What's new

Glycerin soap as a preshave?

Was looking at the musgo glyce preshave soaps and got to wondering if I could use another, cheaper glycerin soap instead, like VdH. Anyone out there tried this?

I haven't tried Musgo but I have used other glycerin soaps for preshave and they seem to do a decent job softening whiskers. As good as anything else I've tried. I've had a couple pucks of "shave soap" that really didn't perform that well for shaving but worked ok as preshave. I usually just rub the puck on my wet face, sort of like a shave stick. Then use wet hands to work it into my beard and let it sit for a couple minutes while I make lather or whatever.

I don't know what you want out of a pre-shave vs a shave soap. I've had best luck with oils as a preshave. Have you tried the Col Conk glycerine soap? The stuff smells amazing and is pretty inexpensive. I use it as a daily shave soap with no special pre-shave and it seems to work well.

I don't know what you want out of a pre-shave vs a shave soap. I've had best luck with oils as a preshave. Have you tried the Col Conk glycerine soap? The stuff smells amazing and is pretty inexpensive. I use it as a daily shave soap with no special pre-shave and it seems to work well.

...something that softens the beard and cleans/preps the face. Proper prep is especially important for me as I don't shower before I shave. Strangely, I always get better results if I shower before I shave.

My preshave routine at the moment is warm water, then noxema, then warm water, then EVOO. I hate menthol and camphor, though, so I am on the hunt for something good but cheap to replace the noxema, which is what first drew me to the musgo glyce product...

I use inexpensive over the counter glycerine soaps for my pre-shave. They work fine.
+1 ... Neutrogena or Pears are good brands, they work just fine. For pre-shave purposes, it need not be a specialized shaving soap. I wash my face and hands with the glycerin soap, rinse, re-apply over the beard, and let it sit while I prep my other gear. Lather right on top of it and then shave.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I use regular bath soap in the shower on my stubble. I rinse it just before I get out.

I suppose any glycerine soap would be similar.
but Musgo really isn't so expensive, works great, and my puck is lasting forever.
(maybe I need to take the wrapper off?!)

Musgo Glycerin soaps are popular as a pre-shave because they contain a lot of glycerin which softens the skin making it supple and softens the beard. I have been using pure glycerin (vegetable) as a pre-shave for a long time and it works very well.

I haven't used the Musgo Real but Razorock preshave glycerin soap works great for me. ItalianBarber sells it for $5. Nice lime scent.

+1 for Clearly Natural. I purchased a dozen large bars at a dollar store. They have high glycerin content and work well.

I use an inexpensive Glycerin soap from Whole Foods. Their 365 brand is excellent and inexpensive ( $ 1.65 ) and lasts a good while.

I use a puck of Ogallala in the shower to wash my face and it works great for me as a pre shave, plus it smells great.

I'm on my second puck of Ach Brito Glyce Lyme, which I'm guessing is awfully similar to Musgo Real. After I'm done, though, I'm trying a cheap glycerin soap for comparison sake. I like the scent and the additional slickness I get from using the pre shave soap. I have discontinued using any preshave oil.

Hmmm... interesting. I think I am going to give the whole foods stuff a try first.

How do you apply it? ...just lather in hands? Or rub soap on face directly?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I just wash my face with it lol I use my hands. No science behind it. Glycerin helps moisturizer the skin, though. Amazing in the winter.

Top Bottom