What's new

Global Shave Club....Beware....

I ran across the Global Shave Club site a few months ago. I liked some of their stuff, from the pictures, anyway. I ordered a Black Tiger razor and some shave oil. The shipping was very expensive compared to other places. I got an email a week later saying that my order would come in 2 shipments. about 10 days later, my Black Tiger arrived. It was broken, with the head snapped off and the threaded shaft broke off inside the handle...unrepairable and useless. I never received the shave oil.

I sent 6 messages through their message system with no response. Finally, through a link on a YouTube video, I was able to text one of the Higher Ups in the company. He said he would take care of it. 3 weeks later, I received a Replitech JFK razor, which was pretty, but not what I ordered. And I still never received the shave oil. The JFK is a cheap copy of a 1960s Gillette Tech. I have 2 real 1956 Gillette Techs, so I had no need for a copy. I texted the person again, and he acted like I did something wrong, and, "What can I do to make you happy". " We've sold hundreds of these with no complaints". Dumb question. Just send me what I paid for. All the others probably;y ordered the JFKs. I didn't. He said he would send me a replacement Black Tiger and the oil. I offered to send the JFK back, but he said to keep it. It was a mistake. It has now been over 2 months, and no Black Tiger or oil. I guess I am out the $30.00 I paid, and I am stuck with a razor I did not ask for.

Anyone else have any trouble with these people? Or did they just single me out for some reason. I absolutely do not recommend buying anything from this company. Do it at your own risk.

Contact your credit card company. It is a last ditch type of option. I think you gave them more than enough time to get things right.

I was drawn to GSC a while back over some clones (Even posted about it) and plans to clone some old Gillettes but when some of these were finally released, they weren’t all stainless but had zamack parts etc.

Just get a Tech clone elsewhere, no different. Cheaper too. The Black Tiger is on Aliexpress I believe.

They have had a replica Fatboy release getting pushed back for over a year now. Don’t think ultimately it will not be a replica but some adjustable we’ve all seen before available on Aliexpress.

There are too many excellent vendors who provide good products and good service at reasonable prices to mess with some of those who don't. The Global Shave Club web site portrays itself as a first-rate vendor, but you certainly did not have a first-rate experience. They advertise a lifetime manufacturing warranty against defects, but won't even honor a claim for a razor received in unusable condition. Was there any evidence that the razor was not packaged suitably? Was there any evidence of damage to the package in which it was shipped?

This is an appropriate and timely thread, as I’ve just had a rather disappointing experience with Global Shave Club.

Last year I sought to purchase a Gillette Tech and had considered many examples on eBay. Nothing seemed quite right, either in terms of condition, being accompanied by accessories I didn’t need, or being located in the US - so shipping would've cost more than the razor. I was also slightly uneasy about buying a used razor. So after some research, I decided to order a pair of Replitecs from GSC. I ordered both the standard and the gold plated JFK models. I received my shipping notice via email, on the 8th December 2019.

I was given an Ascendia tracking number which I believe operates in GSC’s home country of Canada. This tracking number didn’t work for about two weeks and I had to contact Sheldon for assistance. He wasn’t really interested in helping, also saying that his wife was ill. I was sorry to hear that and asked him to forget it. Three weeks after the dispatch notice, the Ascendia tracking number started working and redirected me to a USPS tracking site.

Spool forward to January 9th 2020 and USPS shipped the package to Heathrow. There it sat in limbo, caught between USPS and the Royal Mail. After two and a half weeks, I contacted Royal Mail who said I should contact USPS as it wasn’t in their system. I tried to speak to USPS but they will only assist US residents. So I again contacted GSC to see if they could assist. I was basically told to be patient, as they very rarely lost packages. I again had the feeling that GSC weren't that bothered helping. Finally on January 29th I received Royal Mail info and once I’d paid the inevitable customs charges, took delivery today, the 1st February 2020. That’s 54 days since I received notice of shipping.

I’m aware that I paid a lowly $7.50 for Canadian Flat Rate shipping and that both Christmas and New Year intervened to hamper delivery - but by any mark 54 days is painfully slow. I know it’s not entirely GSC’s fault that it took so long but it was a painful wait and GSC could have been more helpful. So long was the wait, that in the meantime I saw and bought a NOS 1960s ball end tech on eBay.

