What's new

global_dev straight journal

ouch.. had a rough shave.. not so much the edge, that shaved well as far as i can tell.. my skin reacted poorly to something. 4 variables here, brush burn, Grooming Dept Preshave, Cella, harsh edge. I feel like there might be some effect of Grooming Dept preshave with Cella.I don't recall it ever being that bad though. I can only think of 3 croaps that give me tingle. Only Cella to my understanding has the almond component that most are sensitive.

But the lather was nice, I am not sure the Grooming Department Pre adds anything, maybe i am not using it optimally. a dab (1.5 pea size) on moistened skin, rub it around, let it sit for a bit while i create lather, do my thing..

GD Preshave Lavender - Ingredients: Aloe Vera Juice, Shea Butter, Safflower Oil, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Flaxseed Oil, Sorbitol, Propanediol, Avocado Oil, Sunflower Lecithin, Grapeseed Oil, Allantoin, Methyl Gluceth-20, Castor Oil, Glucomannan (Konjac root), Jojoba Oil, Panthenol, Tocopherols, Carnauba Wax, and Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Lavender Oil, Ylang Ylang Oil.

Directions:

1- Wet your face & hands. The face should be damp (not wet).
2- Apply a pea (maybe a bit more) size of the preshave on your beard and neck areas, rub the preshave in a circular motion for at least one minute, one minute and thirty seconds is more than enough. During this time, add few water drops, but not too much, you don’t want to dilute the preshave, you've added too much water if the preshave begins to bubble, you should let it form a film on your beard and neck areas.

3- You might need to increase the amount of water you use to make lather, Apply shaving soap on top of the preshave and enjoy your shave as usual. The preshave boosts the lather and is now mixed in the brush with the soap.

4- If doing multiple passes, lightly splash water on your face instead of completely removing the soap residue - as intended there are traces of the preshave there and you don’t want to strip it away, it’s good for your skin and will be absorbed.

Shave time around 11PM. Given that my face wasn't feeling great, i quickly did 2 basic passes, some cold water, some Witch Hazel and then some J&E Atkinsons I Coloniali Soothing Aftershave Emulsion with Rhubarb. 6-7 hrs later, this morning my face feels fine, no redness, so my best guess was something of the software aspect.

I also decided to retreat remaining ~6 GD66s to a shoulder treatment (DMT 120> C>F) through fresh bevel on the Chosera 1000, getting rid of the blade face paint and working them through a nice bevel. On most of these, whenever i did it, I had modified the shoulder just enough to get by but i figured why not do it more right, probably could finish it a bit better, but thats probably a don't have anything else to do thing, low on the priorities. maybe a mistake to do all 6 at one time (thought the conveyor belt process would be better, I was wrong).. some of these felt like much harder steel than others, or maybe the DMTs were getting less abrasive or I was getting tired of manually working at such a slow pace.. but they are pretty much done to 1K with a great bevel. I'll likely take all to 8K soon and then see how i feel about what to do with them as far as finishes.

big day, yesterday and today... first off re-learned quite a bit. It's been probably been a while since i jumped back on the honing kick, it probably set off a chain reaction i wasn't paying attention to well enough...
  1. honing 6 GD66s in a row, conveyour belt style is work
  2. I start to cut corners when I am working 6 GD66s in a row that causes me to have to back-track
  3. I can't leave well enough alone when working 6 GD66s and took each one to 10K chosera (3>5>8>10)
  4. Stropping 6 GD66s is kind of a chore too
  5. I could not leave the GD66 spade well enough alone, something was bugging me off the 5K>ZG from yesterdays shave (outside the burn i felt the day before)
  6. So on GD66 spade i went back to chosera 3K,5K,8K, 10K and did about 100 laps on the translucent arkansas until i felt the transition, used only a couple dots of Smiths.
  7. I could see a bit of shade near enough on the tip of the apex which means that something is off... thought it was my stroke.. (I be strokin'... thats what I be doing... sorry;not sorry :tooth:)
  8. Getting back to point 1,2 & 3 and 5 honing for a while, even way beyond last couple of weeks, without lapping the stones is going to cause 6... and then probably 5 (GD66 spade) is probably not the best it could be
  9. Time to lap the stones and see where they are at...
So last Saturday, i had already relapped the 3000. It was clear the 5000 was the worst of the bunch. maybe enough to cause the apex at that level to not be flat from edge of bevel to apex, which then probably throws off everything I did after the 5000. I did some angular gymnastics that I hope helped, but it probably would have been easier to lap the 5000. So i relapped everything on the DMT 120 and finished up with the chosera rubber/nagura to surface condition the faces i use.

