What's new

Giving up on DE razors. Yet to find my Goldilocks razor.

Really like if it you’re asking me. The only caveat is edging a sharp beard line is a little on the harder side. I’m considering a muhle r89 as well , or just using the trac ii as that is far easier to get a straight line on the neck as shaping the cheeks with a full beard.
Great! The Henson works well for many people.

For an inexpensive edging razor, I use a Maggard V3M.

Really like if it you’re asking me. The only caveat is edging a sharp beard line is a little on the harder side. I’m considering a muhle r89 as well , or just using the trac ii as that is far easier to get a straight line on the neck as shaping the cheeks with a full beard.
Super. Hope you can find something that suits your needs. There really is a myriad of options and variables so it can take some time and exploration.

I use a Henson AL13+++, due to it's comfort and efficiency. I now own nearly 60 safety razors (modern & vintage), and the Henson is my favorite. None of my safety razors, including the Henson, has a head where the edges of the blade are at the edge of the safety bar on the bottom plate. This makes edging a less than perfect experience. The Razorock Lupo Stainless Steel is the best in that respect, due to it's cut corners (Even better than Carbon CX). Therefore, I typically use a Schick disposable razor, the Xtreme 2 (formerly known as Slim Twin ST2) to do any edging at the end of my shaves. I have used this process with all of my razors, including the Henson. The Schick gives me nearly perfect edging 99 percent of the time. If anyone knows of a safety razor that places the edge of the blade closer to the edge of the safety bar...than the RR Lupo SS, I would love to know about it. I do like the Leaf Twig SE, but Leaf designers put the edge of the blade far from the edge of the safety bar. For those of you who use straights and shavettes, I know they can do edging better than a safety razor, I get it...but this comment applies only to safety razors. I suggest that Chickencutlets try my method for edging.

I loaded up an old Muhle r89 with a feather blade and honestly, I had an excellent shave! I think I may like the more aggressive razor and now I’m curious if the more aggressive Henson is more up my alley than the mild is.one thing I found after using carts for nearly a year is I need to lighten up on the pressure.

I typically use a Schick disposable razor, the Xtreme 2 (formerly known as Slim Twin ST2) to do any edging at the end of my shaves

Looking at the Extreme 2, it looks very similar to the Trac II or the still available Gillette PII. Which I think does a good job at edging.

While the King C. Gillette is a thicker head, like the DE89, it is still thin enough for me to be able to edge accurately.

The weight seems to work in its benefit. The most difficult area for me to edge precisely is above and below my mustache.

On the top, space is the major consideration. Below it is cutting vertically through the horizontal mustache hairs. The KCG and the DE89 do a good job with this..

I regularly use an R41. But I fo not find it ideal for my mustache area. At the end of the regular shave, I place my blade into a Wilkinson Sword TTO razor that I keep on the counter. The head is fairly thin on this $14 razor and works well for the trim.

For those of you who use straights and shavettes, I know they can do edging better than a safety razor,

Curious... I have never used a shavette. It looks like an optimum choice for trimming. Why do you not use it?

I loaded up an old Muhle r89 with a feather blade and honestly, I had an excellent shave!

I use all of my two dozen blades that I have quantities of in all of my different razors.

I find that it is no more difficult to shave with any blade in one razor or another..

I happened to shave with the King C Gillette earlier today..

I bought the R41 head to use with the KCG handle. I don't consider using the R41 any more difficult than the KCG or the DE89, with the exception of the area around my mustache. The R41 does shave a bit closer.

one thing I found after using carts for nearly a year is I need to lighten up on the pressure.

True that. Which is the "secret" to DE shaving.

I do like the r89 over the Henson if wearing a beard and trying to follow a sharp edge line. It’s more plausible. I remember the Gillette techs were the most superior but not as close of a shave.

I have never used one but that was what came to mind, just looking at the thin head design.

I notice that there are some similar designs by modern companies, fir not a lit if money.

No problem in using different razors for different purposes. I tend to like more aggressive/efficient razors for general face shaving but I often use the Maggard V3M (which has a Tech-type design, with very low profile head) for edging and shaving the back of my neck.

I can get in there pretty good with the Muhle r89. I honestly wish I could find it in stainless steel and just be done as I think this razor would suit my needs in most any case. It’s as good in edging as the two blade razors I’ve been accustomed too. The tech is good for getting in tight tight places.

I still need to try some other blades, but I keep coming back to the Rockwell 6s - had to use one for 10 months while traveling, and I rarely got a bad shave with it (For me anyway).

still would like to try a nodachi cap with my Tatara Masamune…. I need to sell my nodachi base plate.

