What's new

Glass or Porcelain Container for 80 mm Soap Pucks

Trying to find a nice glass or porcelain container to hold my 80 mm diameter puck of Antica Barbieria Colla soap.

This Pyrex 1-cup container is very nice, but the bottom is just under 80 mm in diameter leaving an air gap. I could force or shave the puck, but I find that grating/shaving hard soap changes its consistency. I could also try to find inert disk(s) to put under the puck - like a couple of silver dollars. I would rate this solution as B+, and I am striving for an A to A+.

Any suggestions?

1640710363817.png

1640710333298.png

Honestly, grating your soap and forcing it into the bowl would be your best solution. I don't know why you're concerned about any alleged change in consistency - you're certainly changing the consistency when you make lather; the only thing you'd be adding to the soap after grating would be tiny air pockets/gaps between the soap flakes, and it most certainly wouldn't affect the lather creation.

In my opinion, looking for the "perfect" bowl/container to fit your soap puck is a fruitless pursuit. The simple solution is to fit the soap to the bowl.

Just a suggestion... a 4oz shave jar from Stirling has an internal diameter of 82.5mm. It only comes in green plastic, however.

That being said, I too have grated soap pucks in the past and, if anything, it actually improved ease of lathering without there being any impact on performance.

Honestly, grating your soap and forcing it into the bowl would be your best solution. I don't know why you're concerned about any alleged change in consistency - you're certainly changing the consistency when you make lather; the only thing you'd be adding to the soap after grating would be tiny air pockets/gaps between the soap flakes, and it most certainly wouldn't affect the lather creation.

In my opinion, looking for the "perfect" bowl/container to fit your soap puck is a fruitless pursuit. The simple solution is to fit the soap to the bowl.

I second this suggestion. I do that often.

I have a bunch of containers I bought from Mike's Natural Soaps that are great for pressing a puck of Mike's, Stirling or Tabac into - takes about 2 minutes using a soup spoon and your index finger.

I like the idea of preserving as much of the ABC puck as possible using @Ravenonrock's method.

See if you can find a ramekin that is the right diameter. Your glass bowl has sloped sides. A remekin has straight sides. In case you are not familiar with ramekins, those are the ceramic dishes used to bake custards like creme brulee. They come in a variety of sizes. You just need to find one that fits your puck.

Porcelain latte mugs, some have covers. To get a perfect fit, just shave a tiny bit of soap off the bottom of your puck to fill in the gaps, add a bit of warm water and then press the puck into the mug so it won't move around.

1640736825131.png

I ended up using the Graham (@Ravenonrock) method using a peeler to remove a smaller portion of soap from around the bottom edge, and then placing the shavings underneath the puck. Much less work than shredding the entire puck, and the Pyrex 1-cup container feels great in the hand, and you can buy them with lids should you want to stack them.

For the record, I did end up looking at the ramekins in a home goods store, but the ones I saw had indented sides making them narrower than the Pyrex containers.

1640816029485.png

1640816102522.png

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I ended up using the Graham (@Ravenonrock) method using a peeler to remove a smaller portion of soap from around the bottom edge, and then placing the shavings underneath the puck. Much less work than shredding the entire puck, and the Pyrex 1-cup container feels great in the hand, and you can buy them with lids should you want to stack them.

For the record, I did end up looking at the ramekins in a home goods store, but the ones I saw had indented sides making them narrower than the Pyrex containers.

View attachment 1385810

View attachment 1385811
Necessity…the mother of invention.

View attachment 1385810

View attachment 1385811
[/QUO

I do exactly the same thing with the MWF puck that I keep in the shower. I actually prefer sloping sides on the container for hard pucks. You use the puck more evenly that way. You avoid getting that ring of soap that clings to the edges of the container when you get to the end of the puck.

I have " melted " all my soaps into mason jars.

1) less mess when loading because the resultant soap surface is a few centimetres below the jar's rim.

2) scent keeps better compared to an open glass or ceramic container.

Explanatory note : " melted " not via a microwave oven but soap is chopped up and placed in the mason jar which in turn is placed in a saucepan of boiling water.

Microwaving will probably destroy the scent.

IMG_20211219_150845~5.jpg

Last edited:
I was in Whole Foods looking at the tea and by chance looked down and saw the Pyrex 1-cup glass containers for a very attractive price. Coincidence or what?

My European pucks are very happy!

1640881222135.png

Top Bottom