That’s just as well because when I opened my package from GSC I didn’t find a standard and a JFK gold plated model, as ordered!

Instead I had two JKFs! One was in the correct tin, the other in a standard tin, without the certificate. I’m treating that as compensation for the wait and lack of interest at GSC. :)

To be as fair as possible, the razor shaves very nicely indeed, being heavier than a genuine Tech. The gold plating is very well done. The delay was not entirely GSC’s fault and family illness may have meant my questions were of less importance than usual. However I thought I would post this to alert UK buyers especially, to the loooooong delays you can expect ordering from them using flat shipping rates. Your order may not arrive as expected and it was a bit of a struggle to engage their attention when I asked questions.

Would I order from them again. I think you can deduce my answer.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
This is an appropriate and timely thread, as I’ve just had a rather disappointing experience with Global Shave Club.

Last year I sought to purchase a Gillette Tech and had considered many examples on eBay. Nothing seemed quite right, either in terms of condition, being accompanied by accessories I didn’t need, or being located in the US - so shipping would've cost more than the razor. I was also slightly uneasy about buying a used razor. So after some research, I decided to order a pair of Replitecs from GSC. I ordered both the standard and the gold plated JFK models. I received my shipping notice via email, on the 8th December 2019.

I was given an Ascendia tracking number which I believe operates in GSC’s home country of Canada. This tracking number didn’t work for about two weeks and I had to contact Sheldon for assistance. He wasn’t really interested in helping, also saying that his wife was ill. I was sorry to hear that and asked him to forget it. Three weeks after the dispatch notice, the Ascendia tracking number started working and redirected me to a USPS tracking site.

Spool forward to January 9th 2020 and USPS shipped the package to Heathrow. There it sat in limbo, caught between USPS and the Royal Mail. After two and a half weeks, I contacted Royal Mail who said I should contact USPS as it wasn’t in their system. I tried to speak to USPS but they will only assist US residents. So I again contacted GSC to see if they could assist. I was basically told to be patient, as they very rarely lost packages. I again had the feeling that GSC weren't that bothered helping. Finally on January 29th I received Royal Mail info and once I’d paid the inevitable customs charges, took delivery today, the 1st February 2020. That’s 54 days since I received notice of shipping.

I’m aware that I paid a lowly $7.50 for Canadian Flat Rate shipping and that both Christmas and New Year intervened to hamper delivery - but by any mark 54 days is painfully slow. I know it’s not entirely GSC’s fault that it took so long but it was a painful wait and GSC could have been more helpful. So long was the wait, that in the meantime I saw and bought a NOS 1960s ball end tech on eBay.

That’s just as well because when I opened my package from GSC I didn’t find a standard and a JFK gold plated model, as ordered!

Instead I had two JKFs! One was in the correct tin, the other in a standard tin, without the certificate. I’m treating that as compensation for the wait and lack of interest at GSC. :)

To be as fair as possible, the razor shaves very nicely indeed, being heavier than a genuine Tech. The gold plating is very well done. The delay was not entirely GSC’s fault and family illness may have meant my questions were of less importance than usual. However I thought I would post this to alert UK buyers especially, to the loooooong delays you can expect ordering from them using flat shipping rates. Your order may not arrive as expected and it was a bit of a struggle to engage their attention when I asked questions.

Would I order from them again. I think you can deduce my answer.
They seem to have no problem shipping any copy of a razor off to YouTube shaver's

Global shave club seems like a vendor selling rebranded razors. I don't get much trust from their practices and although many youtube shavers use their products, I don't get a sense that it's decent. I'd stay away from them.

Sorry for your experiences. In my view, they seem to buy bundles of products that are already on AliExpress and just put an inkjet printed stamp on them. IE. Some cases are generic Altoids copies and their Aftershaves came in cheap Stainless Steel liquor flasks... Just sum up and make the math...

