What's new

Glycerin

I keep reading that some people add a few drops of glycerin to their lather. I assume it is to increase the slickness and make things that much creamier and to allow the razor to glide more? I'm not sure as I am still a novice to wetshaving. I am just wondering which specific Glycerin product(s) you use for this purpose

Vegetable glycerin, you can find it at drugstores or online. Usually made from vegetable oil.

glyc.jpg

According to the NIH, liquid glycerin as a humectant hydrates the outer layer of the skin, improves skin barrier function, provides protection against skin irritants, and accelerates the wound healing process. In brief, it pulls water into the outer layer of your skin from deeper levels of your skin and the air.

At one time I used Uberlather almost exclusively (soap + cream + glycerin) and found that it did wonders for my skin. At that time I bowl lathered and would take the remaining lather and rub it on my face and neck.

That is actually quite genius. Simple and easily doable, yet totally genius.
People have been using glycerin soap like that for decades. Some people use glycerin soap just as a face wash and then follow up with a dedicated pre-shave product, just to go the extra mile.
:001_cool:

You can get a 365 brand glycerin soap at Whole Foods Market for under $2 (they have different varieties like Lavender, Aloe, etc.). There is also a Neutrogena face bar.

People have been using glycerin soap like that for decades. Some people use glycerin soap just as a face wash and then follow up with a dedicated pre-shave product, just to go the extra mile.
:001_cool:

You can get a 365 brand glycerin soap at Whole Foods Market for under $2 (they have different varieties like Lavender, Aloe, etc.). There is also a Neutrogena face bar.

Are you talking about regular soap bars, or products specifically intended for shaving/face use? Is there any difference? When I was younger my parents taught me to clean my face with standard hand bar soap, but I probably wouldn't do that very often nowadays because it can be a bit harsh on the skin

A bar designed for cleaning the face, not regular bath soap.

Our glycerin-rich facial cleansing bar contains no harsh detergents, dyes or hardeners. The mild cleanser removes excess oil and then rinses clean—without leaving any pore-clogging residue. Use it for a gentle cleansing that’ll leave you with clean, clear, healthy-looking skin.
neut-1.jpgneut-2.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Another reason glycerin belongs in your shave den is for adding a few drops to alcohol-only aftershaves - Pinauds, Crusellas, 4711 and other "Colognes," such as Florida Water ...

AA

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
My bottle of Glycerin has an expiration date. Does it really expire? Mine’s expired, lol.
You can always use it to preserve and restore any rubber seals in your automobile. Much better than many commercial products. Google it.

I love glycerin. I dilute it 50/50 with water, and put it in a little 3" tall spray bottle. A few spritzes on my face, and the I face lather.

The term "glycerin" (or "glycerine") applied to a translucent soap is a misnomer.

What primarily makes a soap translucent is the addition of solvent (like alcohol) which inhibits crystallization, thereby allowing light to pass.

Glyce, for example, is moisturizing by virtue of its superfat (castor seed oil, in this case).

Non-translucent soap is available which is every bit as moisturizing (and abundant in glycerin).

The term "glycerin" (or "glycerine") applied to a translucent soap is a misnomer.

What primarily makes a soap translucent is the addition of solvent (like alcohol) which inhibits crystallization, thereby allowing light to pass.

Glyce, for example, is moisturizing by virtue of its superfat (castor seed oil, in this case).

Non-translucent soap is available which is every bit as moisturizing (and abundant in glycerin).

wow! which glycerin soaps are not translucent??

Top Bottom