What's new

Glenfiddich any good?

Hey

I was wondering if Glenfiddich scotch is any good? How does the 12 year old differ from the 15?

Thats like asking if pigs love to roll around in the mud!

YES...a thousand times YES brother. Get either and you will not be dissapointed...naturally, the older the better and YMMV all apply.

Mmm...Talisker.

But, truth be told, Glenfiddich is probably cheaper and easier to find than the "peaty T"

I too would prefer Talisker.

I guess I should have asked if you're looking for a "starter" whisky or if you are a more refined Scotch drinker who can discern the difference.

I ask because it took me a bit. After awhile, you get to tell different flavors and scents pretty quickly.

GlenFiddich is good.

There are better.

That is a perfect statement. I think Glenfiddich is the starter malt. Then Glenlivet, Macallan and Balvenie. I dont think you would ever be disappointed with any product from any of the above. I enjoyed a bottle of the Glenfiddich Solera a couple of years ago...it was a lot like a Balvenie offering, light but with more complexity than you might expect due to the multiple woods in the aging.

Well, I'm just starting out in scotch. I tried some glenlivet once, 12 years old, and it just didn't do it for me. It seemed lacking in flavor.

I bought a bottle of glenfiddich today that I'll try out tommorrow night. It's also only 12 years old but ti was only $30 so I figured it's worth a shot.

Well, I'm just starting out in scotch. I tried some glenlivet once, 12 years old, and it just didn't do it for me. It seemed lacking in flavor.

I bought a bottle of glenfiddich today that I'll try out tommorrow night. It's also only 12 years old but ti was only $30 so I figured it's worth a shot.

I think you will find it similar to the Glenlivet, they are both Speysides. If you want to stretch out, you need to either try older scotches, different regions (that is where the real differences come out), or different aging treatments.

Try a highland...I like Oban. Then an Isaly, for starters go with a young Bowmore. After that give Laphroaig, Lagavulin or Ardbeg a try. You will then be able to fully distinguish what it is you like in a malt.

Yes, it's perfectly good stuff. Gets a bad rap because it's available everywhere, but if it weren't for the success of 'fiddich we would only have but the barest fraction of today's single malts available to us.

My favorite is the 15 (which I wouldn't necessarily call a "starter" malt, just a GOOD one, quite unique amongst the line), there's generally an open bottle on my bar regardless of whatever else I happen to be drinking as well (can be had around $30 depending on where you live, great deal for a great dram.) The 18's nice too, but a different beast than the 15. Even the lowly $20 12 year has its charms, and, as summer is just about here, I must mention that it's nice on ice (yes, yes, I know, I have sinned...).

While the island whiskies are fantastic in their own way, sometimes you can't beat a solid Speysider! :thumbup1:

Thing is I like scotch, but I can't justify spending more than $60 for a bottle. So I'm trying to find more economical persuasions.

Probably best way to say it is that Glenfiddich is not bad. Meaning it's quite an acceptable single Malt (worlds biggest seller if I'm not mistaken). And like others have said - it's a good starter single malt. As your experience and palate matures you may find yourself leaning towards a more peaty single malt like Talisker or Laphroig or perhaps a more gentle and smooth single malt like Dalwinnie or Highland Park. All ar excellent single malts, it's just a matter of matching the right one to the mood you happen to be in. Some of the Single malts aged in Port or Sherry Casks are nice ones to move to from a Glenfiddich, I've heard great things about the Glenfiddich Solera Reserve.

Remember though - no ice and just a seeze of distilled water to bring out the bouquet of the whisky.

What's wrong with ice? I've always heard it as scotch on the rocks...

Also, do the years of aging make a huge difference between otherwise identical scotchs or is it slight?

I like my Scotch with some ice, too, generally, unless I am really trying to evaluate something something very closely.

I have never heard this said exactly, but I suspect that moderately older Scotches are better in part because only better Scotches are allowed to age longer. The lesser quality ones are pulled and sold younger because aging is an expensive process. Not that aging up until say 18 years does not add complexity and quality in most Scotchs. Some older Scotches seem rather out of balance. To me the difference between, say, Glenlivet 12 and 18 is light years. Between Talisker 10 and 18 rather great. (By God I love Talisker!)

Not that one has to go about 10 to 12 years to get some great Scotch. Age tend sot make them heavier, too. Heavy is not always what one wants in a beverage.

Age makes a huge difference.
The Glenfiddich 12 is a light bodied, very drinkable scotch.
The 15, is more medium bodied, and needs to be savored a little more.
The 18, is an altogether different beastie.

Laphroaig 10 is available for 30 in most places (trader joes in particular)
The 10 year is harsh, smokey, peaty, and a general assault on your mouth.
I happen to love it, as is. (the harshness is mostly what a noob will pick up)

The 15 year old, is an absolute dream, and I have yet to try the 30 year, or the 40, but would kill for the chance.:biggrin:
The 15 has a much smoother feel to it, and while the smoke and peat are still there is a salty/iodiney note in the aftertaste.

I really don't get around to scotch much lately, too warm out.

Then an Isaly, for starters go with a young Bowmore. After that give Laphroaig, Lagavulin or Ardbeg a try. You will then be able to fully distinguish what it is you like in a malt.

I've found that newcomers to the Islays tend to have an easier time with Caol Ila than any of those listed above (especially Laphroaig, which, for all its many virtues, just. isn't. gentle.).

(caveat: I'm a cask-strength guy & I like my whisky as brutal and thuggish as possible!)

Gents, my own tastes may be a bit odd but......

A 15 year old malt does not taste better than it did 3 years before, it just tastes slightly different, and is rarer therefor more expensive.

I don't want to preach but sometimes I get worried when we apply the age and cost of a malt to determine whether it is 'better' than another. Just taste them and make your own mind up. Tamdhu is a fave of mine, it just happens to be cheap and young, and I have tried and enjoyed cask strength 30 year old malts.

Its your choice of course but 12 year old Glenfiddich is a very enjoyable drink, though there are others that I like more, and like I say they can be younger and/or cheaper.

End of sermon:lol:

Top Bottom