Or, if I keep reading these forums, go down the vintage Gillette rabbit hole.

Curious... I have never used a shavette. It looks like an optimum choice for trimming. Why do you not use it?
You are correct...it is the optimum choice. The shavette requires attention and takes more time than using a simple disposable which requires zero attention and pretty much gets the same result. Also, the shavette blades are actually more expensive per shave than the disposables I use. I still can buy 12 of the disposables for between $4.50 and $6.00 with a manufacturers coupon! I purchase them at groceries and drug stores, and try to get them "on sale". When used for edging, I typically get 6+ shaves with the Schick. A shavette or a straight will always require a lot of attention for newbies and "some" attention for people with years of experience...they are not idiot proof like cartridges and most disposables.

If anyone knows of a safety razor that places the edge of the blade closer to the edge of the safety bar...than the RR Lupo SS, I would love to know about it.

Looking through my various razors, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of variation with regard as to how close the edge of the blade is to the safety bar.

I can't say that this is any revelation, since it makes sense that the blade would need to be about the same distance from the safety bar to your skin.

My issues with proper edging have been associated with wide heads on cartridge blade razors, beyond two blades.

While it would seem that a single DE blade would be the answer, they generally are not because they have thick heads.

This not only obstructs knowing where the blade actually is positioned but also makes it far more difficult for me to trim under my nose and above my mustache.

I did already share your interest in this subject. Back at the beginning of January, I ordered a Lord L5 razor and it arrived Saturday.

This razor still has the blade back from the safety bar but it has an extremely thin head. This does better allow me to know more precisely where the blade edge is.

I shaved with it earlier today for the first time.

RazorBladesClub appears to still carry them for $7.99 plus free shipping.

proxy.php

This ultra thin head is perfect for edging. Bring super thin, it was perfect for shaving above my mustache.

I had some reservations because it is commonly referred to as a Tech Clone and a ultra mild razor. I shaved today with the Wizamet (2). It did seem very mild, I couldn't really feel the blade. My other razors would be more agressive when compared to the L5.

The shave turned out perfectly! No facial irritation at all and very close. Trimming was perfect. I doubt if it gets any thinner than this and the price is certainly right!

Hi,

Just wanted to say I have been a big lurker who mostly reads over the last few years. I have tried a majority of all the popular razors that people suggest and I can’t find that razor that gets me the mythical bbs , irritation free shave. Best I can do is DFS with two passes. Most often I shoot for the one pass to avoid ingrown hairs. I’ve tried several Merkers, EJ, including a slant and adjustable. A slew of Gillette razors, feather as-d2, twitch ,single edge, adjustables from Gillette . A lot . I’ve tried mild, medium and aggressive razors. The aggressive seems to kill me the most .My last ditch effort is the Henson mild before I Chuck everything and go back to the Gillette Sensor excel carts.

Anyone else still yet to find that mythical dream razor after years of searching and spending ?
I think what you need is a big bad wedge razor. It may be a learning curve for you, but You will likely find it easier than you think.

If you wish to stick with safety razors, then I recommend you try the Gem format with the carbon steel blades. The steel is much softer than stainless, but far more comfortable.

Please explain precisely exactly how you would shave, from beginning to end, using for instance a razor and blade of your choice, what brush and what soap/cream you would choose.

Please go into minute detail as to every step you take.

The community can not help if you do not give every detail.

I suspect technique may be the problem. I also sense an impatience, that you wish to reach this SSF (Smooth, Smooth Face) as I call it by switching tools. I do actually achieve it regularly now with any one of my 20+ razors, but it took time and some tweaking of what I did.

Buying or trying 40 razors, etc is not the answer, that lies in mastering 1. You can then master any other razor you own. The prinicipals are basically the same. Technique is the key with the bedrock of patience.

This help we can offer may involve you re-evaluating every step and process you take in shaving with a DE and if necessary re-learning or adapting it. It's worth it!

Please help us by giving every shaving step you take, for much can be gleaned from the most minor step.

Please analyse your typical shave, and report it fully to us.

We are only trying to help, i'm sure you understand that.
Yep. Early on I introduced several razors, a dozen blades and 5 soaps. I was all over the place and couldn’t “zero in” my technique as I was dealing with a different set of variables every shave. When I stuck with one routine for a while, just like you said, every different combo was easer.

I have "only" 4 razors.
Wilkinson Sword classic
Mühle R89
Fatip Picolo
Mühle R41

From mild to aggressive. My first adjustable is on the way, Gillette 'black beauty'.