and so I thought I am gonna let them dry a bit and take a break from honing..

and I shaved yeserday with the 3K>ZG edge and it was satisfactory, not winning any awards. I tried a dab of cella on my wrist, no burn, and then some on my face and no burn. Next up will be a combo of Grooming Department Preshave + Cella that I feel like may be the thing (i've felt this tingle before with a combo like this), i didn't want to push my luck with them, so I grabbed my snowman synthetic and something neutral, Grooming Dept Janus Tacit, unscented. used less product usual and based on the ok, but not great lather, probably could have used some more as it dried out before I got to finish up. fine shave, no irritiation like the previous day, but the slightest of tingle.. just latent after effects from the previous episode, tiny bit of WH while i clean up, then applied some Myrsol Agua Balsamica followed by some colloidal oatmeal lotion an hour later. It Puts the Lotion on its Skin or else it Gets the Hose :lol:

to keep the healing/moisturizing going, used some beard oil earlier in the day to help heal any latent irritation effects. Today's shave with the GGD66 spade Ark edge gets the participation trophy, nothing special. Same decent shave, not what I am aiming for though. Used The Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe Softening Shaving Cream and the synth again to give my face an easy lathering. That combo is super soft on the skin...wow.. 2 easy passes to minimize any potential further irritation and then some Myrsol Agua Balsamica and some V&R Spicebomb.. good to go..

watched a bunch of ark lapping videos, that then led to watching a knife guy, burrfection, talk about arks, then hone a knife on them, then how he uses pasted strops, and then how he cleans and laps stones.. The cleaning and lapping stones was interesting, he used the medium sabitoru rust erasers and some suehiro naguras on the surfaces. He made it sound like he conditions the hones more often than he laps... I haven't seen anyone really doing that here or with razors, but I coincidentally picked up a rust eraser a couple weeks ago and didn't really know what to do with it.. so I used the eraser on some of the choseras just see what was up. like I said, interesting..

Probably going to put the GDs aside and go into the other stash of razors to enjoy..

Did not appreciate the ege on the GD66 spade yesterday, so i'm just playing around with again now, this morning spent a lot of time on the Hard Ark and then Translucent Ark. A lot of time, didn't have anywhere to go, so i hopefully i didn't spend too much time.

Last night, I ended up with Grelot 151 that had the Translucent Ark edge, still felt beautiful. This steels feels soooo good. But i feel bad tweaking it, when it feels like that.

Used a big sample of Calani Iberian Sun soap, i don't think the scent (orange and cedar?) is there anymore, but it worked really well with the Snowman synth. Fine ASL, on of the vetivers i don't appreciate as much, smells good but both my wife and I think the other one smells way better, and can't ever remember the name. It' almost done though!

yesterdays shave was around 8PM give or take an hour, used Zarahoff soap with epsilon white flat horse hair brush. Showered before the shave.. really nice shave GD66 spade with translucent ark edge off hard ark, but didn't blow my socks off.. I was worried perhaps i didn't go back far enough on the hard ark or maybe not enough...

Finished with Zarahoff ASL. IMO nice scent, nice performance, it feels class, but also a bit more mature than i might want on an everyday, easier scent for me than B&M Beaudelaire. I want to really like Beaudelaire, but my fam isn't so hot on it.

Really decided that it wouldnt hurt to take the GD66 spade back to the Trans and spend a ton more time on it and I believe I was rewarded. Shaved before shower, Epsilon/Shavemac 2 band bulb, Zarahoff again and a wonderful edge, I think it even felt way nicer on the second pass. Felt great, cut great. Zarahoff ASL is super nice.

Just a thought but really worked the edge on the trans to begin with and then lightened up... i hope i didn't push out the metal too far on the edge to make it not last. IIRC this bevel angle is closer to 18 than 16.

enjoyed some new products this last couple of weeks. they’ll slowly show up into the journal.

did no shaving or honing in saturday. Wanted a break and had a long day outside. Walked about 10.5 miles in 2.5 hours around my girls soccer training. Two practices in a row, all in all from 10:30-3:15. I must love my kids to do that + pandemic.

This morning i was contemplating moving on to another razor but i kind of want to see how the GD66 spade translucent ark edge holds up. Decided on a new brush and soap/asl to use, oleo 40 & a VP Leon Hardy Plexi. “F’ng Fab” shave, i def need to get some of the TF FF juice, only smelled a spritz on my wrist and paper in February and really enjoyed it.

proxy.php

I’m not doing well in solving my allergy problem. Sometimes i think its Cella, sometimes the grooming depr preshave, or some combo of them, maybe its slight irritation from the hard ark edge base or too many translucent ark finishing strokes. Could be brush burn. Or a synergistic combo. Yesterdays shave had the slightest feel of this with a combo of the preshave, pens English Fern soap, 2 band/manchu big brush and the ark edge.

regardless, pretty decent shave N-S everwhere. 2 passes. Definitely not an edge that wows and under the loupe or scope, there is no obvious micro issues, maybe the apex was overworked on the translucent. Dont know how many passes on an 8x2 Trans would cause issue. I did recently add another 200-250 or so about 3 shaves or so ago earlier in the week which is when i feel i felt the decline, but not enough data points.

i used a jos. Rodgers on wed and grelot to give a break to the spade and while the edges were better and shave smoother, I definitely felt an allergy, i was thinking brush burn due to trying 2 new brushes out that may need to get broken in better.

@thombrogan i feel the same way, at times i think just go with tried and true, toss the rest, but the demons* get the better of me.. it'll be tough to try to narrow down the culprits for more than a day or 2! i'll try my hardest though.

IIRC the last honing sess of the arks on the GD66 spade was with water, i just decided to give a couple finishing laps off the Trans with smiths honing solution and ended after about 60 laps, i felt a glassy transition around 40 and then once the stiction reoccurred for what i felt was the length the edge, i stopped, which was about 20. hopefully that will be good to go.

* RAD, SBAD, SAD, HAD

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Fingers crossed on the edge. Coming from Western-style Japanese-style kitchen cutlery* and outdoors entertainment knives (knives for when an ax, saw, or power tools is the intelligent choice, but ya just gotta chop!), the whole ‘once the blade is vacuumed to the home, it’s ready’ business scares me.

Finding all my soaps and creams working if I smear Noxzema on before them and finally getting results on my DE I used to only get on the SE with much more expensive blades hasn’t cured my urge to acquire, but helps curb excesses because I know a little more Noxzema or a little more care with pressure or angle will be just as magical. And my synthetic doing everything better than my poor, er, pure badger — including drying so much faster — has helped tons.

*= Take the Japanese name, add the suffix “wa,” and put an oval or octagonal handle on it

I’m sort of familiar with the wa handles, just put more resources into razors.

