What's new

Gloat - son’s first shave!

Decided it was time to teach my 15yo son to shave this week - my wife had insisted I get him an electric (ugh now that I know better).

Fortunately he was somewhat interested in my safety razors so I grabbed a Rockwell 6s and we started. Started with an Astra blade and plate #1 but we quickly realized it wasn’t doing anything…switched to a 3 and he did great. Not a scratch on him, and we’ve now gone shopping for a nice shave brush (he picked one from Elite Razors) and next will be a bowl and his own razor.

For whatever reason my dad handed me an electric and said go and I didn’t want to do the same to him. He can choose it if he wants…but he seems to be into wet shaving. So far so good!

Decided it was time to teach my 15yo son to shave this week - my wife had insisted I get him an electric (ugh now that I know better).

Fortunately he was somewhat interested in my safety razors so I grabbed a Rockwell 6s and we started. Started with an Astra blade and plate #1 but we quickly realized it wasn’t doing anything…switched to a 3 and he did great. Not a scratch on him, and we’ve now gone shopping for a nice shave brush (he picked one from Elite Razors) and next will be a bowl and his own razor.

For whatever reason my dad handed me an electric and said go and I didn’t want to do the same to him. He can choose it if he wants…but he seems to be into wet shaving. So far so good!

Good for you!
Even if he decides to go another route down the road - he will always have that memory.

Fantastic! Can’t wait to show my son but I’ve got another three years probably. Ya my dad did the electric thing as long as I can remember. And I think it was me who decided I needed to start shaving. The only thing I saw was whatever TV commercials were on at the time and they were mostly disposable. I thought those old school safety razors I would sometimes see in movies were like from the 1800 🤣. Anyway, great story and a great memory you created for him even if he “strays” 👌😁👍🏼

Nice. I wish I had that memory. My dad never taught me to shave. I was given a Gillette atra, some canned goo and off I went.

I have two sons and will definitely be teaching them to wet shave when the time comes.....but that's many years down the road.

You’re a good dad for not just throwing a razor at him and telling him to go. I wish my dad had taken an interest in my shaving.

Good for you!!! Hopefully it will be a memory for him just as we have our own memories of learning to shave with dad.

My fondest memories are of watching dad shave when I was really young, maybe 4 or 5. For myself, learning was essentially just go for Mom was the on who said I should get a razor (probably intending electric) to which I said I'll said I'll just use dad's. His only instruction was to dial it down (an adjustable Fatboy) because I'll tear my face up. He always kept it on 9 saying his face was like leather.

My son has no interest in shaving and has to be hounded to even use an electric razor on his meagre fuzz. Sadly he seems very inept at using the thing. He can do multivariable calculus yet still can figure out how to effectively use an electric razor. Heavy sigh...

Great job Dad!!!
Even if he is drawn to the “dark side”, the memories of learning to shave with Dad will always remain.
Let him try out all of your gear. He may just be one of the very few lucky ones to that get to stay with traditional wet shaving.

Top Bottom