What's new

Glycerin soaps as preshaves? Does it help?

Love to use Musgo/Ach Brito Glyce puck as preshave soap.
Smear the puck over the whiskers, then face lather.
Rinse lightly.
Hydrates the stubble, prepares the brush and leaves nice slick film over the face.
Perhaps, like it even more than a preshave oil.
And much less expensive than a PSO.
Really any transparent glycerin soap would work.
Try it for yourself and decide!

$art of shaving eucalyptus omega boker glyce july 13 2016.jpg

I've been using Pears in my pre-shave shower lately, but the jury is still out as to whether it improves the shave.
It smells funny though. Rather medicinal.

I do and it's the only preshave product that made a noticeable difference. Used several of these and they all work equally well. Check it out and see what you think.

Preshave?

No.

I just lather my face with Neutrogena Bar soap (w/glycerin) and shave it off. Great for my complexion and amazingly slick. Feather just glides across my face.

I do. It's helpful as I have hard water. I use Grandpa's Pine Tar soap. It's very slick. I palm lather some GPT soap in my hands and apply it to my face. Over that, I brush on my shaving soap or shaving crème. Works for me.

Pears or Neutrogena soap bars on my face while showering, followed by rinsing. I've never really given much thought to lathering on top of it. I can say it softens the beard considerably without the gummy feel of other soap bars...those are for my pits and the "naughty bits".:blushing:

I always add 8-10 drops of vegetable glycerin to any soap or cream I'm using. For me it does seem to make a noticeable difference in the level of slickness and skin protection.

proxy.php

Not me
I just use a facecloth as a hot towel, then lather up, usually with either tallow or glycerin soap
IMHO the quality of the shaving soap or cream used for lathering that is the key to slickness and moisturising
Since I went back to DE shaving 2 years ago and started trying out every shaving soap and cream in sight, (top of the list Arko, Bea, La Toja and Lea) my face has never looked or felt so smooth, healthier or supple
I'll be 47 next month and most of the women I meet think I'm only in my mid 30s

What I have found works really well as a pre shave prep is a small amount of hair conditioner rubbed into the beard...

Then rinse it lightly with a little bit of hot water.... but not completely. Lather up over it. This adds a lot of protection, gives great blade glide...

Products like Alba conditioner or even cheaper conditioners have a lot of oils and glycerin in them already... it works great!

John H.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I've tried it. I've used the Razorock Mr Joe Lime, as well as some all natural generic bar soap. The Razorock bar was neat. Had a cooling and slippery feel. However I don't think it improved my shave much. The only thing that has really made a difference is Mickey Lee preshave butter. And even that has marginal benefit. So I rarely use anything preshave.

I do, and it is the only pre-shave product that has ever noticeably improved my shave.

I do and it's the only preshave product that made a noticeable difference. Used several of these and they all work equally well. Check it out and see what you think.

I do. It's helpful as I have hard water. I use Grandpa's Pine Tar soap. It's very slick. I palm lather some GPT soap in my hands and apply it to my face. Over that, I brush on my shaving soap or shaving crème. Works for me.

I am with these guys. I use straight up vegetable glycerin. Same stuff that is pictured above. I get out of the shower and apply some on. I then go make my coffee while the glycerin works into my skin and then shave. I don't use it to add slickness or anything. It is mostly used as a skin and whisker conditioner. It makes a big difference in my shave. I have been meaning to add a couple drops of Jojoba oil to it to see if that helps also.

I like the black La Toja glycerine soap. I don't know if it's explicitly designed as a preshave but it works for me.

I used them regularly and they seem to make a slight improvement. They help the most when I shave before I shower, because I like to warm up and "loosen" my face. One of the soaps I have is PAA Ice, and it adds a little chill to non-mentholated shave soaps.

I also like the added step in the ritual. Just something else to enjoy during my shave time. I will skip if in a rush and rub in a little shave secret for added measure.

Yep, it has worked well for me.

I enjoy using preshaves for additional protection of my skin but the only real notable difference in preshaves that I have noticed in slickness and closeness of shave is a glycerine based soap. (As much as I like using other preshave creams). Currently have been using Mugso Real GLO soap as a preshave.

To me, its fantastic but of course YMMV. Don't knock it until you try it, though -- you very well may be pleasantly surprised. Cheers!

Last edited:
Top Bottom