee is about 1 foot from the bottom of the chin. The bottom of the 'stache touches above my eyes. And it gets to rough, I just go see a buddy that cuts hair. He does a awesome job trimming which I do like 1 or 2 times a year so it has a shape.

Brush, comb, or tug it out so it sits as it will on a normal day (you know how it looks). From there, use scissors sparingly (you can always cut more, but not less). I avoid cutting too many hairs at once to avoid a chopped look with too straight lines. If I am trying to flatten the bottom I cut at an angle with the tips of the scissors so it looks clean, but natural. Use multiple mirrors to see it from different angles before committing to anything irreversible.
Above all else, remember, it's only hair and will grow back so don't be afraid to try different things out and enjoy the experience.

I comb mine out long as it will go. then use electric trimmers to square it off. Tried the pointed V for a while, did the same thing with that. When I got tired of it I just clipped it short and started again!

I have a cheap electric trimmer with marked guides I, II, III...not sure what the actual length is. I've found it works and keeps it pretty short if I use the III on the goatee and the I on the side burns which I grow to the 3/4 the length of my ears.

Just started to use beard balm (today) and I can immediately see the advice by doc47 to use the balm then comb it would be helpful.

-Stephen

Top Bottom