What's new

Glad to find this forum

Welcome to the club. I also am a relative newbie here! And it’s true. Heed their advice. It has become a passion. Not quite as expensive as golf. But that’s how they get you.

Example: On February 25, 2023, I owned one DE razor, no brushes, no soap, no aftershave, no pre-shave and 5 DE blades.

Today, 43 days later: I own 8 DE razors, 5 badger brushes, 4 synthetic brushes, 18 tubs of soap, 600 DE blades, 3 aftershaves, and a pre-shave jar.

I also have another DE razor, a custom handle, a zenith boar brush, and 100 more blades in the mail.

Next stop for me is the Gentlemanly restraint boards.

Last edited:
Lol, I read enough on hear the last couple days to convince me to bid on a Vintage 1940's Gold Tech with the Fat Handle. Just got one off eBay for $25.
And so it begins!
Welcome to B&B.
Once you use a tech you’ll be itching to try a Gillette Slim or Fatboy, it’s just a matter of time!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome to B&B! I started with a VDH razor as well. My two pennies would be GO SLOW with the purchases. You have what you need and seem to be getting good results. No need to crawl through all the rabbit holes. I assume you'll be shaving for many years to come. The Buy Sell Trade is a great place to find some treasures and send others to new homes. Most importantly I am glad you've found a way to shave that works better than what you were doing previously. I look forward to reading more.

Happy shaves!

First experience with the Tech was nice. It’s lighter than what I have been using, I like the small head for under the nose. This should be everyone’s beginner razor. Mild yet effective, used the astra green and got done in 2 passes and a touch up on my neck. I travel for work so it will be a great little razor that packs well. Thanks for the recommendation.

E

First experience with the Tech was nice. It’s lighter than what I have been using, I like the small head for under the nose. This should be everyone’s beginner razor. Mild yet effective, used the astra green and got done in 2 passes and a touch up on my neck. I travel for work so it will be a great little razor that packs well. Thanks for the recommendation.

E
Try the tech with a sharper blade like a Gillette Nacet or PermaSharpEdge and it goes up a level in aggressiveness while maintaining comfort.

"Welcome to the Jungle..."

- Axl Rose​

Welcome to B&B!

Very glad to hear that what you have gleaned thus far from these pages has already improved your shave. 😎👍

I've been a member here since 2019 but was lurking about in the shadows as far back as 2008 or so. I've learned a very great deal along the way and I'm certain that you will as well.

One of the most remarkable things I've witnessed over the years is the evolution of new members. Often, they arrive full of questions and tales of nicks, razor-burn, etc.

They subsequently receive all kinds of excellent advice and guidance from folks who genuinely care about steering them in the right direction.

Most of the time, that guidance is heeded and valuable experience is gained. Lessons are learned, technique refined. And then after a while that 'beginner' turns into a veteran shaver, capable of passing out advice of their own to those newly arrived.

And thus, what has been received is given straight back and the cycle of mentorship continues unabated. IMHO, this is the very special magic of this place.

Hopefully, this will be your experience as well. Good luck and have fun!

Welcome to the forum! I'll just say that as long as your equipment is fairly decent, your technique is more important than the equipment.

If you read the forum a lot, you will be "enabled" to buy a lot more stuff than you really need. So, just focus on getting good shaves for awhile instead of buying everything under the sun in search of nirvana.

Remember, a shaving soap might last three to six months of daily use. A 100-pack of blades could last a year or two. You really only need a few razors.

Top Bottom