My last safety for a while will be a slant. That way I'll have All the common DE types.

Yet I don't think I'll achieve what I'm looking for - a reasonably close shave with no irritation, no ingrown hairs that Can be done daily. I have tried for more than 2 years and only got a handful of shaves that I have Been Happy with. The only way for me seems to be to shave every third day, to let my hair grow out properly, pull it out with tweezers if it gets stuck underneath the skin and let the skin heal from the damage that Has Been done.

I switched to SRs now and I'm way closer to my goal of a daily comfortable shave. Shaves with a SR (shavette including) are simply better then with anything else for me. If you have someone nearby that Can hone a SR for you for 20-30$, you Can go that way. I don't, so I spent around 350$ for a set of hones and some tools to help while honing. You Can go cheaper. But that's a price 10-15 honing sessions, or 3-4 Nice razors. For SRs, you Can hone a 5$ Gold Dollar into a Nice shaver, or you Can huby vintages for 20-30$ and hone them into even better shavers. If I learned how to hone, pretty much anyone can because I never had talent in my hands. I got loads of help on this forum while learning. It took about 3 days to get a Nice shave with my own edge.

I just want to say, maybe if you gave straight razors a try, you might find something that works better for you then safety razors. I was hesitant at first, but I gave it a go and I was not dissapointed at all. And to be honest, all the money spent on my SRs or honing gear would be spent elsewhere anyway...

Now I'm learning how to restore those 10-15$ straight razors that look terrible, but have great steel and geometry underneath the rust. I Can invest 5$ and a few hours into such razor (including new, self Made scales) and have a piece that's worth 150$. There goes a new hobby and a feeling of satisfaction.

So anyway, if a Philips OneBlade works for you like for majority of young man today (basically all my friends use that), be Happy and that's All there is to the matter. But, you know, just sharing my experience.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Hi,

Just wanted to say I have been a big lurker who mostly reads over the last few years. I have tried a majority of all the popular razors that people suggest and I can’t find that razor that gets me the mythical bbs , irritation free shave. Best I can do is DFS with two passes. Most often I shoot for the one pass to avoid ingrown hairs. I’ve tried several Merkers, EJ, including a slant and adjustable. A slew of Gillette razors, feather as-d2, twitch ,single edge, adjustables from Gillette . A lot . I’ve tried mild, medium and aggressive razors. The aggressive seems to kill me the most .My last ditch effort is the Henson mild before I Chuck everything and go back to the Gillette Sensor excel carts.

Anyone else still yet to find that mythical dream razor after years of searching and spending ?

Why go back to a cartridge? Is it giving you a better shave then the two passes you get with a DE? If you are, then I understand, but going back because you can’t get a ‘mythical’ BBS? What if BBS is actually a ‘myth?’

BBS falls into the same mental construct as YMMV? I could tell you, BBS isn’t a ‘myth’. Why? Because there’s no such thing as ‘BBS.’ Sure, someone is going to respond and say; “yes there is BBS, because I get BBS all the time.” That’s where I respond back with the other construct of; “YMMV.”

Now do you see? Just because someone says there is, doesn’t make it so for you? And just because I say; “there isn’t”, doesn’t make it so for anyone else who does or can.

My suggestion would be to practice improving your two- pass technique. I have been shaving with DE, SE, Injector, Straight and Shavette going on a decade now. I only do a two pass ‘modified’ with all of them. Regardless of the type of razor. Technique will always be greater then Tools.

And what’s wrong with a DFS? I only ever aim for DFS? DFS is a perfectly awesome shave?
Why is that? Could it be, because for guys like us, there is no such thing as BBS? For those that have soft hair on their face and it all just smoothly melts away? Then YMMV. For those who say they have a course beard and their skill and technique just happens to be other worldly and blows our skill to shave out of the water? Then YMMV.

Also, tell me; what is the definition of BBS? I find, everyone’s definition is different? So those that say they get BBS, what is their personal definition of that?
My definition would be, to rub your hand in every direction, including against the grain and not feeling any resistance, just smooth skin.

Question: How does one shave below the pores of the skin with a single straight blade? One doesn’t. So this means when a hand is rubbed over the face checking, one can still feel stubble that is just below the surface in the pores. This is not BBS in my opinion, but my opinion along with everyone else’s opinion is YMMV? :)

Imo, Work on perfecting your two pass shave, making the DFS you get as close and comfortable as you can. And you won’t miss not getting a BBS which doesn’t exist and you won’t be lacking for the comfortable shave of a cartridge, because you will be getting comfortable close shaves with your DE.

Again, your miles may vary. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom