What's new

Giving up on DE razors. Yet to find my Goldilocks razor.

Question: How does one shave below the pores of the skin with a single straight blade? One doesn’t. So this means when a hand is rubbed over the face checking, one can still feel stubble that is just below the surface in the pores. This is not BBS in my opinion.:)
Dr. Moss, of another forum, tells the story (paraphrased here) when as a youngster watching his father shave a single pass with an SE, with the grain. His father thought it an acceptable, desirable shave. When the young Moss ran his hands over his father's face ATG, he complained about the stubble. His father replied, "that's not fair."

Hi,

Just wanted to say I have been a big lurker who mostly reads over the last few years. I have tried a majority of all the popular razors that people suggest and I can’t find that razor that gets me the mythical bbs , irritation free shave. Best I can do is DFS with two passes. Most often I shoot for the one pass to avoid ingrown hairs. I’ve tried several Merkers, EJ, including a slant and adjustable. A slew of Gillette razors, feather as-d2, twitch ,single edge, adjustables from Gillette . A lot . I’ve tried mild, medium and aggressive razors. The aggressive seems to kill me the most .My last ditch effort is the Henson mild before I Chuck everything and go back to the Gillette Sensor excel carts.

Anyone else still yet to find that mythical dream razor after years of searching and spending ?
My diamondback 2020 is magical. A Ti Blackbird and also a blackbird lite are great. Tradere SB with a Kai blade. Trust me, I suffer from folliculitis and psoriasis. I need an efficient, blade forward (positive exposure) razor with zero pressure combined with good soap and I’m in heaven.

You have listed mostly mild razors in my opinion. Moderately aggressive without a huge gap sealed it for me.

But, I can also do a single pass with a straight and be great for the day.

Cartridge razors guarantee my folliculitis is coming, then psoriasis will follow…

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Dr. Moss, of another forum, tells the story (paraphrased here) when as a youngster watching his father shave a single pass with an SE, with the grain. His father thought it an acceptable, desirable shave. When the young Moss ran his hands over his father's face ATG, he complained about the stubble. His father replied, "that's not fair."

When I read about those who can rub their hand against the grain and ‘not feel ANY stubble at all?’ I can’t help but get the question in my mind; “ how did they succeed, shaving the stubble below the surface that are down in the pores, which one could still feel, by rubbing one’s hand against the grain?

Not trying to doubt those who testify to this report, but again, BBS, YMMV and mythical unicorns and stuff…. :)

Gonna echo a lot of the sentiments already expressed here.

This may sound strange but when I shave, the goal I have in mind is less the achieving of something (insert acronym here) but more the avoidance of several things. Such as...cuts, nicks, irritation, ingrowns, looking/feeling like a bum, etc.

The level of closeness I end up with is anecdotally interesting I suppose, but not really the target.

The actual target is for my face to feel and look groomed, comfortable and healthy.

If I suddenly found that I could no longer do that with a DE and needed a Sensor for example, so be it.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Gonna echo a lot of the sentiments already expressed here.

This may sound strange but when I shave, the goal I have in mind is less the achieving of something (insert acronym here) but more the avoidance of several things. Such as...cuts, nicks, irritation, ingrowns, looking/feeling like a bum, etc.

The level of closeness I end up with is anecdotally interesting I suppose, but not really the target.

The actual target is for my face to feel and look groomed, comfortable and healthy.

If I suddenly found that I could no longer do that with a DE and needed a Sensor for example, so be it.

Nicely said.

Just proving an update now that it’s been a while. I purchased a Henson razor mild and it’s very good. Completely fool proof to me so long as I don’t apply pressure. I also revisited my Muhle r89 which is a tad more aggressive but is the best I’ve found as far as efficiency and no irritation goes. I also just got a supply SE a just to try it out and they work very well. I find it a little mild like the Henson mild. I’m on the fence if I should try the Henson medium/ more aggressive offering , or just go with the Muhle r89 which I’m completely fine with.

I've come to believe that a true BBS shave is mostly a myth
This is correct. It's like Nirvana. Shaving Nirvana. Whatever you want to call it. It's the goal of meditation, the ultimate, the Form {a perfect shave} if you're Platonic.

Most guys in the past didn't do more than one or two passes. Most guys didn't care to get that close. As hobbyists now, we tinker around trying to perfect our shaves, but for the most part, 99% of our shaves - even the "bad" ones - would've been fine for those guys.

Tinker around, have fun, don't try to get to the acme, the peak, perfection - just do a pass or two, or three, if you feel like it. It's fun to play around with all the accoutrements but it's also easy to not see the forest for the trees.

Just shave.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hi,

Just wanted to say I have been a big lurker who mostly reads over the last few years. I have tried a majority of all the popular razors that people suggest and I can’t find that razor that gets me the mythical bbs , irritation free shave. Best I can do is DFS with two passes. Most often I shoot for the one pass to avoid ingrown hairs. I’ve tried several Merkers, EJ, including a slant and adjustable. A slew of Gillette razors, feather as-d2, twitch ,single edge, adjustables from Gillette . A lot . I’ve tried mild, medium and aggressive razors. The aggressive seems to kill me the most .My last ditch effort is the Henson mild before I Chuck everything and go back to the Gillette Sensor excel carts.

Anyone else still yet to find that mythical dream razor after years of searching and spending ?
Straight razors. No nicks and no irritation.

I have been a reader for a quite while, since I started wet shaving 7 months ago but just now decided to join. I was first chasing that BBS, with all the nicks, irritations, weepers and cuts but now just look for a nice DFS and I am good to go.

I enjoy shaving now to where before to me it was a chore plus with all the awesome products out there to use, which I would not have known about if not for wet shaving, its trial and error but its also something I enjoy and look forward to doing and always learning. I look at it as a hobby and was said earlier on this page, I do want to shave where I get no cuts, weepers, irritation or ingrown hairs and feel good afterwards.

Just proving an update now that it’s been a while. I purchased a Henson razor mild and it’s very good. Completely fool proof to me so long as I don’t apply pressure. I also revisited my Muhle r89 which is a tad more aggressive but is the best I’ve found as far as efficiency and no irritation goes. I also just got a supply SE a just to try it out and they work very well. I find it a little mild like the Henson mild. I’m on the fence if I should try the Henson medium/ more aggressive offering , or just go with the Muhle r89 which I’m completely fine with.
The medium is only "mildly" (pun intended) more aggressive than the mild. For me, it is barely noticeable. I would recommend giving the aggressive +++ Henson a try. It is way more efficient than the mild, but has the same foolproof razor geometry and shaving technique as the mild/medium...if you do not apply a lot of pressure. The V2 aggressive Henson razors have sold well on buy/sell/trade, so you would have little to lose. You may even find one on BST at a good price, if you keep looking. I think that you will like it and keep it, once you try it.

Been DE shaving for 7 years now and the Muhle R89 is my favorite razor.

For a person that shaves every day, the R89 is hard to beat.

I'm also a big fan of all Muhle products. I use their synthetic brush, razor/brush stand, porcelain shaving bowl and sandalwood soap.

Last edited:
Take a look at the High Proof razor. Takes half of a DE blade, has a swivel head and is made of anodized aluminum. It's a mild razor and gives a great shave.

That High Proof looks interesting.
Looking to replace my Sensor II cartridge razor that I love, but the carts are getting hard to find.
I have ordered a Razorock GC and if that doesn’t work out, I’ll try the high proof.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
That High Proof looks interesting.
Looking to replace my Sensor II cartridge razor that I love, but the carts are getting hard to find.
I have ordered a Razorock GC and if that doesn’t work out, I’ll try the high proof.
Which Razorock GC did you order?

~doug~

Top Bottom