What's new

Gluing a cracked handle

I've just gotten an awesome ball ended NEW, but it has a bit of a problem. There are cracks at the top and bottom of the handle, and the top of the handle has seperated from the head, making it a 4 piece :lol:.

Two things. Does anyone know of a lightweight filler material I can just fill the handle with to prevent further cracks, and would super glue suffice to put this baby back together again for good, or is there something better to use?

Super glue will work, but epoxy would be better. Be careful when gluing to make sure the head is not attached until it is thoroughly dried. I remember a razor Erwin "repaired" a crack on which was transformed into a very pretty paperweight when the head became permanently one with the handle.

:blink:

Super glue will work, but epoxy would be better. Be careful when gluing to make sure the head is not attached until it is thoroughly dried. I remember a razor Erwin "repaired" a crack on which was transformed into a very pretty paperweight when the head became permanently one with the handle.

:blink:

Oh no I don't want that!!

I guess I'll invest in a tube of epoxy and just fill the handle with it to prevent further cracking without adding too much weight. Thanks.

Oh no I don't want that!!

I guess I'll invest in a tube of epoxy and just fill the handle with it to prevent further cracking without adding too much weight. Thanks.

I'm not sure if I would fill the handle. It may expand a bit if filled and cause more cracking.

AG,
Would JB weld work? I have ball end New that has come apart at the handle/top of the razor. I was thinking of mixing some up, roughing the inside of the handle, applying to the end of the top (?), pushing it into the handle to hopefully push any excess into the handle and not out. Then putting a small hose clamp around the handle to secure until dried. It looks like it has been repaired before, the lettering on the handle is upside down. I tried to pull the ball end out to swap it, but it doesn't want to come out. I stopped before I trashed it. It was a rescue from Iowa, it was covered in green crayon under the head, I think the grandkids were playing with it. :biggrin: I think I paid $2 for it. :wink:

AG,
Would JB weld work? I have ball end New that has come apart at the handle/top of the razor. I was thinking of mixing some up, roughing the inside of the handle, applying to the end of the top (?), pushing it into the handle to hopefully push any excess into the handle and not out. Then putting a small hose clamp around the handle to secure until dried. It looks like it has been repaired before, the lettering on the handle is upside down. I tried to pull the ball end out to swap it, but it doesn't want to come out. I stopped before I trashed it. It was a rescue from Iowa, it was covered in green crayon under the head, I think the grandkids were playing with it. :biggrin: I think I paid $2 for it. :wink:

I'm sure it would hold, but is that stuff clear? Clear epoxy wouldn't show in the existing crack, but other substances may.

I am not sure, if I remember correctly the regular is a dark gray. This is the quick dry, so I am not sure. Any recommendations on a clear epoxy?

I am not sure, if I remember correctly the regular is a dark gray. This is the quick dry, so I am not sure. Any recommendations on a clear epoxy?

Not really. I'd just ask someone knowledgeable at a hardware store. I would assume all clear epoxies are about the same.

I have an old NEW that has cracks in the top and bottom of the handle. I was going to have Bob replate the head and sell me a Bull Mastiff handle. But if I can glue this one, I might try it. Hate to give up on the old one. Maybe Bob has a NEW head he can sell me. I have some epoxy that will work, my only question is the ooze. What is the solvent for wet epoxy?

I have an old NEW that has cracks in the top and bottom of the handle. I was going to have Bob replate the head and sell me a Bull Mastiff handle. But if I can glue this one, I might try it. Hate to give up on the old one. Maybe Bob has a NEW head he can sell me. I have some epoxy that will work, my only question is the ooze. What is the solvent for wet epoxy?

Using a tiny bit should limit ooze. You only want enough to stabilize the handle. But, you should be able to wipe away excess right away before drying begins.

Top Bottom