What's new

Glue/Epoxy for a Knot

I apologize if this question has been asked before, and I am just a simple consumer (so additional apologizes if this should be posted somewhere else). I have a brush handle and a separate shaving knot coming in. I will need to glue them together (obviously). I have read that many prefer the stronger epoxy method, but some also recommend silicone (such as RTV). As a non-expert, would anyone be willing to let me know of the pros/cons of the two-part epoxy vs. silicone? My limited reading suggests that the only real benefit to silicone is that it's easier to remove/replace the knot (which also means, that the 'glue' is less effective/long-lasting).

Fwiw, I'm leaning heavily towards Devcon's epoxy, but I would like to be informed by anyone with real experience before committing. Thanks!

Following up on this, in many ways:

Last edited:
I have both epoxy and silicon set knots. If I make a brush for someone else I epoxy it. For myself I usually use silicon so I can adjust the loft of the knot if I want to latter. I don't have the money to just buy another knot if I want a different loft so I'd rather have mine silicon set. I know others don't feel the same though.

I just recently set one using silicone and I don’t think it will ever come out. If it ever does, I will set it with epoxy next time. I originally went with silicone for the reasons started but the knot ended up perfect right off the bat. Silicone is a lot stronger when set then you realize.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I reused a VDH handle with a new synthetic knot. The original was held in with hot glue. I just used more hot glue for the new knot. Good enough for them, good enough for me. Then, out in the middle of nowhere on a camping trip, my brush fell apart. For the rest of the trip, I lathered up with my fingers. When I got back home, I re-glued the brush with epoxy.

Actually, I think the hot glue would have held all right if I had sealed all around the brush so no water could get into the base.

Consider epoxy permanent, alterations after the fact are likely fatal for either the handle or the knot. With RTV you have a high probability of a redo without destroying something.

^^^THIS if done properly, i.e. slightly roughed and cleaned surface, epoxy components mixed as directed, the knot is never coming out again without destroying either knot or handle which ever you want to keep.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I bought small versions (under US$10) of both Devcon epoxy and RTV silicone. I chose to use the silicone. Part of it is because it's a custom handle. Another part is that this is not for commercial reasons but only personal ones. A larger part is that I didn't trust myself and silicone has room for (my) user error.

I "glued" a knot for the first time this week using silicone adhesive/sealant. Unfortunately, the knot came free as I was drying the brush on a towel while cleaning up. So my next step is to re "glue" the knot with epoxy.
  1. Any advice on the choice of epoxy? I like the short set time for the J-B Weld ClearWeld and the fact that the epoxy is clear, and 3900 PSI sounds strong enough to me.
  2. What happens if I apply too much epoxy and some gets on the bottom of the hairs? Will it dry, crack and fall off?
  3. Would I be crazy to take an old brush that I don't care about apart using the steam method and then re "glue" the knot for practice?
And any advice about removing the old silicone from the plastic button of the knot. I am using a utility knife. Seems to work but is slow going.

jbweld-epoxies.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom