What's new

Global Shave Club....Beware....

If you are new to shaving, it is imposible to judge these reviews (YT).
Now if you have been shaving and like certain items, then you watch videos and find someone that agrees with some of the product you already like, then when they try something different, you may take their opinion serious.

But today; YT, FB and other sites are just like magazine adverts were in my time....it's pure marketing. Just pay attention to those that always have only positive things to say.
I think we get a feeling for people....I watch some videos and really couldn't trust so many people that I consider shills. I just feel sorry for the newbies that waste their money based on those review.

I did waste my money buying a few highly recommended razors and blades....those now are in a box where the sun doesn't shine; and slightly resent the fact that I fell for the false advertising. I had no family member nor friends to ask about wet shaving.... , all are/were electric or cartridge and no one enjoyed it.

But we seem to be deviating from the discussion topic.... I just bought a Pearl razor and it looks very similar to Global Shave Club, but it costs 1/5th.

@RayClem @THall - I am not saying that reviewers play no role, just posing the question: How does someone know which reviewers to follow if they haven't zeroed in on their own specific criteria - wants and needs - for particular product types? If you have no experience, how do you get the experience without actually buying and trying?

One area where I do pay attention to reviewers is movies: If the critics really like a particular movie, I will usually avoid it. ;) 🤣

You are absolutely correct in asserting that you need to determine you own specific criteria. However, by reading and watching reviews done by others, you can learn some of the things to watch for. For example, in evaluating soaps, I never realized the importance of residual slickness until a reviewer mentioned the term and explained the significance. This is a critical factor for anyone with sensitive skin. That is now one of the criteria I look for when evaluating shaving soaps and creams. Many of the soaps I used years ago lack some of the qualities I so appreciate in the soaps I use today. However, back when I started using them, I was OK with the performance because I did not know there was anything better.

Because people lack experience, they often end up using things like multi-blade cartridge razors and canned shave gel because those products are found everywhere, so the must be the best, right? Maybe not. If nobody suggests alternatives, they may go their entire lives using the products they started with and never find anything better. One of the things we do in shaving forums is educate people to the alternatives. Ultimately, they will have to select the alternatives that work best for them, even if it ends up being the cartridge razor and gel.

People were quite satisfied with oil lamps and candles until Edison invented the incandescent light bulb. We were happy with that invention for a century until more energy efficient lighting became available. If you never read a review of an LED bulb, would you have ever purchased one before incandescent bulbs disappeared from the shelves.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
You are absolutely correct in asserting that you need to determine you own specific criteria. However, by reading and watching reviews done by others, you can learn some of the things to watch for. For example, in evaluating soaps, I never realized the importance of residual slickness until a reviewer mentioned the term and explained the significance. This is a critical factor for anyone with sensitive skin. That is now one of the criteria I look for when evaluating shaving soaps and creams. Many of the soaps I used years ago lack some of the qualities I so appreciate in the soaps I use today. However, back when I started using them, I was OK with the performance because I did not know there was anything better.

Because people lack experience, they often end up using things like multi-blade cartridge razors and canned shave gel because those products are found everywhere, so the must be the best, right? Maybe not. If nobody suggests alternatives, they may go their entire lives using the products they started with and never find anything better. One of the things we do in shaving forums is educate people to the alternatives. Ultimately, they will have to select the alternatives that work best for them, even if it ends up being the cartridge razor and gel.

People were quite satisfied with oil lamps and candles until Edison invented the incandescent light bulb. We were happy with that invention for a century until more energy efficient lighting became available. If you never read a review of an LED bulb, would you have ever purchased one before incandescent bulbs disappeared from the shelves.

B&B is a wonderful resource to inform and educate new shaving enthusiasts. The information freely offered by the experienced members of the B&B Community certainly helped me better understand the 'how and why' of the various components of the shave.

We view the role commercial reviewers play differently - and that's fine. I maintain, especially where soaps and fragrances are concerned, that I don't know how a particular scent will react with my individual body chemistry until I try it for myself. That's where samples and physical stores play a valuable role.

Agree or not regarding the subject at hand, I respect your viewpoints and appreciate the knowledge you share.

Just my opinions..... :)

I have ordered Fatguy from Global Shave Club which is the replica of Fatboy of Gillette.

And I suddenly had to cancel the order due to my private situation and emailed Sheldon, the CEO of GSC, explaining that I had to do it and wanted him to refund.

Several days later he replied that he was sorry and understood my disappointment due to the delay. Adding that the delivery would start on the first week of Nov, he asked me to hang in there.

I noticed that I didn't mention the reason, which made him misunderstand, so I replied that my request wasn't due to the item and was due to my private urgent situation.

After that, I have never got any replies from him.

emailed him a few more times but got no response

Today I left a message on the website of GSC and will wait for the reply.

I don't understand why the customer service is not fully operating in the company.

I strongly believe it has its own employees for the job of the cs but it seems that he manages all the emails the company get.

big companies don't ignore what their customers say even if they complain things.

Is there anyone else who has similar experiences to mine?

Don't they usually answer emails that much?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Is there a stated refund policy from GSC to address this situation? I'm not sure, as I have not researched this yet.

Have you placed a dispute with your credit card company (or PayPal if you used them)?

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have thought of purchasing from GSC however after reading this I don't think I will bother. As usual the members of B&B provide an unbiased review and unlike YT you can hear the good and bad experiences where let's face it the experience of the average person will be different to a YouTuber with thousands of followers

I had an experience with GSC several years ago. I spent a whopping $9 for a plastic SE razor and blades which I never got after several weeks. Attempled to this character and he never replied. After a month put in a refund request with Paypal and after 10 days he replied apologizing and offering to send me the razor plus extra items. So I waited another couple of weeks and received nothing. Within another week Paypal issued me a full refund. To date I still get their emails but it goes into my spam. Incredible he is still in business.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have zero affiliation with GSC or any of the folks who own or work for GSC. Just a customer.

I have purchased Black Tiger, Sumatra and RepliTech razors from GSC directly and from their eBay listings without any issues. My emails have been answered when I've sent questions - directly and through eBay.

Never had to return a product or request a refund, nor have I done a pre-release purchase or purchased any of their higher priced stuff so I can't comment on their level of service in these situations.

Whether folks do or do not do business with GSC is none of my concern. Each to their own. I'm just conveying the experiences I have had.

As I stated to @BrianHH, my suggestion in situations where a vendor has not delivered and is not responsive is to place a claim with PayPal or your credit card company and let them take it from there.

That's my opinion and YMMV.

Last edited:
I had bought one if their razors a year or so ago. Razor arrived quickly but had a manufacturing defect. Sheldon replied quickly promising to send me a replacement. It never arrived. After waiting for about a month, I started emailing him again. Not the best at returning emails. Eventually I was able to get ahold of him and surprisingly received a replacement. I don't know if he's just bitten off more than he can chew, or if he is just unorganized and forgetful. I wish you the best of luck in obtaining your refund. What you're dealing with seems common for GSC from what I've read.

I have ordered Fatguy from Global Shave Club which is the replica of Fatboy of Gillette.

And I suddenly had to cancel the order due to my private situation and emailed Sheldon, the CEO of GSC, explaining that I had to do it and wanted him to refund.

Several days later he replied that he was sorry and understood my disappointment due to the delay. Adding that the delivery would start on the first week of Nov, he asked me to hang in there.

I noticed that I didn't mention the reason, which made him misunderstand, so I replied that my request wasn't due to the item and was due to my private urgent situation.

After that, I have never got any replies from him.

emailed him a few more times but got no response

Today I left a message on the website of GSC and will wait for the reply.

I don't understand why the customer service is not fully operating in the company.

I strongly believe it has its own employees for the job of the cs but it seems that he manages all the emails the company get.

big companies don't ignore what their customers say even if they complain things.

Is there anyone else who has similar experiences to mine?

Don't they usually answer emails that much?
I tried canceling mine too and he gave the same "hang in there" reply. Then it "shipped" on Nov 11 but it's still been in "the post office is awaiting your item" status since then.

I would recommend staying away from this company. A lot of youtubers give glowing reviews of this but to each their own. It's funny how all the youtubers got their razors but absolutely zero of the rest of us have received theirs. I can't cancel my order because it's "shipped". If anyone really wants one, keep an eye out on the bay because I'm gonna dump the thing like it's hot without ever opening it as soon as I get it (if I ever get it). Probably even willing to take a loss on it.

I tried canceling mine too and he gave the same "hang in there" reply. Then it "shipped" on Nov 11 but it's still been in "the post office is awaiting your item" status since then.

I would recommend staying away from this company. A lot of youtubers give glowing reviews of this but to each their own. It's funny how all the youtubers got their razors but absolutely zero of the rest of us have received theirs. I can't cancel my order because it's "shipped". If anyone really wants one, keep an eye out on the bay because I'm gonna dump the thing like it's hot without ever opening it as soon as I get it (if I ever get it). Probably even willing to take a loss on it.
I did receive mine (not a youtuber). It's decent, but not great. I feel it was worth the early backing price, but nowhere near the $100-$150 they're asking for it now. It will never replace the real thing, but if you've never used the real thing this would be a fine razor.

I finally got mine today. Seems like it has kind of loose tolerances. There's a big blemish under the 2 1/2 setting. Also it's very hard to adjust past the 5 setting in both directions. I couldn't actually turn it with wet hands. I had to grab it with a towel. All the other number though are very loose and it almost twists on its own when its not locked down. Maybe that's the way the real fatboy is. I don't know.

This one will join my other pile of failed razors that I throw in an old dopp kit in my linen closet. I'll just stick with my 6s and my game changer and get that Rex ambassador the next time it goes on sale.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Maybe that's the way the real fatboy is. I don't know.
I do not care for the Gillette Fatboy, I think it is an over rated, over priced , clumsy sledge hammer. But it is also a well engineered and well made razor which has lasted the test of time and will outlive us both. I suggest you try one if you can and forget all about replicas 👍

Pics for proof. Some are petty but the uneven blade gap from left to right is a hard no. No way I'm putting that across my face.

The rest are little dings, pits, and paint mistakes. I would expect those on a cheap razor but not a $100+ one. The uneven blade gap reminds me of the videos on the pearl razor that have been going around youtube.

Attachments

• fatguy1.jpg
    fatguy1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 32
  • fatguy2.jpg
    fatguy2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 30
  • fatguy3.jpg
    fatguy3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 32
  • fatguy4.jpg
    fatguy4.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 32
Pics for proof. Some are petty but the uneven blade gap from left to right is a hard no. No way I'm putting that across my face.

The rest are little dings, pits, and paint mistakes. I would expect those on a cheap razor but not a $100+ one. The uneven blade gap reminds me of the videos on the pearl razor that have been going around youtube.
Yeesh... did you happen to try the spring "work-in" fix that was suggested for the Pearl adjustable? Won't fix the other stuff obviously, but it sounds like GSC is not being helpful in the customer service department with these so you're probably on your own.
I can imagine that has to be frustrating, sorry man!

I just saw Kevy Shaves showing off some Java something or other razor from this company and was curious enough to check the site out...and it's just terrible 🤣 the link to the razor in question instead took me to a "black tiger" razor which looks like a cheap turd. I have to be frank on this; outside of things such as a lather bowl I will never ever EVER buy Chinese for shave products, and I wish Youtubers would stop advertising/using such garbage themselves

Time for another horror story involving this company. I purchased the ICE razor fromn his site, in gold, seduced by the YouTube Sensational reviews and the promise of a stainless steel razor. When I received it, I have to say, it looked exceptional. It's your standard EJ De89 head, nothing fancy, but the finish, heft, and overall looks, made it seem like a great buy. That lasted about four shaves. Then I started noticing that the "gold" plating on the head simply started flaking off like bad paint. It exposed the brass underneath, and it now looked like a camouflage pattern, really crappy. Mind you, I had paid extra for the gold plating. So I email the website directly. No reply. I then go onto the YouTube channels that promoted this razor, and start leaving comments. They reply that they don't have any issue with it, and even did an extra video to sort of prove it. In a few days however, I get an email from another name, in reply to my site email. He says that it's a well built razor, but I just happen to get one of only two from a bad batch that were sold. Offers to send me the razor in chrome, which he does. Only one problem. The chrome one has a crooked head. It literally does not sit perpendicular to the handle, it sits crooked. Well, lesson learned. The hard way. I sucked up the 45 dollars. My thoughts on this? It's just a scam. Period! A rebranding of ultra cheap Chinese crap, and lots of hype, fed by the YouTube guys who get the razors for free. Mind you, he was hawking the Yintal razor this week as the "Java Latte made of Noble Brass". It's a zamak head razor that sells for 10 bucks on aliexpress. It's a good razor, but nothing Noble about it.

I posted earlier in the thread about poor delivery times from GSC. I also said that I was quite pleased with the JFK Tech model I had bought. I no longer own that razor.

Why?

I bought a genuine, unused, 1955 gold plated Tech from a well known seller on eBay. It took a week and a half to get to the UK from the US, and I enjoyed some interesting razor chat with the seller.

I popped in a new Feather blade and had a sublime, smooth shave. I swapped the blade out for a side by side with the GSC JFK, it was night and day. The Gillette had none of the unpleasant blade feel or scratchiness. I cleaned the GSC Tech and sold it for £15, which is probably all it's worth.

I'd ask anyone considering buying from GSC, why buy a cheaply made, over-priced copy when well made genuine models exist, often for less money?

That's the lesson I've learned.

Top Bottom