I dont know how other synthetics rate against the tuxedo knot in the razorock snowman, but my natural knots feel so much better. I wonder if its the knots/brushes i am choosing, the soap/water, or the way I lather. I dont usually have a problem with drying even with the chubby styles, thankfully. Maybe its the water quality and my house humidity levels.

shaved off the newly finished Trans ark edge a bit earlier. It was really really nice edge, smooth, sharp, nothing to complain about. I guess thats the process, get to glass and then full edge feedback.

shaved with
GD66 spade off trans ark
A&E Summer in Paris
VL epsilon/shavemac 2 band bulb
Stirling Tsuka ASL
Creed GIT

i feel like the Summer in Paris and GIT complement each other well enough, the Tsuka is outside that space, used it because nothing else popped in my head at the time and i’m not sure i like the stirling ASLs all that much. Cant tell if its the ingredients or the concentrations.

Wondering also if all the A&E soaps are so scent strong, thankfully the scent changes from jar to lather a bit, but its got an interesting profile.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I dont know how other synthetics rate against the tuxedo knot in the razorock snowman, but my natural knots feel so much better.

My collection was a pure badger from a starter kit and a 30mm synthetic from Maggards. After lots of instant joy from the Maggards and a slight amount of contemplation, the pure badger got yeeted in the rubbish. Curiosity will get the better of me some day. Glad your natural brushes are working for you.

I dont usually have a problem with drying even with the chubby styles, thankfully. Maybe its the water quality and my house humidity levels.

Now that it’s AC weather, only the hard water is to blame.

Wow.. just realized last Friday was my 10 year anniversary using straights. Wish i could say i had a monumental shave, just glad i am doing alright over the last decade. At the beginning i had a 5 and a 1 year old that i was afraid were gonna get their hands on the straight... to their credit they pretty much only showed interest in lathering once in a great while and feeling the knots on their noses over the years.

Date: 7/17/2010
so i logged off B&B for a week so my wallet could take a break while all sorts of goodies were arriving at the front door. I also started a new job and used that opportunity to give straights a chance :w00t:. I picked up a GD108 here. The first time was quite nerve wracking in the beginning, but got some confidence a couple strokes into the shave and the second time was more graceful. Maybe my angles were off, but the shave was more like CCS with some stubble. It took some slight effort to get the blade moving.

i did get some slights non-action cuts, but nothing crazy. I had to put some music on (with the bathroom fan on too) to get the sound of my family drowned out so as to focus...

first attempt 7/17

WTG and XTG

the pics from the first post are still there. Feels like almost yesterday. I had just started a new job deciding to reduce the travel i had been doing for over the prev 10 years.

fast forward to today. I should have been at the second half of a special training that started in march and this last half was postponed and turned virtual.

and this weekend has been brutally hot for the area, but finding time for me and my family to get outside and do 5 miles everyday.

todays shave came right after a mid-day 5 miler. Decided to head back into the NOS CVH nō24s and use no.3 of 6. I had not scoped out the edge, nor tested it, so just crossed my fingers that the visual inspection was good to go. Luckily i was close enough and it was a fine edge, unremarkable but definitely shave ready.

paired the edge with SV 70th, which has a nice sweeter scent, great performance, a big 2 band VP LeonHardy Plexi followed up with some Stirling Royal. actually started the shave with proraso pre/post, but it overtook the first past scent of the 70th and i dont like it with much more than proraso green/white style scents, i guess eucalyptus menthol whatever. second pass i could smell the fruit forward 70th easily. great shave, but like i said not really remarkable.

proxy.php

CVHnō24 #4s edge really looked good to the naked eye and even had a shave-able edge, just not a really good one. Tabac lathered with zenith mixed manch-horse. Hard to believe swapping in the 66spade would be needed but the second pass with the 66spade was great. A small bit of alum lightly rubbed on the skin was perfect and than a dash of Myrsol Agua Balsamico. The alum rub is interesting, i only apply the stone to a small area and then spread the application to the rest of my skin and it seems to work much better than rubbing the stone all over my face. Then cold water to rinse.