Cheers

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
They seem to have no problem shipping any copy of a razor off to YouTube shaver's
Without naming names, most of the YouTube shavers that I used to watch seem of late to be little more than advertorials. "Here is a razor sent to me by the good folks at......" and "here is a cheap Chinese brush with my name on it". I guess it is inevitable when enough subscribers are signed up but it is disappointing and I have unsubscribed from them all. They have done more to generate interest in traditional shaving than me so it is hard to be too critical.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I purchased the original Black Tiger, the Sumatra and the Replitech for the "Tech Clone Wars" thread. All arrived in a reasonable, albeit a bit long, timeframe and in perfect condition. I subsequently bought extra Sumatra and Black Tiger razors with the same experience.

Have not ordered anything from them in some time.

If you peruse the aforementioned "Tech Clone Wars" thread, there were several folks who ordered from GSC with various experiences:

I don't have any idea why their service has declined as described.

No affiliation or connection whatsoever with GSC. Paid full price and shipping for every item I've purchased from them.

Just my personal experiences and YMMV.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Without naming names, most of the YouTube shavers that I used to watch seem of late to be little more than advertorials. "Here is a razor sent to me by the good folks at......" and "here is a cheap Chinese brush with my name on it". I guess it is inevitable when enough subscribers are signed up but it is disappointing and I have unsubscribed from them all. They have done more to generate interest in traditional shaving than me so it is hard to be too critical.
I have actually made a couple of good friends out of the YouTubers.
It's not that they get stuff to show us from many companies but the amount of stuff that GSC sends . I actually brought it up to one of the YouTube guy's and told him it was like watching a TV commercial , he kinda blew me off and said that he has to show what people want to see. I don't watch him anymore.

I generally find it helpful when YouTubers show the latest releases. Of course it makes sense for companies like GSC to send influencers their products. One then has to rely on one's own judgement that the shown product is worthy of purchase, especially if the reviewer is not always offering a critical review.

It would be good to see more YouTubers in the shaving world adopt the approach taken by Nick Shabazz, make it clear that the item has been provided by the producer and then review as objectively as possible. That helps prospective buyers as well as producers, who can obtain feedback to improve their products.

Sent from my POT-LX1T using Tapatalk

Pulled this pic off their site. Is it me or is the top cap and guard off by several millimeters? No thanks...
proxy.php

.... I actually brought it up to one of the YouTube guy's and told him it was like watching a TV commercial , he kinda blew me off and said that he has to show what people want to see. I don't watch him anymore.

I really do not like people like this. They have the popularity because of people like us and then turn around and stick their nose in the air when we give some criticism.

Who is it? I would not not want to watch that channel either and if enough people have the same feeling, the issue will correct itself.

This is a two way street.

I have differing feelings about them. Sheldon seems difficult to get ahold of, and unreliable. I purchased a r41+ about six months ago in the silver version, and was not very happy about the quality. The handle was glued together and you could still see remnants of the glue on the end. There was a very noticable seam along the handle, and the head casting looked messy. The blade did not align correctly without a bit of manual adjustment. I emailed sheldon offering to purchase the rose gold handle since the silver one bugged me so much. He gave me a price and told me he could swap one off a new razor to send me. I did not receive a reply pertaining to the payment method. I emailed him again a few weeks later and he replied saying it would be sent the week after, with no mention of payment. The handle never arrived. That was my first impression of his customer service, unreliable at best. A month later I emailed him pictures of the razor with the blade alignment problems. He quickly replied and sent me a replacement in rose gold, which arrived in good condition in a timely manor.

Every one and their cousins...and all get on their knees and praise it..... I find it repulsive and wonder how many people spend their hard earned money on some propaganda..... Some youtubers are great and will say the truth others just always say: oh boy, oh boy, this is gr8......

I have actually made a couple of good friends out of the YouTubers.
It's not that they get stuff to show us from many companies but the amount of stuff that GSC sends . I actually brought it up to one of the YouTube guy's and told him it was like watching a TV commercial , he kinda blew me off and said that he has to show what people want to see. I don't watch him anymore.

Interesting. I skip You Tube reviews of the GSC products as it is just complete overload. And I doubt people are clamoring for these totally original (tic) GSC products!

Top Bottom