What's new

Glasses by Warby Parker - if you wear prescriptions, READ THIS.

Here they are - minimal adjustment needed. Lenses are very, very well made and the glasses are quite sturdy feeling. Very impressed.

proxy.php

keep in mind please that this pic was take late last night and i was running on about 2 hours of sleep the night before AND a day-long hangover. :) Hence why I look a bit rough.

These are the Nedwin style.
http://www.warbyparker.com/s.nl/it.A/id.144/.f?sc=9&category=-109

Also looking at adding the Thompson and Morrison styles as well, for some variety. Total cost shipped was around 135 (I have a high-aspect prescription, which added 30 to the price).

Someone has got to know of a similar service that operates in Canada!

I know of a few that let you try the glasses on "virtually," but it seems that finding one that sends you the glasses to try on first is rare...

Thanks!

Finally stopped deliberating and ordered a pair of Warbys. I got the Japhy model in black. I hope they work out. I have a very strong prescription so I went for the high index lenses for an additional $30. If they are serviceable and look good in person I'll be happy.

They are out of home try-ons, but you can still do a virtual try-on by uploading a photo of yourself. It actually seems to work pretty well.

Re: Shuron, I would love a pair of classic browline glasses in black, but 1) I doubt I can afford them right now, and 2) I'm pretty sure my SO would hate them.

I will post my thoughts when I receive my glasses in a couple weeks.

Update:

I was noticing that my eyes were feeling kinda strained lately with the new glasses. At first I just chalked it up to new lenses on larger frames... but as time went on, it didn't improve. On a whim, I checked the prescription I had used- and it was an outdated one. I had sent in the wrong one!!! The current prescription's cylinder was a bit different in each eye, which is exactly what could cause the strain I was under. I called Warby Parker to see what we could do about it - if I could order a new set of lenses only (because I love the frames and didn't see a need to buy new ones if I didn't have to) or whatever. The lady immediately took my new prescription and will be shipping a new pair to me along with a return label for my current glasses - NO CHARGE - despite my protestations that I was happy to purchase new lenses without a problem.

This is unbelievable service. This is the kind of thing that, to me, nails me as a permanent customer and evangelist. All companies could learn from Warby Parker.

That's great to hear.

Update:

I was noticing that my eyes were feeling kinda strained lately with the new glasses. At first I just chalked it up to new lenses on larger frames... but as time went on, it didn't improve. On a whim, I checked the prescription I had used- and it was an outdated one. I had sent in the wrong one!!! The current prescription's cylinder was a bit different in each eye, which is exactly what could cause the strain I was under. I called Warby Parker to see what we could do about it - if I could order a new set of lenses only (because I love the frames and didn't see a need to buy new ones if I didn't have to) or whatever. The lady immediately took my new prescription and will be shipping a new pair to me along with a return label for my current glasses - NO CHARGE - despite my protestations that I was happy to purchase new lenses without a problem.

This is unbelievable service. This is the kind of thing that, to me, nails me as a permanent customer and evangelist. All companies could learn from Warby Parker.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I really like the two-tone Fillmore model. Unfortunately they are out of stock. I'll give it some time. I have my eye on (no pun intended :rolleyes: ) a pair of two-tone Tart Arnels. The Fillmores are about 50 dollars cheaper though.

E

ellioy

Can anyone comment on the feel of the frames? I'm not assuming that they feel cheap but just wanted to check. How about the hinges?

I'm debating between the Colton and the Japhy(which are currently sold out).

I read about these guys on uncrate.com and shot them an email because I too have a hug noggin. The lady that replied was VERY helpful but informed me they were out of try at home kits. She did recommend some frames for bigger faces though so once they have these in stock I will definitely try. The price is right and the customer service is great. I also wear really strong contacts due to retinal tear in my left eye during the day so I just need these for at night. Can't wait, they seem very good and the pair you got look great. :thumbup:

Finally got my black Japhys and I'm wearing them now. The first pair came about a week after I ordered them but there was a problem. The lab ended up damaging the frame so you can imagine my disappointment. Anyway, I called WP about it and they got back to me within a couple of days and said they would have new glasses shipped out pronto, before I even had a chance to return the first pair. They actually paid for next day shipping so I would have them ASAP.

As for the look/feel of the glasses, they definitely don't feel like high end $500 frames but they certainly aren't noticeably worse than many of the sub $200 frames you find in a lot of optical stores. They are fairly sturdy and are totally serviceable for basic needs. I'm not sure, but it looks like the hinges may be made of some kind of cheaper metal, maybe zinc or pot metal. They don't look like stainless steel or titanium to me. They're very basic and open and close with some resistance...not all loose and floppy. They are not spring loaded though.

One thing I don't like a whole lot is the case. It's lined with some sort of synthetic felt material that leaves annoying little blue particles all over the glasses and lenses. I'll probably get something else for it when I can.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I have been meaning to post this for some time now. After reading this thread, I had looked around for frames and settled on a pair of the "Miles" frames. After my initial purchase of the Fillmore frame, I found that I did not like them and called Warby Parker to exchange them. They offered a free 5-day trial for any of five frames of my choosing. After the 5-day trial, I selected the one I preferred, sent them all back and they sent me the one I selected. I did not use their prescription offer as I took it to my own "eye-guy". Here is the box of frames upon arrival:

full

full

The frames:

full

full

full

The frames are great and I am very happy with my purchase. Their customer service is top-rate. :thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dead Thread Revival!!
I'll have to look into this since my bifocal progressives and my wife's each cost in excess of 1000 Euros each...without the VAT.
Of course, AETNA did cover $100 of the cost... :07:
Has anyone had any recent experiences with these guys or anyone similar?
I need prescription sunglasses as my eyes are getting more sensitive to the glare, especially while driving.

How do they have you measure Pupillary Distance?
Good question....... I took my granddaughter to Kaiser Hospital here in N. Calif. for glasses....I wanted to get her a spare set , but they refused to give me the pupillary distance stating " many online vendors have substandard plastic lenses that may shatter and harm the child".....I don't know if that was a line of BS to get me to spend more dough with them , but they absolutely would not give it to me.

sadly, must wear progressives.:crying::crying::crying:

marty
I first needed bifocals when I was 40 , that's 29 years ago...The old timers told me go with "executive trifocals" , I did , and have used them ever since. I could never go with the progressives , just to dizzying and slow focusing for me...Executives have that fantastic mid range lens that's so perfect for computer gazing...For laying down watching TV I use a cheap online purchased pair of "distance lens" only glasses. I got those from replace-a-lens.com in my old frames very cheap..

I get glasses for the Mrs and I through glasses USA. Very affordable, my prescription matched and they had tons of choices.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I called them yesterday in order to clarify a few things (my script is -4/-6, so I usually go polycarb or high index), and had a great chat with the guy on the line. Turns out they were in no way prepared for the business boom that GQ caused - the demand has been huge, and they're trying to keep up with the 'try at home' part of their business, so there's a bit of a wait to get your frames to try on.

Hopefully they have worked through the backlog by now.

I have two pairs of Warby Parkers and find them great. I did go to brick and mortar store to make initial purchase and then to have them adjusted from time to time. Excellent quality and value. I have progressives.

Top Bottom