Yesterday (Tues) , i crossed my fingers and thought perhaps I could resurrect a great edge on the CVHno24 (4) with the Arks, the edge under the scope (bad batteries) looked OK, i really didn't inspect it that well. I was hoping that i could just get without doing any testing or better inspection. It looked good through the 30x loupe and naked eye, maybe not the greatest, i thought there was a bit of waviness i could see but i attributted it to the reflection off the top of the bevel, not the apex.

Well, it clearly was not successful. the edge was better than the previous attempt, but found lacking. I got through the first pass and decided to stop. The lather was great, Dead Sea soap, VP 800850 (this is too close the calculator joke to be coincidental) and actually slapped on some minimal Dead Sea ASL. It kind of reminds me of a cross between a colonia scent and something like barbasol. I didn't grab another razor, I decided to rework the edge and but hadn't decided how. i took a couple of hrs to think about it, looked around in my "stone room" aka the basement corner and after mulling around some possible options, for sake of ease and novelty, decided to go through a synth progression on Shapton ceramic kuromaku series (1.5,5,8,12). In the past i have used an older 2 and 5, but left those stoned to the side. a quick water spray on the surface, super delicate rolling x strokes for the progression and finished my shave (same kit) the edge was ridiculous. invisible.

took a chance in CVH nō24 #5. Edge looked good to the naked eye, decided to strop it up and decide on whether it was a good idea to introduce additional new variables. I guess now is as good a time as ever, so grabbed the B&M fougere gothique and a hmw brush wsp monarch iirc. Wow, phenomenal shave, this edge was great, just easy and invisible. The soap was nice, the scent really extraordinary and dank green. The ASL starts out a bit alcohol-y but that takes mere moments to transition out.

Notes of lavender, oakmoss, tonka, balsam fir, bergamot, vetiver, geranium, cedar, earth, sandalwood, musk, leather, and tuberose are darkened by the touch of Hell, kissed with the essence of ashes and the smoldering flame.”

dayumn, that was a great shave. I really wonder if the bevel on these nō24s are still oem. Just a thought and curiosity, regardless i used to really dislike ~5/8s size razors. I kind of still dont like them, bit I really like these.

So lots of little observations or discoveries, lately... cella slightly burns me & combined with GD preshave it seems to be worse, a bunch of the high fragrance artisan soaps slightly irritate my face and until recently that number was really low, like 1 back in the first half of 2010-2015 and then one other in 2015-2018, and now i think some of the artisans are just enough to tingle. However, I think my skin is definitely susceptible to brush burn, one or 2 brushes over the last couple of years seems to definitely add to the irritation, and then perhaps add in a testing edge that aint so great and then alcohol amounts in the ASL. I think it's like wonder twins activate type of irritation, on their own, none seem to irritate me, but on occasion they get together and just beat my skin up, FORM OF A RAKE, FORM OF BROKEN SHARDS OF GLASS. ACTIVATE!

proxy.php

and over the last couple days I've tried to isolate one, but i have been kind of unsuccessful in finding the one thing that kills my skin. Add to the fact that I've been outside everyday in the sun (with 50-70 SPF sunscreen) but clearly been getting some color.

And moving on to the next, i spent a bit of the last couple of days, rereading the convex arkansas threads, the superior shave (TSS) videos and "articles" on their site, and one of the recent threads on convex effects on a razor had piqued my interest again; unfortunately the convex arks aren't really super convenient to obtain and I'm torn if I really want to add convexity to my kit. Sitting around daydreaming, i realized i had a hone I don't use much if it all, I kind of wanted to use it as a finishing hone in edge tests, but not dying to use it, have plenty other better finishing hones.. my CNAT!! I remember it to be hard/slow but perhaps soft enough to shape. It definitely takes some willpower to decide to put the resources in to this process without the experience, exposure or dished plate that TSS made. I don't have good flat tiles, a great straight edge/rule, or sic (at all). However i do have diamond plates, sandpaper, digital calipers, a pencil and a popsicle stick. My CNAT is 50x170. I started on the DMT 120 after marking up the stone for some reference points. I am already getting a good feeling that my the depths and marks look good. it isn't until later that I realize how much harder it is to measure/cut this project as i go along.

Here is the first couple of images that I believe show I am making a convex hone.. lol

proxy.php

i found that continuing to mark the stone with some reference lines allowed me to gauge depth and length and change abrasion engagement. I probably should have stopped at this point and moved on to the finer diamonds (hard to tell, in retrospect i am probably wrong, but i'll clear that up later) but in my mind next knowing thats it more spherical i think i need to address the short sides curve and i think this is where I am wrong or maybe really right, but just really difficult to address the way i am doing this. So as I am working the shot sides, I notice that I am getting meridian lines from the corners to the center axis pole (i don't know the real terminology). Upon reflection, i probably should have kept going until the corner meridians met at the center to get a better spherical shape, but i felt like my sagitta was getting much larger than what I thought I read was appropriate for convexed hones. Hard for me to tell, however i think i can choose some reference points again and measure. It's clear that towards the edges it's greater angle than towards the middle 1/2, so probably don't have a sphere but maybe some oblong shape.. and this is where i got a chance to try out some atomas. WOWOW. these are so smooth and great cutting action, I am sorry I waited so long to try them out! really sorry, i just can't believe the action. At this point I can see I have 2 major and mirrored "lines" on the stone, each starts at a corner meets in the middle and then curves back out to the same side opposite corner. Both lines meet in the middle, i tried to work them slightly to blend into the curve, but it's clear they exist and maybe in time with use and slurrying they will fade and fall into the surface. As a CNAT, i've had nice finishing with the flat surface, tried various refined finishes and just kind of settled on ~1200 or 600 or slurried or whatever. it's all gravy, i can tell the difference in feeling, but i enjoy the variety, otherwise how can I really enjoy the really nice ones, if all i ever know is the nicest. BUT it's typically not the classiest finishing stone to have. Now the fun begins, I have decided to try out the hone. I look for a razor to try and of course my eyes find a GD that is unmarked but in "rotation". It must be this one

Wasn't digging the edge of the GD66 done on the arks, it felt kind of soft and left a bit more scruff than I like to see, so I grabbed a Dorko 12 "Wednesday" iirc on a Thursday, very hollow razor and yeah, that edge was sweet. finished out the shave and it was nice. TdH homage CBL soap and Fine ASL, love the scent.

I decided to redo the GD66 and put it on the 8K Snow White until the apex felt sharp, pretty quick, and then went back to the HA. Almost no swarf cut like I saw off the 5K, but definitely striations on the bevel. Followed up with the TA. I am wondering if it's going to be a while for the surface to settle in before I see/feel the ark goodness. I did about ~300 sets on the TA. I am in no rush, and I'm enjoying having something to hone.

I really can't recall if was bad after after the this progression, i feel like i would have not put the razor back into that area, but whatever. i labeled it GDD66 A. I honestly didn't know the speed of my convexed CNAT, i figured it might be faster than nonconvexed based on the concept of localized pressure and decided to just give it 50-100 strokes on water with a tiniest bit of soap, i'd barely call it soapy water. I could not see any water running up the edge, but given the statements that the ballistol/water (1:4) mix was how some folks saw the undercut, i just shrugged it off as low speed and convex characteristics on "water". This was around 11pm last night.. to be honest, I stropped a bit and tried to shave, the first pass was not great, serviceable... didn't want to complete the second pass on the same edge, I wondered if I needed to strop more, so I gave it a lot more stropping and while the edge felt better, i wan't that happy, it gave a nice shave, clear it wasn't an edge I would keep, watched TSS vids to learn how he convexed the stone (finally found the right video around midnight) but I woke feeling like maybe I wasted my time convexing the CNAT... my poor CNAT.. it's odd to care about the CNAT that much, sentimental stone, one of my first naturals, but this morning around quarter to 6am, i grabbed the razor and hone and headed down to look at the edge under a loupe and scope and see what might be going on. honestly i saw a little bit of something here and there, but not much and definitely not along the entire edge.. i think the CNAT honing did little to nothing. I felt like the way to convex wasn't by hand like i did, but the legit shaping on the concave tiles. i don't know when i will get a chance to give that a go, but i feel like that's a better use of my time than wading through the 'bay through the overpriced goods looking for scores. Time to figure out how to start that project, TSS's vid says it took weeks, here and there, to get the saggita he wanted. That's a herculean effort when it comes to instant gratification culture. Like waiting for a ferment.

That's when i decided I would grab CNAT nagura and see if maybe i can address some of the issues, lower the sagitta, smooth out the curved lines, and see if i get some undercut... run downstairs to find it, and boom... i start to see undercut after some laps. It's definitely way too early to be honing, but god damn, it feels good to see a lil something something. exactly the way the undercut is described, only a few mms or so on the edge cutting as i move the blade across the curve, I check the edge under the scope and the bevel and edge looks so good, so much clear and cleaner than it looked earlier under the scope. Unfortunately, can't shave test the edge until later, it's only been 8 hrs since the last shave and want to give a bit more growth than that.. or And then it hits me, I feel like the convexity concept suits my style of honing, i prefer honing on less than 2 inches or so (sides of choseras) and with a slight rolling stroke, this really feels nice. But I don't know that i'd want to convex without a concave plate even with the softer hones. Just really messy and takes a lot of checking...

Last edited:
so i decided to concave one of my nani dresing stones for "maintenance" purposes and followed what i thought would be a good depth, a 26cm OD pot. if i did the math right my dressing stone saggita is 4.324mm over 3 inches, clearly much deeper than the reference hone which is 0.5mm over 12". the thread here describes the reference sag. bluesman did the math for the radius

a .5 mm saggita over 12 " = 76.2' radius

the convexity of my stone is not anywhere near reference, it's lower but closer to the dressing stone which was the OD of a 26cm pot which is closer to a basketball (24cm) than a 76' radius. yeouch.. time to look at some glass plates. i probably did a lot more removal on the CNAT than i needed to. good thing it was relatively "quick".

alright, once last comment before shave test tonite, i quadrant'ed out the CNAT and took a lot of measurements on the stone. I may not be so off in my sag over the majority of the CNAT. if the reference sag is .5mm, i may be very close, not perfect like concave tool perfect, but not bad. my digi caliper measurement resolution isn't great, but it's better than nothing.

points A,B,C,H,I,J,K are at 23.6+/-.5mm
points E,G,F are at 24+/-.5mm

thats "like" a sagitta of ~.4 mm for that marked area! definitely closer than i thought earlier today. I may definitely taking liberties with the definition of a sagitta, however if i take the chords AC and DE, i feel like the depth difference with G of each of those chords is the sagitta. I realize that the radial plane of HI, or JK Are not in the same as the others, but it's close across the width, hopefully good to go. :tooth:

edit: once again, i feel like I am making an error, the sagitta is " the displacement or deflection of the highest point of the arc from the mid point of the chord", if my chords are AC, DE then my sag should be .4mm, right? the chord is ~71mm, the sag is .4mm, then the radius of the arc is 5' (the more is try to explain/clarify, the more confused i get.) thats way more than the basketball.

proxy.php

Last edited:
reading some of the convex 8x3 thread and came across this post

The quote that I took home was 'The sword shapes the stone, while the stone shapes the sword, and the two together shape the person' paraphrased. This was in reference to Japanese katanas polished in the traditional way and the meditative properties of the practice

I was feeling this the other day honing up the CVHno24 #4

In the past i have used an older 2 and 5, but left those stoned to the side. a quick water spray on the surface, super delicate rolling x strokes for the progression and finished my shave (same kit) the edge was ridiculous. invisible.

Top Bottom